Older Ford models..... de-valued by the new releases??

JC

I was wondering what you all thought about the newly released Ford models from RC2 and what effect they have or may have on the value of the older ford models, not just the MIB or original versions but also conversions based on the 6600 for instance. Have we seen the end of the ?70 ford 7000 conversion or the ?100 MIB ford 6600 or will buyers still appreciate a quality model over an inferior one??

Good points  ;)

I have had quite a few conversations over the past couple of months over these points.

There has been a drop in value for both the Ford 6600 and old style 5000 (square mudguards) but to be fair that does happen this time of year especially on e-bay. Will be interesting if this picks up in the winter months around Xmas.

Conversion prices have already come down because of the cheaper donor Ford 5000 model and people don't seem to appreciate the old donors value as before  ;)

Good points  ;)

I have had quite a few conversations over the past couple of months over these points.

There has been a drop in value for both the Ford 6600 and old style 5000 (square mudguards) but to be fair that does happen this time of year especially on e-bay. Will be interesting if this picks up in the winter months around Xmas.

Conversion prices have already come down because of the cheaper donor Ford 5000 model and people don't seem to appreciate the old donors value as before  ;)

I'm in the same opinion as you Barry, the prices are currently poor but we do see an upturn come late Autumn and through spring which it will be interesting to see if this happens this year.

Personally I think the original will still reign over the new ones :)

For me the older model reigns high above the new, I'm glad to see I'm not on my own with my appreciation of the earlier models.

I think there will be a slight lowering of the values of un-boxed examples.  However the mint original boxed versions I would say, will maintain their value as they are rarer.  There is still the 'historic' factor with these.

It is interesting the article in CT this month where Craig Varley addresses the issue of re-release and values of the original tooling issues.

I think there will always be people who prefer the old models over the new ones.

The generations who played with old 5000 supermajors and 5000 force models along with the later 135 and 6600 will still find a place in their hearts for the old stuff.

Its a nostalgia thing and while there are older collectors around there will be a market for the older models.

I also think there are plenty of youngsters around who collect old and new models which is a good thing.

As you all know,my favourites are the Fordsons which are long before my time.

I can't explain why I like models which were made before me ,because I didn't even know they existed until about 2001,but I like the charm and the ideas that went into the first Britains tractors.

I would like to think that some people born in the 1980s will look at the old 5000 in the same way.

I will continue to build conversions based on the old and new 5000 bodies as they both seem to sell well.

Like many of you have said,the prices are very seasonal and deeply affected by ebay.

There are more buyers and sellers on ebay in the autumn and winter months simply because people have more time on their hands indoors.

I hope you are all still awake after reading this.................. :D

Hmm, its a tricky one isn't it?  I suppose it would depend on whether those who've paid a lot for the old Fords on ebay for example, wanted that particular model to fill a gap in a collection that contains everything from Britains or those who simply wanted an old Ford.  Speaking from a personal point of view, if I have ever bid on a classic Ford it was purely to get a classic Ford (not that I ever won ;D) but I wouldn't bust a gut going after one of the classics now the new ones have appeared.  But there will always be the completists.  It would likely be the same if Britains did a new MF 135 - it would satisfy a lot of MF fans who wanted one but couldn't afford the prices they go for nowadays, but at the same time the old models would still have the same desirability.

But if the values of the older models did drop as a result, then collectors of those would be happy, fans of old tractors would be happy with the re-released models (On the whole, non steering axles etc notwithstanding) - it would be anyone who has bought old tractors as an investment that would lose out most, in my (very humble) opinion.

Does that make sense ???

purchased a mint condition old Ford 5000 a few days ago for 20 Pounds, which will allow the new Ford 5000 to go to Ebay - I do not want these faulty new modells which are not even good for diorama show-casing or playing due to bad linkage. I would always prefer the old ones! Would be nice to see their prices drop - so we can purchase the good old modells for less money ;-)

To me the original Britains models will always be valuable because they are completely different to the latest ones (better or worse whatever) they have some detail and features that the new ones don't.

They are of traditional construction - minimal plastic. They have got something that you just cant get anymore - Made in England cast into them.

These reasons make them always desireable to me, if the new versions make it cheaper to obtain additional / other examples that is good for me. I would imagine that long term values will recover though.

I think there will be this tempory dip in the value of a

old ford

in  20 or 30 years time if you are holding a new 5000 up against a 70s

5000 or 6000 both MIB which one will be more desirable

It goes without saying realy doesent it

the britains 70s MIB or unboxed will climb back in value if they have lossed

any value at all

I think its just a wee saturation of the market in classic ford models at the moment RC2 have looked after their origional collectors from the 60s and 70s by making  the new "Classic" fords distinguishable to the earely variants  ;) ;) ;)

• 2 months later...

I thought it would be an idea to bring this one back seeing as we are in the 'winter' months now.

I personally, through selling scrappers of old fords, etc., have noticed a steep decrease, something that would make nearly ?20 now will bearly get to half that.  I may be wrong but even the scrap 135's seem to have dropped away a little.

I aggree with the previous comments on mint boxed ones, though do I detect that they are sliding a bit too.  It will be interesting over the next year or two to see the extent to which RC2/Britains carry on with the 'classic' lines.  Regarding Craig Varley's comments about values - my opinion would be that the new releases have had an impact - you certainly don't see the new Ford 5000 and 7*** releases hanging around on the shelves for too long.