County 1172

SPN

Rubber band..... I thought that strop was a standard fitment on any good tractor in areas where manky fergusons could be found as there are good rewards to be had from recovering them when the johnny queers failed.... maybe not.  :-\ ;)

Heinz Watties NZ imported some of those 762H i think

there is still one near springston canterbury somewhere.....near lightlands area

they also brought in those 1155 that featured in the CT mag a couple months back

i think they were for asparagus production or something?........

if it was accident damage, crawl under the cab and see if the transfer boxes are there for the front drives

the high hp light tractor in 2wd was the trend back then too........ie ford8100 yadayadayada........so i believe ya when you say its a genuine county ha ha!.....i ain't going to argue

the headlights in the front grill are blanked out  ???

roadless sold a lot to the sugarcane industry too didn't they........lots of those ford conversions were exported.........isn't the britainswomble a guru on this??

JC good fittment to a MF is a can of green and yellow paint, so when it breaks down, no one notices!

;D

Aint never seen nuffin like that before. SEM South Essex Motors made a few one offs and conversions for Fords etc but County's would have done their own. County's made the 8100's for Ford, so maybe this was their own version of it. If there were many 1172's made and Ford got to hear about it, they may have been stopped from producing them because of the 8100. Fords were very dictatorial to the likes of County, Muir Hill and Roadless, and would most likely threaten to pull the plug if they didn't approve of what was being launched by them.

Trouble was that Fords were really pig headed when it came to giving dealers and customers what they wanted. Had they listened to dealers and customers, the Ford 7810 would have been on the market ten years earlier. They said there was no demand for this type of tractor. We lost loads of sales to JD 3130's. In our area everyone wanted a lightweight six cylinder tractor, instead we got a 125 Hp TW15 weighing three tons more than the 100 Hp John Deere. Put that to work on a bank and the twenty five Hp was lost pulling the extra three tons of tractor uphill.

How frustrating was that. Hence the two wheel drive County, if it was ever made like that initially.

I for one would like to know more about this handsome beastie. See what you can find out please.  :)

fantastic pic stan , a rareity wether its a genuine build or not  :) doesnt look half bad either  :) :)

just like the chap in CT who put 6cyl perkins into DB's i wonder if maybe some of these hybids were done as a bit more than one offs ?

are there any 6cyl engines rigged up to 7610's pre 7810 era ?

Have looked in two Stuart Gibbard books, these mention/show some pics of 1162 and 1162TW tractors but no mention of 1172 model.

Looking at the photograph at the beginning the front axle appears to be mounted back to front with the radius arms coming forward to a mounting plate bolted on to the front casting, like a lot of 6 cylinder conversions of the Fordson Major. The strop does not help, obscuring the view as it does  ::)

Is this badged up as a 1172 County?

Super6,

Have a look how the 2wd axle is fitted on a 67,7700, 8100, 6710 & 7710. They take the std Ford axle & turn it around

these axles were designed to be turned , to give the owner the option of long or short wheel bases

Super6,

Have a look how the 2wd axle is fitted on a 67,7700, 8100, 6710 & 7710. They take the std Ford axle & turn it around

Okay, I stand corrected (insert smiley with dunce hat on) Thank you, learning all the time ;)