Leakey Vale in its new home

Leakeyvale

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice , what do you use for trees then?? especially the big one in the corner of that last pic

On the right?  It was the trunk and some branches from a Britains Floral Garden oak.  I bought it from a scrap box and used modellers moss for foliage.  The other trees are Woodland Scenics range

On the right?  It was the trunk and some branches from a Britains Floral Garden oak.  I bought it from a scrap box and used modellers moss for foliage.  The other trees are Woodland Scenics range

magic idea, i have a trunck ,infact 2 that i could use up like that

Still tweaking.  View down from the museum and we now have 2 display fields.  The heavy horses and their handlers are leaving the main arena to the tractors but one has been stopped by the TV crew for an interview.  Shepherds and their dogs are taking the sheep (aka grass mowers) away although the ram is causing one of the dogs a bit of bother and a cart with passengers is trying to get through on the sightseeing tour.  In the background the main camera crew have finished at the forge and are filming the two-horse plough at work instead.

There have been a couple of changes since this picture was taken but that is how it is.

post-1227-13263864426_thumb.jpg

Wonderful stuff - especially like the way that the lead and plastic work together :)

In the first instance Stu got cross because I used plastic bits (walls etc) but he has now come round.  The Bayko buildings are from my 1950's set (which I never gave away thank goodness).  The only plastic animals (apart from the two kids on their ponies) are the cows up on the mill hill which are approx 1:64 scale half as big as the Bruder Mini series tractor nearer the top. Oh I think I have one horse which I intend to replace at some stage.

Essentially all that is "old" is lead while most of the "modern" is plastic including the visitors.

• 3 weeks later...

took this one down the length - it is over 11 feet long and 2 feet wide so is difficult to photograph.  More changes since this was taken though.

It is getting crowded so I have started to remove a few models and they are in a cabinet.  Ringing the changes is everything

post-1227-132638650272_thumb.jpg

.... It's like time stopped one day and everything stayed the same form there on in. Brilliant.  :)

Thanks Tris, that is exactly what I was (am) trying to acheive.  A time-capsule based on childhood memories of a non-mechanical small-holding that was on the edge of the New Forest on Burley Plain and old farms that I have visited.  That is why there is only one modern tractor and trailer in the layout and that is up the mill hill.

now thats looking great Susan. :P :P that grass looks real :)

It is really very good.  I bought two packs at Shepton last week.  You don't cut it but rear/tease it apart.  You can also spread it by gently teasing it out.  It goes a bit flat with a lot of handling but seems to stand up again as the glue dries - in other words it has memory.  Makes a bit of a mess with filaments everywhere but I brudhed them into my mixed scatter pot for later use as it all adds to the effect.