The Adventures of Marky and Mavis... the MF240QD - new to me on 14th November 08

Lord Ferguson

The big question.... restore her or not ?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. The big question.... restore her or not ?

• Yep... give her the works
    • No... leave her alone

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm not going to cast a vote on this one since at the end of the day the choice to restore or not lies with what the owner or restorer want's out of his tractor. Anyway I'm going to add my ten pennith for what's its worth ;D ;D

Personally if I were to leave her unrestored then I would not even consider say shotblasting the wheels and painting them and doing a bit of tarting up here and there. To me that would only spoil here doing a half baked cake job on her.

Now if you were to restore her I would be looking for a full blow mechanical and paintwork job with no half measures ;D ;D

Not much help really Mark but the choice must be yours ;D ;D

Yep £7.5k  ::) ::)::) good to see the credit crunch hasn't affected the fruit and veg trade  :D :D :D

Not this one then Si... I paid £5500 for her... The credit crunch has hit the Ferguson family now I can tell you  :-[ :'(

could have got a proper tractor for that price! :D;D (only jokeing marky)

I'll ignore that as you are still in your room for the previous MF comment you made 'naughty Mike'  >:(;D

Well I'm not going to cast a vote on this one since at the end of the day the choice to restore or not lies with what the owner or restorer want's out of his tractor. Anyway I'm going to add my ten pennith for what's its worth ;D ;D

Personally if I were to leave her unrestored then I would not even consider say shotblasting the wheels and painting them and doing a bit of tarting up here and there. To me that would only spoil here doing a half baked cake job on her.

Now if you were to restore her I would be looking for a full blow mechanical and paintwork job with no half measures ;D ;D

Not much help really Mark but the choice must be yours ;D ;D

I'm with you on that Bill... I think she will look pretty silly with new wheels and nothing else  :-\

I must say.... I'm surprised by the poll results as well... I really am drawn a genuine 50/50 on this still really  :-\ ... It won't be an easy descision to make this one for sure  :-\

Mavis has gone up to my local dealers today for a check up... I wanted my good mate Graham to take a look at her for me... he reckons she's pretty sound (phew...)

I've ordered some more parts AGAIN...

Battery (cab has to come off to fit it)... £70

Radiator Cap (would you believe... in stock) £5.50  :o

Rear curtain - THE VERY LAST ONE LEFT EVER ! - £129

New boots also being fitted today as well  ;D

I've asked Graham to do a few minor jobs for me while she is in.... one includes removing the rear trumpet housing to re-seal the lower link pin - could be expensive I guess... must be a good half days work at least  :'(

After that.... she'll be leak free and ready to park up and forget about for a wee while  ;D

After that.... she'll be leak free and ready to park up and forget about for a wee while  ;

Yep, right - you'll be up there with a hot water bottle,a blanket, and a glass of warm milk, tucking it in every night  ;D ;D

she be back for wednesday then mate???? lucky with the rear screen to mate, last one ever geun mf part eh, another little bit in her history book

Well... it may be a quick trip up to Weatherheads Mr P I'm afraid mate  :-[ - then again... it's a possible  :-\ - it's only 5 miles away so no great shakes if we do need to pop up there... I am sure Mrs P will enjoy the ride  ;D:)

Screen will be 'end of the week' so I was told  :-\

Now you've started the restoration you'd better continue! The bonnet is not in as good a condition as I thought in the earlier posts. If you do just the wheel centres you could age the paint to make it look in keeping with the rest of the tractor. I'm still for leaving alone, I think  :-\ If you do leave alone you can always change your mind later, if you restore now you can never go back to original condition!

lovely little tractor Marky :P :P :P :P, but i think you have to paint the cap slightly off red rusty or paint the rest to match the cap. ::)

thanks Mark... I reckon it will be easier to dull the cap than paint the rest of it  :D

try a little tcut first b4 you go down the road of a full respray

and if its like your transit it will rust away :D :D :D :D

I'll be t'cutting like mad on Saturday Stevie... Transit is still awaiting spray shop  :-[:D :D

Now you've started the restoration you'd better continue! The bonnet is not in as good a condition as I thought in the earlier posts. If you do just the wheel centres you could age the paint to make it look in keeping with the rest of the tractor. I'm still for leaving alone, I think  :-\ If you do leave alone you can always change your mind later, if you restore now you can never go back to original condition!

I'll be takng some pics of the bonnet this week with my better camera.... you can decide then.... that pic actually makes it look worse than it is really.... it's kind of ok... ish...  :-[ - Sean is going to see her on Wednesday... he can give an FTF 'expert' opinion later in the week  :D :D