Is the Massey Ferguson & Perkins partnership over ?

Udimore

Just walked into work to be pulled into a meeting  ???

The above question was thrown at me and I thought I know who the best people to ask are  ;)

I know the monster 8690 has the Sisu 8.4 litre engine ... maybe Sisu are going to replace Perkins  ???

Just walked into work to be pulled into a meeting  ???

The above question was thrown at me and I thought I know who the best people to ask are  ;)

I know the monster 8690 has the Sisu 8.4 litre engine ... maybe Sisu are going to replace Perkins  ???

but they've been using Sisu in the bigger ones for years haven't they, they're all part of AGCO aren't they. The old MF 38/40 combines had Valtra/Sisu engines more than a decade ago.

Yes they are... but because of the massive drive to cleaner engines I am wondering if Perkins can not get anywhere near the Sisu

Its not just the big tractors that are gonna have Sisu engines...so I am told this morning  ???

Dunno perhaps the MF weirdos on here can help me more  ???

Well from what I've heard... the 4 cylinder Sisu now fitted in the 64 series is not proving to be a good engine at all  :-\

I'll be hugely disappointed if they do drop Perkins engines in the smaller tractors... for me.... it's part of a Massey Ferguson - full stop...

Ohh.... Noooo I hope I don't fancy another brand if this happens... anyone got any tattoo remover  :-[:D :D

Well from what I've heard... the 4 cylinder Sisu now fitted in the 64 series is not proving to be a good engine at all  :-\

I'll be hugely disappointed if they do drop Perkins engines in the smaller tractors... for me.... it's part of a Massey Ferguson - full stop...

Ohh.... Noooo I hope I don't fancy another brand if this happens... anyone got any tattoo remover  :-[:D :D

Thanks Marky  ;)

Its kindof an odd thought really...Laurel & Hardy, Morecombe & Wise, MF & Perkins  ;)

What faults does the 4 cylinder engine have Marky ? lack of grunt ? are they going too mad on the cleaner engines rather than improving the performance  ???

I'm not really sure Bazza.... but I've heard it's been 'trouble'.... bottom end I believe... I was going thinking about my 'next move' to a 6470... which has currently got the Sisu 44CTA engine... I was 'warned off it' and advised to go to the next model up (the 6475) with the 6 cylinder 'tried and tested' perkins 1106D-E66TA ...

Not sure how much of it is caution on behalf of the farming fraternity mind you... Sisu is pretty much the unknown in 4 cylinder tractor engines... in the MF range anyway  :-\

There maybe the heritage effect - Perkins will be continued to be offered in Massey as the traditionalists see it as being part of the brand...

The same way that a Fendt will always have a German engine.

Remember Cat Corporate own a lot of AGCO stock and sit on the board of AGCO.   When Cat sold the licensing of Challenger to AGCO it was largely a stock issue from AGCO that paid for it.

Cat thought / assumed they would have a tame market for Perkapillar engines  ..  till they took over Valtra Sisu.  

So, AGCO own SISU, but Cat own a large chunk of AGCO - I can see Perkins staying around for a while yet.  

Nobody argues with a 900lb gorilla.

Interesting comments lads...

Can any MF drivers on here confirm the fuel comsumption saving with a SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) ????

5% saving the design engineers tell me whilst meeting emmission regulations with basically clean air  ??? They recommend that this stuff named "Adblue" is a diesel exhaust fluid works wonders on the 8.4 Litre engine  ???

ad blue  hmm i'll tell you what a volvo trained mechanic told me .

the ad-blue system is all wired into the electrical nonsence , although ad -blue /amonia stuff does reduce emmissions by effectively dousing the exhaust gasses  that is litteraly all it does .

When the ad'blue tank runs out , the sensor tells the electric engine management control that all the liquid in the tank has gone , so the electric bits seriously de-rate the engine , giving awfull performance & fuel economy .

If however you fill the ad-blu tank back up with ad-blue or water or lucozade  even beer the sensor tells the electric bit liquid is back in the tank & so the engine is automaticly brought back up to HP rating ,

how right this is i dont know .

BUT i have talked to hauliers that fill their ad-blu tanks with water only & have had no performance loss what so ever ,

One of these hauliers runs a 56 plate SCANIA  V8 580 with just water in his tank , but soon as the water runs out , the engine performance suffers , to get through his ministry test he did use ad-blu to keep the emmissions down

well Marcus that's interesting mate... so... when I get my 8690 I'll be joining the sender unit wires up on my tank then... can't afford water at the price it is these days  :o

well it's working up till now , thats not to say the volvo chap is wrong & his engine will go bang tomorrow  :(

Peterborough plant ....where I seem to spend a lot of my time talking to design engineers  ;)

Some of the engineers are employed by both Perkins & Cat whilst others are one or the other ...

It gets very confusing for little ole me  :-[

I could see this happening in 3-5 years time to be honest...

6 cyl Perkins do not have a good name around my area - Bush Burners most call them so that should be obvious.

Know some diehard MF men who bought Sisu engine MF's this time around and are very happy ;)

I haven't heard about those engine problems yet Mark ??? Is that the same engine as in a Valtra A and N?

6 cyl Perkins do not have a good name around my area - Bush Burners most call them so that should be obvious.

Know some diehard MF men who bought Sisu engine MF's this time around and are very happy ;)

I haven't heard about those engine problems yet Mark ??? Is that the same engine as in a Valtra A and N?

u got one o them crystal balls from ebay again?  ;):D

Interesting Colm...

Bush burners is a term well known in the Engine trade  ;)  :D :D Some of Perkins engineers actually have t-shirts referring to Cummins building Bush Burners  ;)