CX880 'improvements'

I have made my first foray into improving the CX880 combine, by the addition of a set of removable grain tank doors to make it look like its working; I didn't think I'd done too bad a job of the shape of them, but they are by no means perfect!  I have painted them but only had matt black spray and before I could do it properly it started to rain!  but its just to give you an idea so far:

post-566-132638865849_thumb.jpg

post-566-132638865893_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mike - my plan is to change one of them into a CX820 with a 20 foot header - just can't decide how to go about it at the moment, whether to chop down the existing header, or try and scratch build something.  The former is probably the best idea given my 'skills' but the current header is not ideal really - the one off the CR is slightly better, if I could get a couple spare of those would be handy...

I think is a good start Joe :)

And i think to chop down the existing header would be more easyer than scratch build and it would fit mutch better ;)

Thanks - I think your right about that.  I also think the cab/interior from the CR would be better, have tried to remove the one from mine to see if it fits the CX but can't get it apart!  Shame Britains doesn't have a spares department, it would be a great help!

Thanks - I think your right about that.  I also think the cab/interior from the CR would be better, have tried to remove the one from mine to see if it fits the CX but can't get it apart!  Shame Britains doesn't have a spares department, it would be a great help!

Yes it is a shame,Siku have it so i wonder why Britains have not :-\

looking good mate, the cab must come of the cr, they wouldnt have been able to make it part of the body in one cast, prob some screw inside that needs removing, but to do that you have to take the body apart. any screw holes down one side like the older mf and jd combine they did

Lovely stuff Nige!

The CR cab does come off, and I think it may fit onto the CX, the problem being that I would have to cut off the base of the CX's can to find out, which I'm not sure about doing if it doesn't work out!  On the plus side, I have taken the tank covers off the CR now, which will be useful as templates for the CX's covers, and also I can work on closed doors for the CR!

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it means a lot.  I have just spent over an hour sawing out the 'auger' inside the tank of the CR980, the plastic was really thick but I did it in the end!  So heres a couple of photos after I butchered the inside of the grain tank, and another with the basis of the covers in the lowered position...need to find some reference photos of the top of a CR to see what they're actually like!

post-566-132638866609_thumb.jpg

post-566-132638866874_thumb.jpg