1 Talbot Cottages

Simon

Sounds nice Simon. Now don't take this the wrong way but is the door support actually on the wrong way. I was always lead to believe the diagonal support was to run from the hinged side i.e. running from left to right if you see what I'm getting at.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are likely to be right Bill.. ;):D... I didn't really give it much thought, I knocked it up downstairs & outside so never really thought about which side the hinges would be on until I got it into the frame  ::).... it only took me 45 minutes to put together so I could swap it around if the mood takes me..... could do with a matching brace on the top too really.....

My wife hates it Rick!! She's constantly fannying about cleaning, despite my suggestion that it's a pointless endeavour!

She has been pitching in lately with painting etc and it's starting to come together now.

The most stress has been from the tenant next door, I've just got back to the office having been back to see the police and deal with this darn fence he started building across our turning area... :o>:( >:(

Can't see half the pics on my phone which is unusual. Kitchen floor looks great though. My mate had stone flooring throughout his new build house. Whole of the downstairs with underfloor heating. The guys who did it did it as one lot, not room by room so there isn't one join/cut anywhere. Very, very professional job.

Will look at this over the weekend, I like what your doing :)

You are likely to be right Bill.. ;):D... I didn't really give it much thought, I knocked it up downstairs & outside so never really thought about which side the hinges would be on until I got it into the frame  ::).... it only took me 45 minutes to put together so I could swap it around if the mood takes me..... could do with a matching brace on the top too really.....

Simon ....I was just going by my shed doors which were renewed by my father who was a joiner to trade

Misc050608012.jpg

Going on your advice Bill I made and hung the new door between the snug and utility last night and put the brace on properly.... ;)

Go for it Sean, part of ours is first floor only, just to make a porch and put back the bit of room we lost in making the corridor to the extension..... Really glad I did it like that, nice to have a bit of a shelter but to keep the courtyard slightly larger....

Cheers Tris, when you coming to visit...?

post-1414-132638899685_thumb.jpg

post-1414-132638899697_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more of an update for those interested.

I took 4 days off work this week to do the kitchen, here's the result....

Day 1.... kitchen rip out with plumber & electrician .... [don't fancy either of those responsibilities...] and late night collection of kitchen units from the barn at the farm with the Disco.... it has it's faults but I couldn't have done this job without it....

post-1414-132638923451_thumb.jpg

post-1414-132638923484_thumb.jpg

I've got a fair bit left to do, ceramic tiling to hide the chases for electrics, the odd infill to the units, plinths, T&G to the back of the peninsula unit, repair the ceiling & walls and give it a lick of paint, but I'm getting there slowly.... promised the kitchen would be finished for Mrs H's Birthday on 17th November.... ::)

Looking good simon.

Is it a wet under floor heating system or the electric mats?

My boss has just built a house all but finished it but he has put in a underfloor heating system tied into a ground heat loop pump. Has put wooden floors over it all.

Only just found this topic Simon, sorry. Lovely house you have there, very nice and tradtional. Love the exsention, we could do with that here. Notice the old Landie sitting there as well, time to get down here Simon, really we must meet up one day for ftf off road event :D Anyway back on topic sorry. More room now, so more models you can buy  :D:) :) :) :)

Thanks Rob, it's electric mat, I don't trust wet systems 100% and more than that, I couldn't have fitted it myself or bought all the kiot for what the electric system cost. I like the idea of ground source heating but even with electric prices as they are, I would never see a return on the investment in my lifetime, and since we're broke that's fairly important!!!

This system's a piece of cake, I'll get some photos as I do this bit so you can see....

Cheers Adam, I'm working on it.....!!!!

Had the Landy fired up today actually, had to move it to have a fire, big old bang as the brakes freed off but she started on the button!

I've not done anything to the tractor room lately beyond misting it out.... no excuse really though, it's so close to being finished.. ::)

Yeah boss is trying to get the next phase of his eco house sorted .......... a wind turbine.

Problem is he lives near a old church so he is not sure he will get planning permission.

Mate had a wet system and it leaked had to have a slate floor and concrete screeding dug up to find leak. ::) ::)

Having money helps with these things, we need to sort the drive but looks like I am going back to the north sea for a bit more job security as I am due to finish here in June but have interview when I get home less money but longer term.

So drive is on hold for the forseeable.

It's a peculiar economy at the moment Rob, I don't know whether I've done the right thing here or not, we've sunk everything into the house on the basis that we bought it when the market was at it's peak [we had no choice unfortunately] so we better make it worth what we paid for it..... My concern is we have nothing tucked away for a rainy day, it's all in the house to try to get some decent equity in it to give us better options when we come to re-mortgage, but if overheads go up any more, fuel, electric, food etc, we'll be struggling to stretch our money far enough. At that point you hit the repossession danger line..... our savings are in the house which for the first time in a long time, I'm not convinced is the best place for them.... unless of course they were in gold bar under the bed... ;):D :D

I heard something on the radio the other day about home improvements and whether they are worth it, with the market so flat, spending money will just mean you lose a tiny bit less, but still lose badly, so don't do cosmetic or expensive stuff. Stick with maintenance and preventing it from falling apart and stop at that was the advice I think...... Er, not the direction I took then!! :D :D :D

I'll get is finished now on a few hundred quid, maybe a thousand at a push and then that will be it for our spending for a while!!!

You are right in the current economy you do not know if you are doing the right thing sinking all your money into the house. Luckily we didnt have to do anything to ours apart from a few minor things but we managed to knock 8000 off the valuation off our offer but then when we bought the market was start to fall. Long term putting your money in bricks and mortar is the way to go give it a couple of years and it will be on the rise again.

our remortgage is in 3 years time so hopefully the market has started to turn by then or will stay put.

So long as I can keep making the repayments we could stay here indefinitely now, we've got our family home, all the space we need, reasonable garden and the kids are settled and have access to good schools. Any future move would be either 'want' inspired.... 'I want no neighbours'... ' I want to be miles from anywhere'....' I want a load of barns'..... or....' Kids want a pony'.... perish the thought... ::) or forced, ie we can't pay the mortgage.... if the status quo is maintained we should be ok long term.... he says... optimistically... :-\ :D

We've got another 14 months or so til we re-mortgage our 2yr fixed.... I'm hoping for a short sharp recession and then a massive cut in interest rates over the next 12 months!!!  :-\ :D :D