New Tractor (to us) - opinions wanted

nashmach

Right guys it is getting to the stage now where we need to upgrade our fleet and move up the horsepower stakes ;)

Basically what we are looking for is a tractor capable of:

Pulling a 3/4 furrow plough

Harrowing with 8/10ft home made non powered harrows

Lifting a 1t twin disc spreader (on the eventual shopping list :D :D)

Maybe topping with an 8ft topper (same as above)

Pulling a 10t trailer for ourselves and must have trailer brakes as this will be a new rule soon and we have nothing to comply with it at the moment :( (Looking at single axle Dooley trailers with drop sides ;))

Occasionally pulling my friend's tandem axle 16t grain trailer and 20ft bale trailer at silage bales

4wd with a loader would be useful but we can do without also

Same with 40km/hr gearbox

Budget is a bit tight about €10k so will be an 80's or early 90's machine and must be fairly simple so we can do the maintenance ourselves ;)

I have a few makes/models in my head but just wanted your valued opinion also ;)

Thanks,

Colm

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wasn't smish looking for the same criteria in a tractor a while back ? btu had a bit of trouble locating a decent 7810 or 390 at sensible money .well the tractors i'd opt for would be

massey 3085 /3095 ?

C-IH    956 / 1056 ?

JD        3050 / 6610 ?

Fiat winner 110 / 140 ?

ford/nh  7740 / 7840 ?

although i'm a MF man , i'd go for the C-IH 956 /1056, all mechanical & bullet proof  :)

He was Marcus but had more money to spend than I have :-[

Ford 7810 was one of the main ones as they have come down a lot in price over here now and given we are all blue and have been for nearly 70 years so definite contender ;)

MF 390 is a bit small I think for what I want

MF 3085/3095 - over budget but wouldn't touch one with a barge pole :D

IH 56XL - one of the serious contenders for my cash

JQ - now where are my tinted glasses :D :D - 3050 would be good though ;)

Fiat Winner is abit pricey although one I'd like - a nice 100 or 110 would be ideal

Ford 40 series - never really got on with them and lots of horror stories about them near me after 6000 hours ;)

Thanks for that Marcus - a few there that I might investigate ;)

Keep them coming lads ;)

My opinion.........for what it's worth. It would seem to me, without knowing the type of terrain you farm on and around, that you have two conflicting requirements. For your general farmwork you would be able to do what you want to do with (Quoting Ford) something like a 6610, or better still a 7610 4wd ( :-*).

The fly in the ointment being the two big trailers. I personally wouldn't want to put more than 8 tonnes behind a 76, especially if you want to use it off road. The 20' bale trailer I don't have a problem with, but I wouldn't think of putting a 16t bulk trailer behind anything less than 150hp. You need the power to keep a reasonable speed on the road and weight for traction and braking stability.

If you must tow this enormous trailer, and need to do it regularly, you are going to end up with a tractor that is ridiculously over powered and too heavy for the ground conditions on your farm and the type of work it will do most. Most of the tractors in the price bracket you are looking at are unlikely to have tyres much bigger than 18 x 38's and that will cause ground compaction problems.

All you need is a 7610 4wd which will be great for general farmwork as well as a good loader tractor.

Go and buy yourself a nice Ford 8730 with powershift as your runaround and toy, keep it in the shed polished and immaculate for the times when you need the power and pose factor, for heavy haulage.

Fair points there Will and as much as I would like that it won't happen!!

Things are a bit different over here in Ireland big trailers are nearly the norm on 100hp although that is why I would prefer a 6cyl to be honest - my friend had 110-90's before his Valtra pulling that trailer so should be fine ;)

Marcus I'm surprised you left out the German air coolers ;) One of them is on the shortlist...

And to Ben fair point I should have specified it earlier - any of that crap will be deleted so keep on topic ;)

Fair points there Will and as much as I would like that it won't happen!!

Things are a bit different over here in Ireland big trailers are nearly the norm on 100hp although that is why I would prefer a 6cyl to be honest - my friend had 110-90's before his Valtra pulling that trailer so should be fine ;)

Marcus I'm surprised you left out the German air coolers ;) One of them is on the shortlist...

And to Ben fair point I should have specified it earlier - any of that crap will be deleted so keep on topic ;)

as said in many posts colm , i'm a bit out of touch with the more modern stuff , but if i were to go TOG then i would deffinately be looking at a DEUTZ 630, they hold a presence that not many get near, 125 hp for a heavy old bus , that is both quick & agile , & when yer working full bore you got to have that front window open , believe me you will smile , trouble is you very rarely see them for sale , most people who have them seem to keep them  :-\

if you can find one go for the 12 gear multispeed , if you're looking to put a loader on then maybe a gain the 12 gear multispeed 470 is more like it , amazing tractors & used to pull a 12tonne collins trailer quite comfortably , any more than that though & would be pushing it , & although it looks squat & basic , the diamond cab isn't a bad work place to spend the day  :)

anything newer than these tractors though  i know very little about , but from what a friend has told me it was basicly a cab change , everything under the tinwork was the same  :)

Thanks for that Marcus and yes your friend is quite right as I am looking out for a 4.70 for a friend or 6.05/6.06 2wd and they are like hen's teeth!! We are even contemplating a trip to Germany :D :D

What about the good old DX 110 - 1985 year - I think these were one of the last ??? Any experience with these ???

how could i forget !

the 6.05 commander was a real pocket rocket , again handles a 5Frev comfortably, i used to pull a 3 leg flat lift working at about 20in's with this one , as long as it was weighted down it would pull well , & unlike it's bigger 6cyl brothers was quite agile on the loader .

not used a 6.06 so cant comment , but i think the difference again between the 6.05 /06 was the cab .

again the trouble is going to be finding one , all the deutz i drove were for a contractor & all had high hours , but very rarely put a spanner near them.

the  630 (B reg) i used was bought 2nd hand & had over 20,000hrs & the poor 470 the main loader had a fair few more than that .

in all the fleet had 6806c, 7807c, 2x 450 2wd, 470+ loader , 605commander + loader,

3x 630, muir hill B3000 loader & class695 mega forager  & 2 deutz combines ,

unfortunately familly problems split the farm & contracting up , but i know they did operate the newer deutz after the 630's went

Pop down to the bridges to visit Ray and he'll tell you very fast what you need  ;)

You might remember this picture: He busted the pick up hitch on the (TS100 engined) 7600, so swapped the 40k 7740 SLE under the Toomey. 25 Tonnes gross and not a bother on her up the hill to Wallaces.

And she is his second choice for road work!

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9919.0;attach=22571;image

A late John Deere 3650, specced with the hi-lift and 40k 'box of course. Or the smaller 3350 which is a bit faster.

I would sat 390T as when it comes to loader tractors of that era, you will not beat it. A 16t grain trailer may be a bit much for her short wheel base though  :-\

good one erik  :) there's another worth looking at colm try the valmet 8100 contractor i knew was running a valmet , & like mant others in the area never really took them at the time as a serious threat to the massey ,fords & C-IH dealers ,that was till i got a job driving one  :o seriously impressed , mine had the delta box & the VME engine is bombproof as well , great weight distribution, short wheelbase (good for loader work) a comfortable cab & easy to work with  :) well worth looking at mate :)