my 4 month summer holiday of working stupid hours and being drunk the rest of the time is drawing to a close. going to really miss my mates from back home, most are more like family. back to scouseland on monday....  :-\

Sounds like you had fun mate anyway.... you'll soon be back in the swing of things in scouseland and having fun with all the laaaadies  :P :P :P

New reform wouldn't protect many people though, Bill. Gun crime associated with licence holders is on a small scale fortunately. The trouble is it is often personal matters and therefore a more shocking headline which is forever going to be media fodder. Gang land shootings, though far more common are rarely printed unless the wrong person was shot such as a child, again because it causes a frenzy of public opinion.

The case of the father and daughter is a sad one but I should think it was a state of mind at the time which caused it, regardless of the choice of weapon. No, reforming gun laws would not have helped. We'll have to have laws surrounding kitchen cutlery if that's the case.

Well Tris I always remember the Dunblane shooting of 18 people including children back in 1996. Tightening up on holders of shotguns and keeping of shot guns was certainly tightened up after that. As a youngster I remember a shot gun sitting in the corner of my grandparents kitchen with an old sock over the top. I as a kid even knew where the cartridges were kept in a separate drawer in a dresser.  I'm glad there has been some reform through the years.

It's a fact that there is little that can be done to legislate against someone like Thomas Hamilton who clearly had mental issues that were not visible to the authorities.  It's also a sad fact that nearly all of the crime committed today using guns is by criminals using unlicensed weapons that are readily available for hire in most main cities for small sums of money in the 'underworld'  You can't legislate against guns and owners that simply don't exist on the radar  :-\

The fact that you ALWAYS upset someone. No matter how hard you try and get on with all people there is always someone who is not happy.

Jesus life is hard sometimes..... Sometimes it would be easier living a simple life...

The fact that you ALWAYS upset someone. No matter how hard you try and get on with all people there is always someone who is not happy.

Jesus life is hard sometimes..... Sometimes it would be easier living a simple life...

Chin up Jezza... we are all different mate... there are some folk you just can't please.. no matter what.. I've resigned myself to that fact.. just file them in the folder marked 'hey ho'  :)

our local priest passed away at the age of 66 after a year long battle with cancer.wouldn't be the greatest fan of some priests but he was the real deal, humble,pleasant and a real good christain in what he said and acted .had the young and old on his side and in his 6yrs i never once heard a negative word on him

It's a fact that there is little that can be done to legislate against someone like Thomas Hamilton who clearly had mental issues that were not visible to the authorities.  It's also a sad fact that nearly all of the crime committed today using guns is by criminals using unlicensed weapons that are readily available for hire in most main cities for small sums of money in the 'underworld'  You can't legislate against guns and owners that simply don't exist on the radar  :-\

I used to cringe driving through Dunblane when going south after that incident. The town is now bypassed but the bad memory is still there.

Chin up Jezza... we are all different mate... there are some folk you just can't please.. no matter what.. I've resigned myself to that fact.. just file them in the folder marked 'hey ho'  :)

Always make me laugh. Well done Marky! :)

Well Tris I always remember the Dunblane shooting of 18 people including children back in 1996. Tightening up on holders of shotguns and keeping of shot guns was certainly tightened up after that. As a youngster I remember a shot gun sitting in the corner of my grandparents kitchen with an old sock over the top. I as a kid even knew where the cartridges were kept in a separate drawer in a dresser.  I'm glad there has been some reform through the years.

While this topic isn't for continuing the discussion of individual subjects, I can't help but respond to that post Bill as it sounds like it isn't very well thought out.

We all remember Dunblane, as we do with Hungerford. The laws which were changed following the shootings in the towns wern't done so for public safety or becuse of the sudden realisation of lapse laws, they were done so for public opinion. A public of which the majority never will, do or have understood anything about sports which don't involve a ball. That is reaction, not reform. Since Dunblane has there been a massive drop in handgun crime? No. Was licenced handgun crime a problem before 1996? Again, no. So the reform protected. . . . ? I can't say I am pleased at all, not because I am a licenceholder but because for all the 'reform'  it hasn't actually helped anyone!! People kill, regardless. Their means and reasons vary. If it isn't a gun it's a knife, a rope. Harsh as it may sound, you can't just "reform" laws in some shallow political honouring of dead victims and their surviving loved ones I'm afraid. Sadly it comes to late to help anyone every time.

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that my father inlaw lost his battle with cancer and is sadly no longer with us  :( :( :'( .

Such an injustice, a nicer man I've never met.

I've very saddened to hear that Brian... my sincerest condolences and very best wishes to you and your family.

The fact that my father inlaw lost his battle with cancer and is sadly no longer with us  :( :( :'( .

Such an injustice, a nicer man I've never met.

Brian,

Having heard about his illness I'm sorry to hear about your loss......my thoughts are with  you and your wife and son.

My parents  have a funeral tomorrow for the Reverend Andrew Jolly the Chaplain to the Oil Industry in Aberdeen.

Andrew was the son of my father's cousin Bet who now stays in Glasgow

I never met Andrew who was only 54 but I had to laugh that both he and his dad the Rev John Jolly aka I'M Jollly was a great friend of the Scot's comedian Ricky Fulton. It was always a good ice breaker for after dinner speeches and functions.

It really is a small small world as they say Brian. My folks were at the service for Andrew's funerall at Macduff  today and also later on in Aberdeen today. Sounds as if it was a long day for them but I will get the full story after work tomorrow.

sorry to hear your new Brian..............similar here too, we lost a nice fella, 2nd cousin of dads, 2 weeks ago.........to  cancer, here`s hoping medical advances hurry up and find better treatment that save more folks...

That is a shame Brian, I wish you all well over the coming weeks. :)

Nothing by comparison but I stubbed my broken pinky toe on the table leg this morning. . . . had to sit down a bit quick as it made me go all queezy :-[

That is a shame Brian, I wish you all well over the coming weeks. :)

Nothing by comparison but I stubbed my broken pinky toe on the table leg this morning. . . . had to sit down a bit quick as it made me go all queezy :-[

Did it bring tears :'(

• 2 weeks later...