Nigels Forager Pics

Lord Ferguson

Here you go ladies and gents... some more cracking pics from the "Nigel Ford archives" - they should be attached to a topic about the reco mengele forager... but I'm blowed if I can find it... if you can please post the link... or move it yourself (mods)..

Anyway... shut up Marky... and let Nigel do the talking...

img004.jpg

img017.jpg

more great pics. Glad to see you saw the light and went green  :) :) :)

aaahhh, but we didn't... the green tractors are the forager driver's, an old primary school mate who we teamed up with for silageing contracts though we did agree to have our trailer in green and yellow to keep him happy. This must have been around '92 with the trailed machine and '94 with the SP which was pretty rare then and a make-do step-up to the JAG 840.

Right the first time :) I admit the the plural was a bit confusing...for some strange reason I thought you had two

we had a 6600 this era from new Jan'76 then found this about Nov '82 down on the Beaulieu Estate, it was there old dog tractor on drilling and hedging duties but I tidied her up and after a year or so put the 7610 engine in her followed by the Schindler PLK axle a year later. We had 2 7740 SLEs new in Nov 95. A 2wd 7600 (also pre-Q cab) and the 6600 were traded in for these leaving a 2 wd 4600 (also pre-Q) and the 4wd 7600 to see us out 'til the '99 farm sale along with the Fiat-Allis and DOMINATOR 80 etc.

Optical illusion I know but the first pic of 7600 looks like it's a 6 cylinder. The wheelbase seems to be a lot longer than a factory fit 4wd.

Were the pre Q-cab tractors much cheaper than than Q-cabbed models second hand? Was the 4wd axle easy to fit?

yes and much lighter too so the power/weight ratio is much better especially with the 10 series (+ tweaking up!) in her.The wheelbase on the Schindler PLK is actually less than the 2wd because of the rearward sloping trumpet housings that reduced the turning circle by the 2 factors mentioned in another topic somewhere(?) :Allows the inner wheel to turn a greater angle without the U/js getting "knuckle-bound" and shortening of the wheelbase. I would always haul more grass a day than the other tractor(s) as I could turn easier at the clamp and get back to the forager before the other one was full (+ I didn't cut my side down so far on the trailer after we converted them from in-line front loading when we ran the 3765 JD trailed forager. ( before the SH40N More pics to come sometime!!)  Hence I was always topped right up 'cos the other b***er couldn't get back in time....but then he wouldn't drive as hard as me either 'cos he wasn't getting paid by the acre.  I really should write a book sometime... ;):)

Oh,and the 4wd was not easy to fit, requiring a double split of the gearbox to put the drive gear on the output shaft before bolting on the transfer box into the side plate that originally was the handbrake on the pre-Force 5000 but was just a dip-stick in a plate for the transmission oil on these tractors. Still it gave us the chance to shim up the gearbox while we were at it as she was about 6000 hrs old when we put it on.

Oh, ...  and they're from 1989, with a tweaked 4040S & the 3765 forager and the trailers as they were originally made as front loaders and in the field in front of the farm house and to the east of that one too. You will spot the poor bit of ground on the brow where there's only half a crop in one shot taken from the cab roof of my 7600.

Will we see the pictures of Mike Cushing's SF 80 soon then Nigel.  ;D  I bet there aren't many people on here who have ever seen one.

With the shape of it; it shouldn't be too difficult to scratch build one, and wouldn't that look great in a seventies diorama. I would love to find a leaflet on one, as there couldn't have been that many made. No doubt a header from a later model would overcome the hardest part of a scratch build. The rest of the machine was very angular and easy to reproduce; assuming you have the skills necessary ;):)