Marky ploughing 22.09.07

FB

Well i've called him, he was up around 7ish getting ready, few technical issues that he has got sorted now. Off to see him later in the afternoon after he has managed a few furrows! ;D ;D

I'll get some pics but he can do the explaining!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i didnt get to see him, he had to finish early due to a techincal matter! :D :D

He's got some pics though ;D

to amuse yourself before he posts them up, here 2 pics and a video :D :D

P1010184.jpg

and what he wears when driving! :D

P1010183.jpg

and heres a short movie ::)

th_P1010185.jpg

that hat is just great :D :D :D

Well... what a day.... Just got in... I'll upload the pics to PB in a few mins... and I'll give you all something to laugh about  :-[:D :D

Pig in poo poo is all I can say just now  ;D

Oi... what's wrong with my hat... I thought all Master Ploughmen wear those style hats... at least that's what the bloke in the shop told me... he said I was lucky to get the last one as well... it was a bit dusty thinking about it... and they were sniggering when I left the shop  :-[>:(

Well... what a day.... Just got in... I'll upload the pics to PB in a few mins... and I'll give you all something to laugh about  :-[:D :D

Pig in poo poo is all I can say just now  ;D

Oi... what's wrong with my hat... I thought all Master Ploughmen wear those style hats... at least that's what the bloke in the shop told me... he said I was lucky to get the last one as well... it was a bit dusty thinking about it... and they were sniggering when I left the shop  :-[>:(

What IS it sticking up all over that hat?  You look like the old photos of the ladies having their marcel waves set.  All that is lacking is the wires

Love the hat!! Shame that there was no working pictures.

Ben you have let us down!!

wasnt my fault!, i was out in the morning and when i went there in the afternoon he had broken the plough and went home!! :D :D :D

Ok... so.... here's the story...

I gets up at 6.30am ready to go... Fanny had been "readied" the night before... so it's out of the garage.... ROPS up and bolted upright.... flashing light on... bosh... I'm away...

Now the plough (kindly lent to me by Steve who works for me).. is at Over... which is about 6-7 miles from my house... Halfway there my head is throbbing... it's blooming freeeeeeezing... so I swings into work (also at Over) to pick up my titfer (tat) ... oh... and to let the girls in the warehouse laugh at what a t*t I look on my tractor  :-[

Anyway... I gets to Steves field drop off my link box (which I always carry)... back up to the plough.... SOD IT... my tractor is CAT II linkage... the plough (an early 3f ferguson plough thats not been used for years and year... and looks pretty well new) is a CAT I... open my toolbox... guess what... numpty boy here has left the CAT I ball ends at home  :'( :'( - Oh.. and the toplink is too wide... as CAT II is 10mm wider than CAT I...

So... it's a quick trip round to work... ditch fanny in the carpark... get in a van and back home... I locate my balls (no smutty remarks please).. get out the grinder and take 5mm off each side of my toplink end...

Back to work... ditch the van... back on Fanny... back to Steve's field... balls in... hitch up and I'm away... The field is in Dry Drayton... not far by the A14.. but about another 6 miles via the back roads...

On the way there... the plough is bobbing up and down on the linkarms in transport mode... then bang... tinkle tinkle... GOLLY GOSH I think to myself... what the hell was that... I pull over to take a look...

Disaster... the wheel on the last furrow has broken the bolt with all the bobbing up and down and now it's dangling down and touching the road.... I shorten my toplink as much as it will go... and it's still only an inch off the ground.... so I get some rag from my toolbox and tie it up  :-[

So... I eventually get to the farm about 9.30am after all the messing around... I meet the farmer who tells me the ground is ROCK hard... we have had no real rain here for weeks... and the land is VERY heavy...

So I get to setting out... I lengthen my toplink... right out... scratch out a headland both ends of the field... Now being the bright spark I am (thought I was  :-[ ) ... I see the lines in the stubble... great thinks I... no need for marking out any more... I'll just chugg up a line... must be level with the hedges if I follow the drill lines...

So... here I am after scratching my first furrow...

IMGP2451.jpg

I know says the farmers son... (actually it was his grandson I believe).... lets try up the other end of the field...

So we go the other end and try... Nope Still rock hard...  :'(

Then the farmer comes along... Oooo noooooo you wanna plogh it the other way he says... I dunno why I drilled it that way... we always plough up and down.. not across... try that...

So... a bit of tinkering with some settings... levelling up the plough in the ground (when it eventually went it)... toplink adjustment... added weight from one of Fannys front weights (tied on in a heath-robinson fashion)... and I'm away...

It't not good going... everytime I cross a tramline the plough just rides up out of the ground  :-[

IMGP2460.jpg

Then Mrs F turns up with my Ploughmans lunch... and takes the p*** out of my "banana furrow" as she calls it...

IMGP2469.jpg