At work with Gav

Gav836

great pics gav , the new grader looks well kept for it's age , real shame it'll be stored outside but sprayed over with diesel/oil mix it shouldn't start ageing overnight !

i used to dread  harvesting in the dust , apart from brused potatoes,you at least knew what you'de be doing out of season ..................... replaceing many of the bearings due to dustgrinding  ::) especially for the main web agitators , well your luckier than i was, as i then had to get the harvester reconfigured for parsnips  >:(

great pictures gav , the new grader looks well kept for it's age , real shame it'll be stored outside but sprayed over with diesel/oil mix it shouldn't start ageing overnight !

i used to dread  harvesting in the dust , apart from brused potatoes,you at least knew what you'de be doing out of season ..................... replaceing many of the bearings due to dustgrinding  ::) especially for the main web agitators , well your luckier than i was, as i then had to get the harvester reconfigured for parsnips  >:(

We can't do that Marcus as its then a case of contamination of the potato's when we re-use it, we have to be very careful about oil getting anywhere near the spuds let alone diesel these days ;)

Here's a few pictures from today, the flat screen monitor shows the cleaning table and the other one is on the elevator for seeing into trailers and where the backs of them are

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0973.jpg

This is the business end of the harvester, these 2 pairs of piggy back pumps circulate the 400 litres of oil round the machine to where its required. It was the mounting flange on the pair in the second picture which blew apart last night and has already cracked again as you can see in the last picture :-\

DSCN0991.jpg

DSCN0995.jpg

DSCN0994.jpg

We can't do that Marcus as its then a case of contamination of the potato's when we re-use it, we have to be very careful about oil getting anywhere near the spuds let alone diesel these days ;)

yes i spsoe yer right never thought of it like that before , looks like a big tarp for the time being then , what about a film of vegetable oil ? would that last out of season ?

nasty crack there gav is this down to bad casting , just the workload they do or just a stress position ? used an old grimme colt destoner & because of the lack of flex in the main pipes the casting at the bolting area would go luckily not the actual pump

We think the bearings are on the way out in the main gearbox that drives the pumps allowing some movement and vibration on the shaft, will know more tomorrow morning when we have an investigation into it

would it be any advantage to fitting rubber washers to help with the vibration ?

Here's some pictures of the cracked flanges, bottom flange was the first one where it blew the pump clean off the gearbox. Other two pics are the cause of the flange problem, the old pump had a damaged shaft on it and possible internal fault so I had a trip to Ely today to get a new one, spent 4 hours fitting it this afternoon, several pipes to be swapped over with a mixture of metric and imperial fittings ::)

016-2.jpg

014-6.jpg

015-1.jpg

A few more pics for you  from the past couple of days, switched the grader round to start putting our other variety of spuds into our store at the farm so we could keep lifting while they sort the box store out for us.

003-3.jpg

Another good load leaves the field ;D

001-4.jpg

002-5.jpg

And what happens when the irrigator only finishes putting an inch of water on 4 hours before we want to lift the field, had to abandon it until tomorrow

004-5.jpg

We don't actually know what is wrong with that pump other than a damaged shaft, only looks a mess as I had to remove 8 or 9 hoses and one valve off it to refit to the new one

My row crops are 16 inches wide and the harvester has a powered axle, came close to getting stuck a few times but the harvester kept pushing me

Yeah they were a mess. Have since been told the actual price of the pump.......glad I was sitting down as its a good chunk of what the harvester is worth :o :o

Can quite imagine a small chemical pump at work was £3000 hydraulic pumps seem to cost the earth for some reason maybe it is because they are cast ???

nice gav ;) have you still got the student?

Well he worked yesterday...........got quite a bit of damage to repair to a trailer apparently >:(

Just had an interesting call off my boss though, sudden sense of relief at the minute ;)

Ricky, harvester is 10 years old and lifted approx 500 acres a year for its first 5-6 years so won't be any come back on it now :D

Well he worked yesterday...........got quite a bit of damage to repair to a trailer apparently >:(

Just had an interesting call off my boss though, sudden sense of relief at the minute ;)

Ricky, harvester is 10 years old and lifted approx 500 acres a year for its first 5-6 years so won't be any come back on it now :D

oh right, thought that load of taters looked a bit big for him  :D

They were moving barley from the potato store to the corn store yesterday apparently he's bent the pipe rack over on the trailer, ripped the brake pipe off the axle and the tailboard hoses are ripped off, he reckons they caught on the lift arms when turning............what a load of ballcocks, must think we fell off the last banana boat ::)