Corgi To Release Farm Toys.

powerrabbit

I have heard that Corgi are to release sometime in the near future some tractors. Wheather these will be a re-release of their old ones or completly new ones I am not sure but I was informed that they are the Massey Ferguson and Ford/Fordson tractors. Does anyone know anything about this?

Aparently Corgi had a large stand at a big model show and were advertising this.

Wouldn't surprise me as Corgi;s approach is to move into a market already built by another manufacturer.  The success of UH won't have gone un-notice at Corgi HQ.

Just depends on scale as to whether I'd be interested at all but prices will be interesting, Corgi have a reputation of pricing at the very top.

Corgi never really declared scale in the early days but their cars were roughly 1/48, the trucks and lorries 1/50, farm and garden 1/46. The 'Junior' were around 1/60. The later toys from the 1970's were slightly larger scale of 1/42. They also made models throughout in scales of 1/35, 1/45 and special issues for the likes of Marks & Spencers in 1/18. 'Cars Of The 50's series were 1/36.

This is only roughly so accuracy of these scales might not be exactly right.  ;)

Corgi never really declared scale in the early days but their cars were roughly 1/48, the trucks and lorries 1/50, farm and garden 1/46. The 'Junior' were around 1/60. The later toys from the 1970's were slightly larger scale of 1/42. They also made models throughout in scales of 1/35, 1/45 and special issues for the likes of Marks & Spencers in 1/18. 'Cars Of The 50's series were 1/36.

This is only roughly so accuracy of these scales might not be exactly right.  ;)

Quite a selection there Tim, you would think they would have standardised to a few less scales really, 1/42, 1/45, 1/46, 1/48 and 1/50 are not a million miles apart are they.......

Quite a selection there Tim, you would think they would have standardised to a few less scales really, 1/42, 1/45, 1/46, 1/48 and 1/50 are not a million miles apart are they.......

If there is logic in my thinking, it would seem to me that it was quite a clever marketing stratagey. As we know from their earliest advertizing, the toys were definitely aimed at the collector as well as for playability,. I would say, all scales for all hand sizes. I would recomend anyone to read about the Companies history and you will discover just how clever they were and still are, their early ads became their trademark and are still known, even if you don't mention the name, as "The ones with windows".

• 1 month later...

I am glad to hear that Corgi are moving into the farming market.... after all they have well and truly buggered up the model lorry market of late... I'll wait for mine to be dumped on their regular clearance list... they always make waaaaaaaay to many of each model... then panic a few months later and dump them  :-\

Corgi are a bit funny with their 'limited' stuff. What they do is have a certificated release of a certain number and any that are unsold they remove the certificates and sell them off at the regular price as 'de-certified' models. When you think back though, Corgi only produced a few farm tractors but in loads of variants and gift sets. Be interesting to see what will be coming.

I am glad to hear that Corgi are moving into the farming market.... after all they have well and truly buggered up the model lorry market of late... I'll wait for mine to be dumped on their regular clearance list... they always make waaaaaaaay to many of each model... then panic a few months later and dump them  :-\

Well from now on Corgi will not be 'dumping' models.  Production numbers have been reduced and will be reduced again from next year.  They have stated they will not sell clearance lines from now on.  From what I can gather they will make the number pre-order by dealers plus approx 100 models.  The idea is to ensure models retain their collectability and value.

I'll believe that when I see it... the same as they were NEVER going to sell clearance models again without de-cert ing them... And then low and behold... they appear 75% off TRADE price... with certificates  ::)

I am afraid Corgi have proved time and time again that they cannot be trusted .... unless you happen to be a mate of the Directors... then you get some cracking deals.  One of my very good friends is an ex gold-star dealer.. and he spent a considerable sum on clearance last year - only to be kicked in the teeth a few months later.  Needless to say he won't be spending any more money with them now  >:(

I'll believe that when I see it... the same as they were NEVER going to sell clearance models again without de-cert ing them... And then low and behold... they appear 75% off TRADE price... with certificates  ::)

I am afraid Corgi have proved time and time again that they cannot be trusted .... unless you happen to be a mate of the Directors... then you get some cracking deals.  One of my very good friends is an ex gold-star dealer.. and he spent a considerable sum on clearance last year - only to be kicked in the teeth a few months later.  Needless to say he won't be spending any more money with them now  >:(

You're right Marky - none of my suppliers have a good word to say about them :-\

It's a new company, new owners, new policies.  Desperate to keep the collectors buying.  Far too many people waiting and only buying when prices drop because they have produced too much stock and too many variations.  De-certs have ended.  The only person that will lose from now if the price is reduced is the retailer as Corgi will no longer give a rebate on returned certificates.  Believe me it's happening, big bit on the Corgi website about it see http://www.corgi.biz/news/270607.html

I wonder if we will see a corectly coloured David Brown 1412 or 1212

way back in 2000 they bought out that hidious green livery version  >:( >:(

or will they be updating the classics like britains seem to be doing  :-\ :'(

Strange but true, but that sickly green D.B. 1410 tractor and trailer is now quite desirable as not many were sold as no-one liked it. When released it retailed for around ?10, as time went on you could pick them up from toy shops for ?2 as they were glad to get rid. The actual trade price was ?6. The green colour was actually based on a batch of real D.B tractors that were supplied to the Irish Councils and marketed by David Brown as 'The Green Line'. Perhaps because of the low volume of sales of these green ones, Corgi did not follow through and produce yellow ones as supplied to the English Councils which were maketed by David Brown as 'The Yellow Line'.

Were any of you D.B. enthusiasts aware that there were real ones in green livery? Perhaps some of our Irish members like James could tell us if there are any still surviving over there.

Strange but true, but that sickly green D.B. 1410 tractor and trailer is now quite desirable as not many were sold as no-one liked it. When released it retailed for around ?10, as time went on you could pick them up from toy shops for ?2 as they were glad to get rid. The actual trade price was ?6. The green colour was actually based on a batch of real D.B tractors that were supplied to the Irish Councils and marketed by David Brown as 'The Green Line'. Perhaps because of the low volume of sales of these green ones, Corgi did not follow through and produce yellow ones as supplied to the English Councils which were maketed by David Brown as 'The Yellow Line'.

Were any of you D.B. enthusiasts aware that there were real ones in green livery? Perhaps some of our Irish members like James could tell us if there are any still surviving over there.

well you learn somthing every day

why diddnt corgi say something about the livery change on the box or something

I have heard Corgi never really made a fixed scale but sized the models to fit the box.  Presumably this is on the grounds that people will buy a model of 3.1/2 inches long but not pay the same price for something obviously smaller but in the same scale.  This has been a sore point with model car collector friends who want models that really represent the real thing and look right side by side.