Cullies Farm

smallclaas

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Sean the real shed has timber across the top of the I beams with steel plates on the I beams holding all up. The real shed was converted from an open fronted hay barn sometime in the early 70s the man who converted it went on to be Ireland wealthiest man Sean Quinn but unfortunately the recession wasn't good to him.

6 minutes ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Really like that shed on the right with the sliding doors, what did you do to create the pebble dash effect on it? and how do the sliding doors work? don't think I've seen that type of sliding mechanism before

James the pebble dash is done by painting varnish on to the timber surface and sprinkling it with fine sand, when the varnish dries the loose sand falls off but  a layer of sand remains behind then just paint. I have seen though in decorating shops cans of spray on pebble effect which, I'd say would be ideal and less messy.

The sliding doors are timber and the rail system is also made up from strips of timber they work well open and close without any sticking.

I used Evo-stik grey tile grout it starts to cure in about an hour and sets in 2 so ideal for shaping. I'll give the finished surface a quick run with some sand paper to smooth it down. Wasn't going to bother with the concrete but I think now it makes the buildings set in a little better

The silage slab in the middle of the yard set well, things are taking shape.

Had a bit left over so concreted the ramp behind the covered silage pit, the paint I applied yesterday dried out well and the warping has gone over night so happy with the new colour, think that green card is too bright and tidy looking for farm buildings, now to paint the rest!

The last pic is one taken before the concrete went down, think the concrete look works a treat, changes the yard alot, I'll get the paint brush out to dirty up the concrete a little with some oil stains and a bit of muck, take the clean look away.

yarda.jpg

yardb.jpg

yardc.jpg

yardd.jpg

20160205_220022.jpg

On 21/02/2016 at 1:58 PM, smallclaas said:

Thanks Sean the real shed has timber across the top of the I beams with steel plates on the I beams holding all up. The real shed was converted from an open fronted hay barn sometime in the early 70s the man who converted it went on to be Ireland wealthiest man Sean Quinn but unfortunately the recession wasn't good to him.

From what I hear ,Sean(and family) are recovering ;) .Was up that way last weekend to the brother and was trying to workout where the original Cullies farm is.Remember you mentioned some of the bypass took it and looking at Google map Cullies is located around the junction for Cavan Eq Centre-Was it near this?

3 hours ago, ford4ever said:

From what I hear ,Sean(and family) are recovering ;) .Was up that way last weekend to the brother and was trying to workout where the original Cullies farm is.Remember you mentioned some of the bypass took it and looking at Google map Cullies is located around the junction for Cavan Eq Centre-Was it near this?

Sean and family are recovering, and we all pay a levy on our car insurance. Great little country.

Archived