My field record/diary

Belarusfan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

I thought it might be a nice idea to resurrect this thread and update it with the rest of last year and this year.

Quite a few of the photos are already on here but now they are all together in order to complete the 'diary'.

Combining the first half of the barley, 11 August 07:

IMG_0403Custom.jpg

IMG_0405Custom.jpg

IMG_0407Custom.jpg

IMG_0409Custom.jpg

Belarus 250 on the 1t trailer, parked on a bit the rabbits cut for me:

IMG_0401Custom.jpg

Sacks:

IMG_0416Custom.jpg

and the sample (note the greenery, seems almost all combines dont like it and have trouble removing it):

IMG_0418Custom.jpg

Combining the second half, 11 September 07:

IMG_9178Custom.jpg

IMG_9181Custom.jpg

Exactly one month later, and look at the increase in size of the weeds and poor quality of the crop:

IMG_9184Custom.jpg

250 again:

IMG_9192Custom.jpg

Dressing the barley to remove awns, small pieces of straw, weed seeds, small pieces of weed, and other rubbish:

IMG_1163Custom.jpg

IMG_1181Custom.jpg

IMG_1184Custom.jpg

and a lovely sample:

IMG_1230Custom.jpg

Back to the field again. It was left until 15 December, during which time the weeds died down and the straw started to rot. I then topped it to chop up the straw and bring the stubble height down to the ground, so that this would all rot quicker and be easier to plough in. So, topping with the Belarus 250 and my Hayter topper:

IMG_7846Custom.jpg

IMG_7849Custom.jpg

IMG_7852Custom.jpg

IMG_7856Custom.jpg

A full cycle; back to ploughing again. This year the Belarus MTZ-82 was ready and in working order. As it is fairly light land I can get away with ploughing it in the spring, and this has the added benefit that no weeds grow after ploughing/before drilling.

On 8 March I ploughed most of it with my Rabe Werk Hawk-S 3 furrow:

IMG_4082Custom.jpg

IMG_4087Custom.jpg

IMG_4095Custom.jpg

IMG_4102Custom.jpg

The rest of it was ploughed on 4 April, after a friend had removed a heap of rubble and old trees with a digger. Sadly it had been very wet and the JCB had left ruts and caused some compaction, so one area was fairly wet and ploughed up rough, with the tractor ploughing through water filled ruts at times.

Finishing off a small strip:

IMG_5295Custom.jpg

The rough area:

IMG_5318Custom.jpg

General view:

IMG_5315Custom.jpg

Breaking the land down was different this year, as I had bought a power harrow. So the seedbed was a lot better compared to using the harrows last year. Could have done with some dual wheels but not really worth it for the area.

Belarus MTZ-82 and Maschio HB3000 3m power harrow, 12 April:

IMG_6095Custom.jpg

IMG_6098Custom.jpg

IMG_6099Custom.jpg

General view, the bottom piece had already had a very shallow pass to level off the flags:

IMG_6104Custom.jpg

This year's crop is Spring Triticale (a cross between Rye and Wheat, and supposedly rabbit proof), variety Trimour, and was drilled on 15 April. Sadly there had been a couple of small showers after power harrowing so it had needed a couple of days to dry.

Belarus 250 (with home made markers) and Ransomes Nordsten Lift-o-matic 3m cultivator drill:

IMG_6141Custom.jpg

IMG_6145Custom.jpg

IMG_6139Custom.jpg

IMG_6140Custom.jpg

IMG_6158Custom.jpg

the finished article:

IMG_6164Custom.jpg

IMG_6166Custom.jpg

Of course my drill has no following harrows, so a pass with the seed harrows was needed to make sure the seed was covered, and to confuse the rooks by messing up the marks left by the drill!

Belarus 250 and gang of light seed harrows:

IMG_6168Custom.jpg

IMG_6171Custom.jpg

and after:

IMG_6174Custom.jpg

Four days and a couple of showers later it had germinated:

IMG_6663Custom.jpg

IMG_6667Custom.jpg

Another week and it was poking it's head out, 11 days after drilling:

IMG_7975Custom.jpg

IMG_7978Custom.jpg

IMG_7979Custom.jpg

and finally today, looking ok apart from the un-drilled strips where coulters blocked, and in need of a spray to clean up some weeds and some nitrogen:

IMG_3481Custom.jpg

IMG_3484Custom.jpg

IMG_3492Custom.jpg

IMG_3496Custom.jpg

Wonderful Chris, what was the yield last year?

I would LOVE to have just a little bit of land like you have and do what you do, keep up the updates

robbo

Wonderful Chris, what was the yield last year?

