sparrow legs john deere 3040

sparrow legs

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks marky, yes its a six pot, pushes out 100hp when it was put on a dyno

after this season it will be cleaned down and repainted again :o like to keep it smart looking, looks better to customers if ya running smart gear even if its old ;D

Has it been tweaked?  :o :o :o :o I seem to remember the 3040 was 90hp and the 3140 was 100hp or thereabouts.

When I was contracting in the early 80's we had a 2140 (82hp), 3040 (90hp) 3130 (97hp)  and 3140 (100hp), fantastic bomb proof tractors, better than anything else on the market at the time

needs paint, wheels on left chipped from flailing trimmings and rear end and steps have lost paint, also duels have rubbed the rear rims and i dont use duels anymore (for now)

re hp, yes its rated at 90hp, your right BUT it was down on power and smoking, had tappets set and after that she was rated on dyno at 100hp :o  i was well pleased, fuel pump untouched, still has its original tie on it :)

as for the 3140 it was 98hp i belive :-\ i looked at a 4wd one after id bought my 3040 ::)

just spotted a jd 3140 2wd with opu cab local for sale, rough but it has all the basics there, roll on harvest for extra funds ;D

Spraying it again - now that is dedication or have you got a free paint sprayer :D :D

Nice job Mike and roll on JQ 2 in the fleet ;D

no had bonnet done by a local car paint shop (he painted it the incorrect darker shade last time ::))

i will only be painting the chassie, wheels and cab etc, just keeps it looking smart

aint bought the 3140, only looking at it, very tempting if i had the funds thoe!

Any cab shots Mike... I'd like to see what that cab looks like inside please buddy.... Are they comfortable ??? Do they have good visibility ??? any 'flaws' in that type of cab mate ???

How many gear levers ???

I won't go on... but you know what I mean... can we have an 'access all areas... VIP guided tour' please sometime  ;)

Any cab shots Mike... I'd like to see what that cab looks like inside please buddy.... Are they comfortable ??? Do they have good visibility ??? any 'flaws' in that type of cab mate ???

How many gear levers ???

I won't go on... but you know what I mean... can we have an 'access all areas... VIP guided tour' please sometime ;)

Marky it Most likely has the same layout, gearbox as Simon's one,  the cab looks ugly and uncomfortable to the untrained eye but you get in and its relay nice, every thing is just where you want it, no real flaws other than they are tight for 2 people, the exhaust and air filter are in the perfect place that  u don't notice them at all, still surprises me to this day driving our ones

god pic's sparrowlegs

i used to drive a a 3350 on a L'plate with the

wide steps and it had a"Digital Tacco" not the most

relyable tractor we had sorry :'(

the 3050 we had before it was a totaly different

tractor a real good alrounder but the 3350 was in the

workshop every 6 months from new even the

rep who sold it (brand new i may add) said he never

knew a deere as bad as the one we had

a proper friday night tractor where his words

like i said the 3050 which was 2 yrs older was a

brilliant tractor its luck of the draw realy

what is the going rate for a 4wd 3050 with 40k box

then as i liked them allot  ;) ;) ;) ;)

From that era of tractor, I would say they were one of the best set out and one of , if not the most comfortable cabs to be in.

I sat in one today at the Cambridge Machinary Sale ground... SG2 cab... looks like Mikes... WHilst I can see what you mean about the size.. I agree... it was a nicely laid out cab...

Gear levers took some working out... 2 doglegs (from memory)... left side 43N21 - R1R2 - right was weird.... DCBA and P... so... can you exaplin them to me Mike please... ???

Lord Fergie

That was a U.S. built tractor, 30 or 40 series with power quad transmission. 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 and R1 to R2 clutchless shift (R = reverse) on the left hand lever. 2 to 3 use the clutch, syncromesh though. Right hand lever ABCD range shifts, all non syncro, constant mesh gearing. Reverse only in ranges ABC, hence 16 forward and 6 reverse gears. P is park, locks the transmission in place of a handbrake. US spec tractors had no handbake, those sold in Europe had a handbrake fitted but was often not used.

Smaller 40 and fifty series used a more straight forward arrangement in an H- pattern.

Brilliant... thanks... so was that a rare tractor to find in the UK then ???

no not that rare, ive driven one like it, it was a jd 4040

my gear box is  1 3  with L H

2 4          R

the 1 2 3 4 has a half splitter to go up if the knock the lever to the right, to come down tap left ;) the newer 50 series had a seperate lever to go up and down

• 2 weeks later...
hi marcus, had this flail for about 18 months, going well so far ;) i did have a bomford for 2 1/2 years before that, but was very troublesome >:(

i take it  you've got a longer reach with this trimmer mike ? & electric controls , surprises me about the bomford though, got a chap round here swears by them he has two fairly old ones , one fitted with trimming flails the other fitted with chain & blades for the verges both cable control operated on a JD1640opu & 2140s sg2

i take it  you've got a longer reach with this trimmer mike ? & electric controls , surprises me about the bomford though, got a chap round here swears by them he has two fairly old ones , one fitted with trimming flails the other fitted with chain & blades for the verges both cable control operated on a JD1640opu & 2140s sg2

yes this ones 6m (5.9) and the old bomford was 4.7m, it has low pressure hyds so has a joystick but still have feathering control unlike electric ;)  the old bomford was 24 years old so had seen its best, was well looked after as my dad drove it from new but age was on its side :'(

the new bomfords are very unreliable by what operators i have spoke to say, the farmer whos spearhead i got hates his new bomford and keeps saying he wished he'd kept the spearhead :o  strange as they are both along with McConnal made in the same factory ::)

yes this ones 6m (5.9) and the old bomford was 4.7m, it has low pressure hyds so has a joystick but still have feathering control unlike electric ;)  the old bomford was 24 years old so had seen its best, was well looked after as my dad drove it from new but age was on its side :'(

the new bomfords are very unreliable by what operators i have spoke to say, the farmer whos spearhead i got hates his new bomford and keeps saying he wished he'd kept the spearhead :o  strange as they are both along with McConnal made in the same factory ::)

my last trimmer i had was a bomford supatrim heavy old thing it was , would really pull the 1494 over when working on banks but got to admit apart from a couple of head bearings & new flails it went well.

my old boss had a new bomford a few years back , good trimmer all bar dodgy spool blocks  :(

joystick eh ? shows how out of touch i am  ::) 6M ? you got her weighted for full reach or does the jd cope with it ok?

last SG2 i used for trimming was a 2850 2wd & McConnel 95 , damn good tractor  for visibility & traction

copes fine marcus ;) i have 12 front weights to keep the nose down in transport and the wheels set at 78" centres and it handles it fine so far, everyone was unsure when i bought it to go on my jd but looks a great rig and works well, more stable than the mf 6270 and 6m reco ferri i used to drive for someone ;)