Types of Glue and their uses

Deere-est

Question

Well having read through a few search pages on glue I thought a reference Topic was long needed.

For all those use wood, plastic, metal, alloys etc please tell the rest of us:

What fixer do you use ? and; For what materials?

Contents amount, price and supplier would be great too.

Thanks in advance.

For plastics (Plastruct/Evergreen, model kits) I use ZAP-A-GAP in the green bottle. Described as a gap filling fomula on the bottle it will bridge small gaps in less than perfect joins and goes off very quickly.

56.6g bottle from my local model shop is £3.99.

For wood I use Evo-Stik Wood adhesive. This takes ten minutes or so to hold but a good hour or so to hold fast.

500ml, B&Q, can't remember price.

For plastic i use Revel glue in the needle point bottle, does a realy good melt bond on plastruct products

For metal-metal, metal-plastic i use JB weld, 2 part epoxy resin steel, wonderfull stuf, i have both versions 15hr cure, and Quick, 4min cure, best thing is you can file, sand, work , drill this stuff after 1 hr, can take weight in 4 min

i use Arildite 90second for any thing that doesnt take alot of weight, Jb weld quick has replaced this realy

The only stuff i have used so far is mitre bond, it comes in many different brand names but they all basically work the same, you get it in most builders merchants. Its the two part stuff you use for kitchen cornice or pelmet, you spray one part with accelerator and the other part gets the glue, put them together, hey presto instant bond, only thing is you have to be carefull when applying the glue part of it, once its on,  thats it no second chances, any runs or overspill is a b**ch to get off!! cant really remember how much it is as i usually get it through my work but the pack should consist of a small aerosole can of accelerator and a smaller plastic bottle of glue, Hope this is of help to some of you

Plastruct - plastic weld

metal to metal - araldite steel or Double Bond

Resin to resin - 5min araldite

Plastics - roket hot, rapide or max(gap filling)

Glazing - roket Oderless

Gap Filling - Roket powder or araldite steel

I personally dont use superglue that much when you need a strong bond as they go brittle over a period of time.

The only stuff i have used so far is [glow=red,2,300]mitre bond[/glow], it comes in many different brand names but they all basically work the same, you get it in most builders merchants. Its the two part stuff you use for kitchen cornice or pelmet, you spray one part with accelerator and the other part gets the glue, put them together, hey presto instant bond, only thing is you have to be carefull when applying the glue part of it, once its on,  thats it no second chances, any runs or overspill is a b**ch to get off!! cant really remember how much it is as i usually get it through my work but the pack should consist of a small aerosole can of accelerator and a smaller plastic bottle of glue, Hope this is of help to some of you

Brilliant stuff    Basically it is only thick cyano acrillic with a spray accelerator

TIP    use any type of superglue with the spray    Gives a little time for repositioning using only the glue first then spray the area with the spray can 

Plastruct - plastic weld

metal to metal - araldite steel or Double Bond

Resin to resin - 5min araldite

Plastics - roket hot, rapide or max(gap filling)

Glazing - roket Oderless

Gap Filling - Roket powder or araldite steel

I personally dont use superglue that much when you need a strong bond as they go brittle over a period of time.

Rubberised superglue doesn't go brittle, we've been recommending it for years and our customers keep coming back. It also gives a few more seconds to align parts before it goes off.I build all our prototypes with it, keep it in the fridge and it will last for years. Great for so many jobs around the house too.

I use mostly the two part cyanoacryalate glue with activator spray but was looking to start using plastruct,

and wondered if solvent weld which I use for sticking plastic plumbing waste pipe together is the same as plastruct plastic weld ???,it looks the same (clear) and would be cheaper to use.

The problem with the two part stuff is that it goes brittle and bonds too quick.

This might be old news but started using new glue and thought would share it. its called pvc-u pipe pressure cement we use it at wk for fixing feed pipes and after 20 mins is hard enough to stand 3000psi from the power washer. it dries even faster on plastiduct - havent tried paintin it yet tho!! i got it out of my local plumer supplies and if nothin else it will def cheer you up!!!!!!

On recommendation of Jez, I bought some Roket yesterday which apparently will glue diecast etc... ???

There's 3 grades, I had yellow which is the one in the middle, again, because Jez told me to... Jez.... can I go to the toilet please...

On recommendation of Jez, I bought some Roket yesterday which apparently will glue diecast etc... ???

There's 3 grades, I had yellow which is the one in the middle, again, because Jez told me to... Jez.... can I go to the toilet please...

No simon, use the empty glue bottle mate  :D :D

were do you get the rocket glue from si

http://www.ema-models.co.uk/shop/catpages/page-LB.html

Jez, that's a bit naughty  ;).... have you forgotten where we were standing when you told me to buy it... ???::)

I got it from Squires at ToyTrac Si, I'm going to order some more stuff from him this week too.

I used the Roket for the first time last night on the TM. Tried plastic weld first and couldn't really get on with it so moved over to the Roket and it's marvellous stuff... got a bit on my fingers today though  ::) .... Mmmmm, crispy ;):D

are you there si

Hello  ???:D :D :D

Yes, dropping in mate  ;);D

I'm told it will stick dissimilar materials, I asked specifically for something which would bond diecast to/or plastic/styrene, and it should do everything else. I think it will cover just about every eventuality in a model. It's not a rubberised one though so does go brittle. It's fine if there's no movement, having said that, I tacked the mudguard extensions onto the TM and the held well enough while I filed them.....