Whats on your workbench???

Well we've had a wet weekend and Monday here in Devon so to keep busy I've had a first attempt at pimping a Britain's Marston trailer.  Always liked this casting but to my mind has quite a few faults - Drawbar, wheels, chassis height, body locking lugs to name a few.  So here's an attempt to address some of the problems!  Not finished yet, needs paint, hydrilic lines and a possibly mudflaps and warning stickers.  These will have to wait as I've managed to slice my right index figure open on a brand new scapel blade this morning finishing the drawbar.  Blood everywhere and it hurts like hell  :-\

IMG_4672.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

IMG_4673.jpg

Two more comparing Britains standard offering with my modified version.  As you can see I've managed to drop the overall height quite a bit by cutting off the standard axle blocks and adding new Plastruct ones.

IMG_4678.jpg

IMG_4679.jpg

Nice work Peter. The drawbar is a pretty nasty effort on these trailers, yours, and your other changes have improved it considerably :)

Tim Wheels ?  Harder to find these days.

Thanks Mark.  The wheels are Siku, Brantnor Stabilator #2885.  I emailed Siku spares and asked to buy some, they sent a dozen FOC.  Then I managed to pick up somemore from Henri Walker.  They certainly are a great improvement over the Britains versions.

looking good peter, looks better lower to the wheels, and the tyres finish it off a treat,will you leave it red or swap it to traditional marston blue

Thanks Sean.  Inclined to save on the painting and leave it red and then do something extra to cover the chassis/changes.  Need to fit the detailing first but then might have a go at weathering the underside to give it that used look.

Looking good Peter  :P, you've got the trailer bug too. About time you use some of them wheels and tyres. ::)

Well it was a long time planning Mark!!  Deciding what to change and getting all the angles, lengths etc sorted took a while  ;D  The drawbar is the third version I built.  Proved to be pain getting it to look right behind a tractor.  It wasn't until I decided to cut off the moulded axle blocks from the Britains chassis and lower the height that it all came together.  Now the prototype is out of the way the other eight for the fleet should be a little easier!  ::)

Yes those Marstons are very nice indeed  :)

Thanks Pete.  I think its a good base for a simple update.  Dimensions wise its pretty spot on for a Marston 14 tonner.  Britains now do it in so many colours it fits in well with most preferences.

nice trailers there, the bale trailer and the tipper. sometimes simple things are the best :D

well done both of you ;)

Thanks, next is a Marston silage with the same mods.  We'll see what that looks like.

those trailers look so much better with the changes, done the drawbars on mine and like the wheels you've fitted. Have one in bits at he moment which i'm wanting to shorten ;)