Absolute beginner starting first scratch-build project ...

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice work!!!!, so what was it again you used for the elevator parts?? ???

Thanks to recommendation of Gavin I asked BRUDER toys to send me a few elevator section from their 1:16 scale potato harvester and BRUDER did for just a few Euro - these do not only look nice casted on TIM/Tyregod beet harvesters but also on this American modell.

Some further and now redundant alevator parts casted by Dave/TOWSE are on the way to me but too late for this harvester (because of my own well known impatience); so maybe for the next one, which will definately be a European modell; e. g. from KLEINE (though experiencing for the first time how many labour it is to build such a modell I am really planning to withdraw from scratch-builing instead of minor conversion or rather buying any nice new modells from Gavin and Dave ;-)) Will just sell all the material left after this creation in the form of smaller implements (small TIM fodder beet lifter - mainly a towed elevator on tyres) or via direct sale on Ebay (orders welcome) ... This modell already costs me I guess some 50 Euros only for material, glue and paint, so it is not really cheap compared to buying ready modells either.

Am also not completely satisfyed with the results compared to the high workload of now I think up to 50 hours and a lot of toxic colour and glue inhalated, although this special modell was a MUST for me in my collection ;-)

a parcel from TOWSE (thanks, Dave ;-)) arrived today, allowing me to fit the no less than 16 lifting wheels of this eight-row beet harvester. As the SIMBA wheels turned out to be larger than expected, a refit of the eight lifting wheels attachments was necessary, reducing the height of the harvester by a welcome half inch, thus becoming a slightly better representation of the original harvester.

post-1013-132638702547_thumb.jpg

i take that back it looks great you should make them to sell

in this case I need to learn more about casting and resin modelling as repeating the process of making and putting together the many hundred pieces in this modell can not be payed for. Maybe somebody of this forum's members and more experienced scratch-builders would like to become shareholder of this product and realize the mass-production?? Maybe there is a market for 1:32 scale USA style/row crop modells? ;-)

It certainly looks well made, a very nice looking model. Are you pleased with it yourself? I know you said you wern't sure about the hieght but now that it is finished how do you feel about it?

feeling medium-pleased (7 on a 10 point-scale with 10 meaning perfect). It is a nice modell so far but regarding all the time and work invested I would like the modell to be even more precise according to the original. On the other hand, some weeks ago I would never have believed beeing able to create something like that ...

By the way I found the mistake for the wrong hight: the whole modell is slightly generally too large as my measures were partly based on the Ertl Precision dual wheels Johne Deere and the row distance indicated by the distance of the wheels. However the row-crop dual wheels distance of this modell is not based on sugar beet (some 50 cm row distance) nor on row distance for maize or potato (some 75 cm), representaing real measures (the distance between the wheels is 2 cm in the modell multiplied with 32 makes 64 cm and thus something inbetween) which I realized too late. So although my modell represents an eight-row harvester its size is that of a 10 row harvester and this ratio made the tank also looking slightly too large ...

It is good that you know where you went wrong and how you did it, nothing more annoying than not knowing. I guess it is the same for all of us, when looking at our own work we can see what we would do differently, get better next time etc. I havn't built anything too comploicated yet, only really my MAN draw bar lorry. 7/10 isn't bad to score it from your own point of view. I think you have done a great job and with your row crop Deere you need stuff like this.