Oil seed rape?

ihatepoundland

wait till they start the barley then bout a week or so later usually the way the crops are coming on at the moment it will only be another 6 weeks or so till the barley they look ill the little rain we had last week helped but they still look sad!!

farms was always arround this time to, although we never used a swather, just straght into the combine??

It's done both ways around here Sean......It's either sprayed before-hand and then goes straight into the combine but the reel is usally lifted higher up than its position for a cereal like barley......Or a lot of people hire in a contractor with a swather and then use a pick-up header for the combine to harvest......

The lad that has the nearest field to me sometimes attaches a swather header to the 9030 Bi-Directional though so here's hoping he will this year...... :) :) :);)

the norm round me is to do it with the combine once ts been sprayed off, problem last year was the stalk went hard quick but wouldnt shatter with a cultivator discs etc so everyone was using mini toppers to chop it down so it would bury

It is usually around the same time as Barley around here. We had to drop the sieves out of the TX32 one year in Barley to go and fit the OSR sieves and get that cut before it shelled out for the pigeons.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

shame on you Tris, its a good job i got some isnt it....the JF man has sold his 1065 or 1075....cant remember it was so last year and got himself a Case :D :D....i think unless he is loaning it :-\

where i am they sprayed some off about 3 weeks ago we had a terrific storm the other night hail the size of your thumb nail knocked it all out  :o :o :o forecast not good for next couple off days :-\ :-\

That's a big problem when you use " sunshine in a can " method of trying to ripen oil seed rape. If the weather breaks and you get wind or heavy rain you can have mega losses  :( Swathing doesn't have quite the same high risk though

That's a big problem when you use " sunshine in a can " method of trying to ripen oil seed rape. If the weather breaks and you get wind or heavy rain you can have mega losses  :( Swathing doesn't have quite the same high risk though

i think donald they sprayed off the ground which they have about ten miles from farm in the hope they could get an early start but mother nature has put a stop to that :'(