At work with Gav

Gav836

After the rain we cleared one of the fields of bales ready to plough for forage rape, we normally wouldn't plough for this but there is a herbicide residue on the field that would have wiped the seedlings out had we min tilled it. All was going well until I turned into the last furrow on the field and heard a very loud hiss from the front of the tractor......

inethough025.jpg

The offending flint >:(

inethough026.jpg

Tyre now has a gator over the slash and a tube in it, once we have the row crops on we will be sending it away for a manufacturers repair

i hope that was you baling with the new case gav, not the boss?? or even the student,

as for the rape, theres a good few crops been cut high stubble wise like that down here to, and weird as it sounds most of the combines have been looking white after they finish, so i wonder if the mildue is arround all over due to the dry weather

Definately me, I spent the days swapping between baler and combine as the boss had to go do other things some of the time. No one else knows how to use the baler at present either

• 3 weeks later...

I see the between the two readouts there is a drop of 26% engine load and yet the rest of the stats remain almost the same. So from that I'd say the new girl must have a good amount of torque coming when the engine comes up to full engine load. Also, this is without boost too isn't it? So how are you finding her having had her at wo opposite ends of the spectrum, baling and ploughing then?

Lovely straight furrow too mate.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

The tractors going well thanks Mark other than a small oil leak due to someone fitting two o-rings instead of one to a valve block bung there's been no problems

I see the between the two readouts there is a drop of 26% engine load and yet the rest of the stats remain almost the same. So from that I'd say the new girl must have a good amount of torque coming when the engine comes up to full engine load. Also, this is without boost too isn't it? So how are you finding her having had her at wo opposite ends of the spectrum, baling and ploughing then?

Lovely straight furrow too mate.

The Case has plenty of pulling torque Tris, its been playing with the 5 leg subsoiler that my old one struggled with at times.  There's no boost for draft work, that only comes in on transport and pto. I really do like it now I'm getting the hang of it, its so much quiter and more comfortable than the JD, a much nicer place to spend the day.

Genuine question Gav, why do you go the expensive way and plough for rape? Is that the best treatment for the field or haven't you got a suitable min-till/dd option at hand?

We find that ploughing gives us good germination results so don't want to mess with what works really Niels. We do have a min till option of sorts available but that would cost just as much as ploughing and drilling as it involves a TerraDisc pass, subsoiler pass and then the Vaderstad so uses just as much if not more fuel and more labour.

Its increased my productivity thats for certain, today for example I went to work at 10am and by the time I finished at 4pm I'd ploughed 8ha, not bad with a 5f plough set at 16" furrows and dragging a press, including headlands as well. Even my boss has commented on how much quicker I'm getting things done as the Case has the power and weight to handle the plough and subsoiler better and uses up to 4ltrs/ha less on the plough than the JD in doing so which adds up over the course of the year.

We find that ploughing gives us good germination results so don't want to mess with what works really Niels. We do have a min till option of sorts available but that would cost just as much as ploughing and drilling as it involves a TerraDisc pass, subsoiler pass and then the Vaderstad so uses just as much if not more fuel and more labour.

You haven't got any problems with excessive moisture loss then. I guess rolling straight after drilling helps? I would say on your sort of land it is very prone to drying out.

can see what you mean gav i thought a min till system was meant to be more cost effevtive then the ploughing route , but IIRC you have variable soils so i take it a min till wouldn't be viable for the whole farm anyway ?

still think the 69 looks better than the new deeres :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent the last 10 days getting the potato harvester ready, some of the major repairs were carried out single handed this year which was not easy given the weight of some of the parts involved. By the time our usual dealer had sent someone out to assist (our usual engineer has been nursing an injury hence the in house rebuild this year) I'd already done the heaviest tasks.

Here's a couple of pictures of what I found when I removed the hydraulic motor that drives the XS cleaner unit on the harvester, no wonder I had a vibration problem with it towards the end of last year ;D  Second and third pictures show the new gear with the old one as a comparison :of

DSCN1998.jpg

DSCN1999.jpg

DSCN2004.jpg

And the Case with the topper and the harvester ready for the off once the Case engineers have been and sorted the hydraulics out in the morning, I can't use the front linkage with the harvester hydraulics plugged in for some reason so the need to have a look at the flow control on the tractor. I was expecting some teething problems when I got into th efield today so it came as no surprise, there is however a bumper crop of potatoes this year, never seen so many going up the machine. Will get some more pictures once we get going :)

DSCN2009.jpg

DSCN2010.jpg

Its a water tank Ol, there's a spray bar above the roller table at the rear of the machine to dampen the rollers therefore making the soil stick to them and giving an extra cushioning layer for the potatoes to land on. May well be needing it at the moment as well with how dry it is and the fact that its too windy to try and put any water on the field before harvesting

there is however a bumper crop of potatoes this year, never seen so many going up the machine. Will get some more pictures once we get going :)

Not what I wanted to hear  :( . There's loads and loads of potatoes everywhere and prices are utter sh#t. At the moment we can't get anything lifted due to excessive rainfall so perhaps it might help prices a little. Plus quite a few rotten.

Looking good Gavin. What variety were you lifting?

Standen really need to sort out their in-cab controls! MASSIVE control pannel that seems to have come straight from a Boeing 747! If you compare it to the nimble and logic controls from say Grimme they are a world class apart. Using a Standen for the first time myself this year I find it utter rubbish! Otherwise thumbs up for the harvester though.

The variety is Saturna Niels

The box isn't that big really, it just looks it with the two screens and my workshop made light switch box wrapped around it. I find the box nice and clear and simple to operate. The computer screen is usefull as well as I can tweak cut out pressures and diagnose faults from the seat now with the electrical and hydraulic system........todays as been imminent failure of the cleaner table motors so we're down for the day tomorrow to replace the pair of them