I would LOVE to have just a little bit of land like you have and do what you do, keep up the updates

robbo

Last year was dissapointing for a number of reasons but mostly rabbits (hence the triticale), and the fact that I cut half way too late. Also a herbicide would have helped things. So it's hard to actually judge what I would have got if it'd cut it all properly, but I salvaged about 525kg.

I thought I regonised it :D I took a 14ton digger in there last year for Thurstons ;) ;)

Oh really, do you mean actually into the field? As that must have been pre-2006? Or just to the yard? I wondered how you knew as it would had to have been an amazing guess!

Were you transporting one of their Hymacs?

Thurstons used to be VERY interesting, but sadly most of the nice bits and pieces have gone, and that's just as far as I can remember so must have had some lovely things back in the day?

No it was one of our diggers I took to the yard I think they levelled some ground to put containers on Chris ??? Thurstons don't have much left now ::) ::) I move there drainer etc there was pictures on here in my topic 'pictures from work' but I think they've gone since the server change :( :(

No it was one of our diggers I took to the yard I think they levelled some ground to put containers on Chris ??? Thurstons don't have much left now ::) ::) I move there drainer etc there was pictures on here in my topic 'pictures from work' but I think they've gone since the server change :( :(

Ah yes that would make sense. Indeed it's a shame they've gone downhill so much. They did have their own lowloader and DAF 85 or 90?

Some pics I have of their drainer:

http://www.midsuffolkagriphotos.co.uk/gallery/gp1160.htm

Do you move the crawlers as well then? Or maybe theyre small enough to do with their own trailers?

Hi Chris, I've just been looking through your website and just wanted to say it's great and some of the pictures will be a help to me as I'm in the middle of building a trencher/drainer and stone/gravel trailer :)

What make/model are you going for? I expect you've found all the trenchers on there, but just in case you haven't:

http://www.midsuffolkagriphotos.co.uk/gallery/gp1028.htm

http://www.midsuffolkagriphotos.co.uk/gallery/gp1155.htm

http://www.midsuffolkagriphotos.co.uk/gallery/gp1160.htm

http://www.midsuffolkagriphotos.co.uk/gallery/gp1205.htm

http://www.midsuffolkagriphotos.co.uk/gallery/gp1206.htm

this is a class topic, love it, you've got me in the mood for growing things :D all i need is....

1acre field

ford 2000

2furrow plough

cultivator

2meter planter

some fertilizer

wee trailer

mini combine

baler

=jackpot ;D:D :D

great topic, keep er lit

Great read and good photos.  ;)

A bit herbicide will give a better yield this year too.  :)

Thanks, hopefully it should keep things a bit tidier. :)

That's brilliant Chris, really enjoyed reading that  ;D . It's 'The Good Life' on steroids!  :D

Keep us updated, looking forward to seeing the other operations throughout the year.

It's a real achievement to do what you're doing, and nice to see you using interesting, obscure or obsolete machinery too.

Great stuff  :)

That's brilliant Chris, really enjoyed reading that  ;D . It's 'The Good Life' on steroids!  :D

Keep us updated, looking forward to seeing the other operations throughout the year.

It's a real achievement to do what you're doing, and nice to see you using interesting, obscure or obsolete machinery too.

Great stuff  :)

Thanks Simon :) I guess it is a little like the good life :D

Interesting stuff there Chris - MCPA and CMPP with abit of Ally or Harmony M should do the trick ;)

That is the current question, what to go on with, did look at some Starane 2...  I guess it will depend on what's available.

Starane Gold will definitely kill everything - we used that last year on a field that has quite a lot of vetch in it - burnt it to a crisp but also slightly checked the spring barley too so needs to get very low rates - if I remember correctly we only put it on at 1/2 rate and still it checked the barley ;)

Starane Gold will definitely kill everything - we used that last year on a field that has quite a lot of vetch in it - burnt it to a crisp but also slightly checked the spring barley too so needs to get very low rates - if I remember correctly we only put it on at 1/2 rate and still it checked the barley ;)

At that sounds a little harsh then if it did that at 1/2 rate ::) Lables don't generally give references to winter or spring triticale and just say 'triticale' which should be ok, but as the spring type has only increased in popularity recently I wonder if they don't write winter as triticale was mostly all winter? ???:-\

At that sounds a little harsh then if it did that at 1/2 rate ::) Lables don't generally give references to winter or spring triticale and just say 'triticale' which should be ok, but as the spring type has only increased in popularity recently I wonder if they don't write winter as triticale was mostly all winter? ???:-\

Might be best to get some expert advice on it then Chris but I'd be pretty sure it won't make much of a difference - so have you a Eastern European sprayer for the 250 yet ???:)