At work with Gav

Gav836

Its the same size as the current one give or take a little

They're looking for approx £25k for it, wouldn't get a Grimme for anywhere near that in that condition at that age besides which I wouldn't want one

Not trading the old one in Sean, trying to sell it privately if not we'll keep it and scrap it for parts for the new one as we think most are interchangeable.

It is Marky but the current one could cost a considerable amount to get ready for this season and at 12 seasons old this year you have to think hard about what to spend and its future reliability i.e do we spend £10k getting the old one ready or spend that and a bit extra on another one :-\

It may well be, the delay behind the building of the original Enterprise model I was planning has now been revealed :D

looks good Gav, and i reckon it wont let you down!! :) :) :)

and on the convo front, at least you have one to hand when you need that extra measurement! ;) ;)

Exactly, thats been the problem with the Enterprise, I've not got one nearby to go to each time I need to check something on it. A new harvester was always talked about for this season so I held off as there was a chance it would be an Enterprise I could have made use of. Now I know what we're getting I can act accordingly ;D

What is the tank for on top of the harvester Gav? Looks a neat machine but it seems very heavy with little visibility IMHO but you are used to that of course. Very strange for me to see it suited for a PUH!

Good luck with it, hope it does well. I quite fancied the tyres instead of the diabolo rolls for depth control but on this model they seem to have fitted a miniature steam roller! It is driven it seems as two hydraulics lines are beside it?

Thanks Niels. Its a water kit on top of the machine, never had anything to do with them before. It is a heavy machine at 7500kg but its too good a deal to turn down in our opinion, the visibility isn't as bad as you might think once you get used to it.

The Vision hasn't been offered with the lgp tyre option as far as I'm aware, that was on the Pearson derived Enterprise and QM machines as far as I know. The diablos on this are indeed driven which should prove useful on some of the lighter fluffy land we now grow spuds on, it was a nightmare this year for bulldozing

7500kg is quite something! Our Grimme weighs about 5500kg, a fair difference. What is the water kit used for, spraying it on top of the tubers as they cross the spiral cleaning rolls?

Seems to me, if you have a lot of problems with bulldozing, you might as well get rid of them? A small skid coupled to an electric sensor does the trick as well. Our main concern is compacting the ridges which won't sieve as easily. We previously used rubber sleeves over the steel rollers but in dry conditions they tend to tear within a day or two, costing around £100 it sets you back a fair bit!

They are Ricky, two big hydraulic motors that can be turned on and off as required with two power settings, standard and extra power, the latter will push the tractor along on concrete. We wouldn't be able to move on a lot of our land without it in a wet season

Crikey, Some of our ground that wet let for potatoes last year is very very steep, McCurdys have a standen pearson harvester, the SAME was on her knees trying to drive the harvester and climb the hill,

The trailers along side had fun too but the oil drive uses alot of power up compared to a direct drive shaft

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I updated this topic, mainly due to the snow and wet weather. I've spent the last few weeks carrying out a major overhaul of our de-stoner ready for potato planting, think the bill stands at around £5-6000 to date :of  and between times helping with the cows as they are currently calving.

However I did pick up our new sprayer Monday and we got it all set up in the field with the dealers engineer yesterday. As soon as it dries out enough I'll be putting the liquid fertiliser on the rape and silage land with it

001-18.jpg

008-10.jpg

009-16.jpg

Its fitted with a tracking drawbar so the sprayer wheels follow the tractor wheels rather than running more crop down

010-11.jpg

The control panel

002-18.jpg

Screen readout showing rate in litres per hectare, colour of nozzle fitted, area covered, spraying pressure and ground speed

004-16.jpg

Is that the 'free sprayer' they are giving away with some new tractor purchases Gav ???

Now then.. questions from a novice Towney...

How do you buy liquid fertilizer mate ??? - does it come in plastic drums (recycling opportunity for me) ???

Also... in the second picture.. why does it have an electrical transformer and telegraph poles on the roof  :of;D???

I'll get you a picture of the liquid fertiliser tanks Marky, I think we buy it either by the litre or the cubic metre, we bought two 40 cubic metre tanks during the winter, it all arives from Omex at Kings Lynn by tanker so no recycling for you. We went over to it because of the amount of days we lose to the wind with granular fertiser in our coastal location and to save on the amount of plastic waste 500kg bags create

The poles are to power the control box ;D ;D