MJB1's MASSEY FERGUSON 168

MJB1

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smart work Marcus,

We've got a gasless mig, handy for outside jobs, but I usually find it takes a lot of adjustments to the amps & feed to get a decent looking weld.

Grille looks better now in black & silver. I must ask though, is there a panel missing to the rear of the grille on the offside ?

you have been busy too.........and I agree, your weldings pretty decent, its better than mine !!! ;D

decent might be stretching it but it's as good as it was going to get , before i got it right , my neighbour thought i had a plasma cutter  ;D ;D

starting to look good a fresh coat of grey and red and she'll be looking factory fresh!

will be a while before she gets fully covered mate  :(

Looking very good Marcus  :) :) :) :) :)

why thank you mark :)

Smart work Marcus,

We've got a gasless mig, handy for outside jobs, but I usually find it takes a lot of adjustments to the amps & feed to get a decent looking weld.

Grille looks better now in black & silver. I must ask though, is there a panel missing to the rear of the grille on the offside ?

thanks mark  :)

thats why my friend went for gasless as he does most of his work ou by his garage , & these smaller welders are very handy but you really dont want to run out of gass too much from those hobby canisters , that & if it's windy you don't have to worry about the wind taking the gass from your weld  >:(

yes ther is a panel missing , i do have it but if you look closely t the rad , one of the power steering pipes is kinked , stopping it from fitting properly :(

happy with the patches & lights re-fitted , it was time to try the metal filler from halfors to tidy the patches up , so off came the lights again !

the pics are only of the right hand side but the same has been done to the left as well

rear before

168metalfiller1Small.jpg

rear after

168metalfiller2.jpg

front before

168metalfiller3.jpg

front after

168metalfiller4.jpg

also filled in this recess where the front light & handle part of the mudguard is welded to the top part of the fender , but rust had set in quite badly so that was also ground out & filled

168metalfiller5.jpg

next part will be to get some paint on it , i do have an aresol of red hammerite paint , but it's too windy to spray , so will wait till it's back up at bills in the shed

Looking good MJB

Hope you remove that rust on the mudguards befor you paint it!

When i bought my 165 it where also painted whit hammerite. :'(

They say it work over rust whitout geting primer on or remove the rust!

BUT!!: where the rust where it where not comming of but where there where no rust it came of already by cleaning the tractor!

Hope you can do something whit this info mate because if you know what trouble it gave me i think it would be disapointing if you put all this work in to this tractor now and you must do it over again in say about a year or 2!

Regards Johny ;)

• 2 months later...

did some chain harrowing last weekend for a neighbour & thought the 168 looked so much better with the painted wheels & grill , it didn't improve the handing or give it an increase in power, but the sun was out , i had authentic air con & the views were lovely & i was in a world of my own  :)

16825411Small.jpg

168254111Small.jpg

168254112Small.jpg

i wont be chainharowing any of bills this year till the dung's on , as the fields are a bit horse sick & have been eaten down to tennis lawns :(

Nice to give them a bit of work isn't it Marcus ;) ;)

certainly is bill  ;D

She looks well Marcus.. I bet you were like a pig in muck driving her around the field  :P 

not quite the analogy i was thinking of mark , but tis true , i supose, as you prefer to phrase it,like a pig in the preverbial muck  ::);D ;D