1 Talbot Cottages

Simon

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers Jamie, but don't worry, we know about that  ;). It will all be tiled over so will disappear and be unlikley to ever be driled, and not without knowledge of the cable runs. I've had a very good firm of electricians do the install for me, they do all the commercial stuff for me at work, so there are no corners cut  :)

Thanks Marky.... it's bloody hard work mate, I envy everyone else who doesn't have to do it! Right now all I wish for is the ability to make noise whenever I feel like it..... sociable working hours are really holding me up.... could do with setting about some slate with the diamond disc at this precise moment in time......... suppose I may as well just go to bed....!  :-\ :D :D

Ops how could i missed this topic :-[

You have done great work at your home, as BC said the blood sweat and tears have paid off.

My wife wants a new kitchen next year but i think i show her those pictures and hope she will think about it for we start.

Texas

It is indeed very nice to see it getting finished Bill, still stacks to do even on the rooms that are 'finished'.....

It's been bloody hard work to get this far, Bas, kitchen has worked out well, just make sure your wife is ready for some mess!!

Yes please Jason, I was wondering what had happened on your job.....

I left it over the summer too, mostly just because work was so busy. I got in and did the odd bit here and there but summer was gone before it really started...!

I did manage to get the slate down in the ktchen the other night too....

Here's 'the process'... ;)

Roll out undertile heating mat....

post-1414-132638928005_thumb.jpg

post-1414-132638928023_thumb.jpg

Mat has sticky tape running through it, peel off the backing and it will hold it in position while you tile... corners are made by snipping through the mesh mat... Large format flexible tile adhesive goes straight over the heat mat with a serrated trowel...

post-1414-132638928271_thumb.jpg

post-1414-132638928285_thumb.jpg

And that's kind of it.... just sealing and grouting left in here now.... I did the floor after the kitchen for several reasons. The main one is I needed to get the kitchen refitted as I took it out so we could use it, I couldn't rip it out and then tile the floor leaving us without kitchen, secondly I didn't have enough time anyway to rip the kitchen out, then tile it, then wait for it to cure, then fit the kitchen as I only had 4 days off and finally [!!] I've not gone under the units because I'm on an economy drive, tiling goes just far enough to be concealed by the plinths....  ;) Would have cost around another 150 quid to go under all the units in terms of adhesive and slate so I've kept that for something else...  ;)

I would have preferred to do the whole floor and then fit the kitchen Bas but unfortunately that's a little work around I had to deal with.... my wife complained enough as it was!!!

Think it depends on what system you have, this one is the only one [i'm told] to have full BEAB approval and is fairly heavy duty compared to some other systems I've seen. I think it's a HeatMat system.... original name!! This one works good, and doesn't seem to use a lot of electricities either....

Interesting stuff Simon,

Does the heat mat work ok with the slate floor? Mum and Dad have a similar setup and the conduction can be fairly patchy in places.

I know quite a few people who i've supplied stone/slate to who have it and nobody I have spoken to has spoken very highly of it. I planned on using it in my living room with stone of some description but decided to plump for reclaimed pine instead.

I think if you don't know what you're doing slate can be a disaster Jase. It needs laying on a full bed of flexible adhesive to make sure they don't rock or crack and they need sealing or they'll stain. I used Sealer's Choice Gold to seal mine, 3 or 4 coats minimum should do it. Sealer's Choice doesn't change the colour of the slate or make it shiny which I was specifically aiming for.

I used this because we had some left over from a hotel we did, they've had no problems with it and it seems to be working out well here.

Reclaimed pine was my other option but I went with the slate for durability and the way it looks which I'm really pleased with, nice big tiles, 600 x 600 and 600 x 300 laid sort of random.

We really don't want to upset my wife Bas... ;)

I love it Simon, when can I move in? It's a place full of character and that kitchen floor looks very very nice. Looks like you are adding things to the list which wern't on the original plans though  ;):D Still once you get stuck into a project as good as this I bet it must be hard not to keep having new ideas about something else.

As for letting your spaniel loose with the disc cutter, no wonder you ended up with crazy paving!!  :D :D :D

I love it Simon, when can I move in? It's a place full of character and that kitchen floor looks very very nice. Looks like you are adding things to the list which wern't on the original plans though  ;):D Still once you get stuck into a project as good as this I bet it must be hard not to keep having new ideas about something else.

As for letting your spaniel loose with the disc cutter, no wonder you ended up with crazy paving!!  :D :D :D

My bloody spaniel has been let loose with my very expensive Barbour leather wellies today  :o>:( >:(, they are no more.... I will now be setting about the spaniel with the disc cutter.... ;)

Most of what's gone in is as originally planned, a lot of the build has been based on what we already had and what was left over from other projects on the basis of cost. There have been a few changes, making the doors for instance, after deciding the Idigbo ones weren't right nor worth going to the trouble of making them right, but generally it's sort of as expected..... :-\ ish.... ;):D

• 4 months later...

Ohhh Simon, you.........  you ........... you

When can we move in, Mum said she is happy to baby sit George and Dad will fix your Landie for you :D :D :D

Can I disappear into the night then? If so then WE HAVE A DEAL! ;D:D :D

Wow Simon,lovely workbench/room mate  :o :o ;)

Thanks Pete.... 'all the gear no idea' I am ;):D

Looks nice Simon, dont go giving me a numpty if you've said.. but do you have underfloor heating with that? we know someone who does, and he thinks the world of it, heats the room right through and nice on your feet  :)

No numpty mate... besides, I have no power :'(

No, there's no heating under the floor in the work room, it's just a laminate... Pete might know it actually, it's Swedish, Alloc... The UFH is in the proper slate floor all the way through the ground floor... and yes, it's bloody gorgeous under foot... the kids and dog prefer to sit on the floor than the sofa ???::)

Oh what's the word I am thinking of .. .  don't you just hate it when you're about to say something and then forget what it was. ..

Got it!! Tosspot!!!!! :D :D :D

Am I jealous? Is a ducks. . .. Does a bear. ... Is the Pope. . .  I am jealous!!!  :o