IH 574 to the rescue!

the other green

My brother-in-law has bought an acreage outside of Winnipeg Manitoba. He has been having trouble keeping his driveway clear as winter has gone on however.

Our International 574 sits idle all winter so Mrs TOG and I took it and our 3pt hitch blade down for him to use. It's a 6 hour trip and when we got there, the first thing I had to do was clear the driveway so I could get the truck and trailer in off the road  ::)

post-60-132638575559_thumb.jpg

post-60-132638575562_thumb.jpg

We left the tractor with him as at that time there were a possible 6 more weeks when a large snow-fall was possible. Snow blows and drifts badly in that area and he cannot take the risk of being late for work.

He had advertised locally for a farmer to clear snow from his driveway on a regular basis but recieved no replies.

He will buy a tractor over the summer but this gives him time to shop around and wew weren't using ours.

A 6 hour trip is not a really big deal here.

She looks like she's in good condition too TOG...... :)

What year is she mate?  :) :) ;)

We're pretty sure she's a '74.

If you believe what a salesman tells you ( ;):D ) when it was bought new, it pulled a swather and did a little bit of spraying. When the owner retired, it spent its time on a scrub-mower keeping a yard-site looking nice in the summer, eventually it sat idle for a while until it was repainted and traded-in on a ride-on lawn mower when the owner "moved to town". We bought it from the dealer in, about 1988.

We used it for all haying operations, cutting, raking, baling and picking 10s of thousands of bales with a New Holland 1032 bale wagon. It spent quite a few autumns pulling an 8 tonne dung spreader too.

Recently her duties have been raking hay, mowing lawns/yard care and running a Norse bale wrapper.

What a lovely little Inty! What's the pick-up? A 250? Lo0ks a beast!  :o

That's my dad's truck, an '02 Ford F250 with a 7.3 V8 turbo diesel engine that puts out 275 HP, nice truck, leather interior, power everything but a bit thirsty.

Mrs TOG wouldn't go with me if I'd taken my truck, a '92 Dodge with a Cummins diesel. It rides like a tank!  8)

We left the tractor with him as at that time there were a possible 6 more weeks when a large snow-fall was possible. Snow blows and drifts badly in that area and he cannot take the risk of being late for work.

He had advertised locally for a farmer to clear snow from his driveway on a regular basis but recieved no replies.

He will buy a tractor over the summer but this gives him time to shop around and wew weren't using ours.

A 6 hour trip is not a really big deal here.

Adam

I guess its asking a bit much to take it over to the BA Working day in Scotland when you come accross in May!!!! We have had a light covering of snow over the past couple of days but nothing serious.

WOnderful Pics TOG... many thanks... what a lovely tracor, truck and trailer  :o - 6 hour trip.. my brother -in-law wouldn't even set a foot out of bed for me  :D

Silly question coming up...

Why have the blade on facing backwards mate  ??? - I thought you had the blade to one side but forward facing so it pushed the snow to one side  :-\ :-[

We only ever get a few flakes so dealing with snow is not something we are skilled at over here  :-[

Thanks for posting though... I really enjoyed that read and the pics... every aspect of that is so Alien to what we have over here... the truck, the trailer, the weather and even details like 6 hours not being a long drive over there  :o - Got room in your house for a clean living Massey Ferguson nut  ???

Adam

I guess its asking a bit much to take it over to the BA Working day in Scotland when you come accross in May!!!! We have had a light covering of snow over the past couple of days but nothing serious.

Aye, it's a bit far Bill  :D

Just found out Mrs TOG has booked our flights through Transat and the downside is that the luggage weight limit is pretty low so I couldn't even smuggle it on in m' suitcase.  ;) Might have to leave some clothes in the UK on the way home to be able to get all my toy purchases home.

WOnderful Pics TOG... many thanks... what a lovely tracor, truck and trailer  :o - 6 hour trip.. my brother -in-law wouldn't even set a foot out of bed for me  :D

Silly question coming up...

Why have the blade on facing backwards mate  ??? - I thought you had the blade to one side but forward facing so it pushed the snow to one side  :-\ :-[

We only ever get a few flakes so dealing with snow is not something we are skilled at over here  :-[

Thanks for posting though... I really enjoyed that read and the pics... every aspect of that is so Alien to what we have over here... the truck, the trailer, the weather and even details like 6 hours not being a long drive over there  :o - Got room in your house for a clean living Massey Ferguson nut  ???

Glad you liked the topic Marky. I just wanted to post some stuff that most of the lads wouldn't normally see out and about.

As for the blade set-up, If you look at the last picture, you'll see to the right of the old pick-up, a sheer edge of snow. This is and egde left by my b-i-l's snow-blower, a little 4hp walk-behind model. It arcs snow up in the air and it drops snow onto undisturbed snow and that blown snow ends up being very packed. The same happens when snow is drifted by the wind, it packs in like blown sand. I spent ages trying to get my first "pass" cleared, the tractor would just spin out. I finally hit on the remedy by accident. Run over the snow a bit with the front wheels to break up the "crust" and the I could push it.

Even so, it was like moving wet sand. The blade is 6' wide but if I took any more than a 1' cut the tractor would spin or slew round. When snow is packed, offsetting the blade is a no-go too because the tractor slews off to the side.

Pulling it works well if the snow is fresh and not too deep and you just want to move it off to the side but if you want to move it a distance, you will get too much accumulation and once again, the tractor will slew.

I was moving a depth of snow of 2'-2 1/2' and pushing it all 50'-60' from the driveway so the whole time I was working at 90 degrees to the direction of the driveway, only way I could do it  :) Took me 5 hours.

Sorry for the really rambling answer.

Marky, if I found out you'd been in Western Canada and hadn't stayed with us, I'd be having to have "words" with you  8)

I hope you're not too clean living  ;)

Brilliant TOG.. many thanks... It's all clear to me now... sorry to ask such a stupid question  :-[ - But the long explanation is very much appreciated... I imagined myself on that lovely little lady doing the job... but not for 5 hours in that temperature it has to be said  :o

Thanks for the kind offer as well... I may well take you up on that one day  ;) - all your worst nightmares coming at once  :o:D :D

I got some Massey snow blower literature in the post today.. When I get home I will post it up in here  ;)

We're pretty sure she's a '74.

If you believe what a salesman tells you ( ;):D ) when it was bought new, it pulled a swather and did a little bit of spraying. When the owner retired, it spent its time on a scrub-mower keeping a yard-site looking nice in the summer, eventually it sat idle for a while until it was repainted and traded-in on a ride-on lawn mower when the owner "moved to town". We bought it from the dealer in, about 1988.

We used it for all haying operations, cutting, raking, baling and picking 10s of thousands of bales with a New Holland 1032 bale wagon. It spent quite a few autumns pulling an 8 tonne dung spreader too.

Recently her duties have been raking hay, mowing lawns/yard care and running a Norse bale wrapper.

Thanks for the information TOG...... :)

Sounds like she's had a busy and varied life then mate...... :) :) ;)