The Aughton Valley Collection

The Britains Ford TW tractors. For the money and the market they're aimed at. Brilliant, just brilliant. Well done Britains! :) How i'd have loved these when I was a youngster to go carpet farming with. :)

P1300944_zps829e588c.jpg

P1300945_zps949b7c78.jpg

P1300946_zpscd5ed3e2.jpg

P1300949_zpsd1378b47.jpg

ROS New Holland 8770A with duals.

P1300947_zpsa8e8207b.jpg

Lastly a Norev Claas Dominator 96. Such a fantastic model.

P1300948_zps0e5fa033.jpg

• Like 2

You're very welcome Niels. Martyn certainly knows how to put together a superb custom built model. I really regret not bringing home the Ford 8630 he had built and had on his stand at Zwolle last year. I ended up purchasing the 4wd 9700 to go with my 2wd 9700. Unless i've forgotten any, I have the following MFM models in my collection. Fantastic, each and every one of them:

Fiat - Versatile 44-28

County 1474 short nose

Ford 9700 4wd

Ford 9700 2wd

Ford 7610 Gen III 2wd

Massey Ferguson 3095 with front linkage

Massey Ferguson 590 2wd

Massey Ferguson 188 4wd

I've had many a thought provoking conversation with friends and fellow collectors with regards to my decision to sell off a large proportion of my original collection. Particularly regards some of the things you've highlighted Niels.

Whilst I might regret moving them on in the future I certainly don't at the moment. A couple of years ago i'd become bored and had definitely lost the "buzz" for collecting. This was largely down to staring at my collection and thinking to myself I have absolutely no connection and very little interest in a lot of the modern general releases from the likes of Siku and UH lining my cabinets. I started to question why I had gone out and spontaneously bought them in the first place. The simple reason was being in position where I had a little bit of extra disposable income to start building up a collection from scratch. That was the excitement at the time, simply being able to start a collection, irrespective of what models I bought.

Where as now my excitement and enjoyment of the hobby is driven by my desire to develop a collection largely made up of custom built classics that is personal and unique to myself. Whilst I will continue to pick and choose the general releases that fit into the various line ups and themes i've chosen to pursue. One thing's for certain the forum and all of the friends I have made as a result have also had a massive impact on my collection, which i'm incredibley greatful for. Would I have known about any of the custom builders who's wonderful work now resides in my cabinets had it not been for the forum existing? Or, would I have had the opportunity to attend as many shows as I have done in recent years and have had the chance to buy some of the models I now own?

It's also one of the main reasons why I have no regrets about moving on all the models I have recently. Because all I have to do is look back at the photographic record in these pages to remind myself of all the great memories I have of how I built up my collection in the first place, and that's enough for me. :)

Sorry for the great long ramble, absolutely love this hobby! :)

I certainly do not judge your decision David. it's up to everyone what he or she wants to do with the collection. A dear friend of mine (and a massive collector with about 15.000? pieces) likes to 'trade in' his models after a few years. Like you he likes to stick with his modified and hand build models and sells the general models. Buys them new, have them on the shelf for 10-15 years and passes them on. However, he does have a rule he never sells for less than he bought one. So he doesn't loose any money on them. Another problem he has is his older scratch build models which were bought for large sums of money and are now not detailed enough to face the current competition. He'll have to stick with those.

Nice new additions to the collection. I'm just missing out on the 845xl and the three Ford's. It seems they are not available in Holland yet :-(.

I certainly do not judge your decision David. it's up to everyone what he or she wants to do with the collection. A dear friend of mine (and a massive collector with about 15.000? pieces) likes to 'trade in' his models after a few years. Like you he likes to stick with his modified and hand build models and sells the general models. Buys them new, have them on the shelf for 10-15 years and passes them on. However, he does have a rule he never sells for less than he bought one. So he doesn't loose any money on them. Another problem he has is his older scratch build models which were bought for large sums of money and are now not detailed enough to face the current competition. He'll have to stick with those.

Nice new additions to the collection. I'm just missing out on the 845xl and the three Ford's. It seems they are not available in Holland yet :-(.

15,000 items! :of  Goodness me that sounds like an incredible collection Niels. :)

I've almost finished thinning out my collection now. I've probably no more than 10 models to move on now, and i've very clear ideas on the manufacturers and line ups i'd like to develop the most when time and money allows. Thanks ever so much, absolutely delighted with my most recent additions and certainly enjoyed sharing my thoughts on my collection. As you rightly say it's each to their own and that's again something that makes this hobby so enjoyable to pursue.

I'm definitely a fan of the International and Fiat models Replicagri have produced and can't wait for the remaining classic releases from them over the course of this year. Especailly the Axial Flow combine.

I'm very smitten with the Britains Ford TW tractors too....roll on the release of the 50 series John Deeres! :-*  

It is indeed an incredible collection yes. I should take some photographs for the forum. He also collects a lot of 1/64th scale models (especially articulated tractors) plus 1/32nd and some 1/16th. Collection is spread over 3 custom build cabinets which measure 4m wide, 1m deep and 2m tall. Then there's various smaller cabinets, all made to measure. 1cm thick reinforced glass.

I agree with you on the Fiat and IH models from Replicagri. They are one of the best newcomers on the block with some desirable classics.

• Like 1

A lot of us could end up as a candidate for one of those TV documentaries about compulsive hoarders if we just let our collections grow and grow, so its good to take an occasional pause to reflect on what we want our 'core collection' to be, and sell off some stuff which doesn't really fit any more.

In my case, it is the wooden buildings which take up most storage space. There are a lot more I know exist I'd like to have in my collection, and need to sell some others off as I already have some nice items I haven't found a suitable place to store (such as my Binbak riding school).

It is indeed an incredible collection yes. I should take some photographs for the forum. He also collects a lot of 1/64th scale models (especially articulated tractors) plus 1/32nd and some 1/16th. Collection is spread over 3 custom build cabinets which measure 4m wide, 1m deep and 2m tall. Then there's various smaller cabinets, all made to measure. 1cm thick reinforced glass.

I agree with you on the Fiat and IH models from Replicagri. They are one of the best newcomers on the block with some desirable classics.

It certainly sounds like a collection I'd love to see some photographs Niels. Looking forward to the remaining International models due out from Repliagri this year. The ACA Chartres Show model looks fantastic, and will be an absolute must for my collection. :)

A lot of us could end up as a candidate for one of those TV documentaries about compulsive hoarders if we just let our collections grow and grow, so its good to take an occasional pause to reflect on what we want our 'core collection' to be, and sell off some stuff which doesn't really fit any more.

In my case, it is the wooden buildings which take up most storage space. There are a lot more I know exist I'd like to have in my collection, and need to sell some others off as I already have some nice items I haven't found a suitable place to store (such as my Binbak riding school).

Definitely agree with you there David. I'm enjoying collecting so much more as a result, keeping a close eye out for very specific models to add to my collection, and the various core themes i've chosen to pursue. :)

Finally found the time to take some outside shots of my most recent purchases in decent lighting this morning. Starting with Universal Hobbies efforts at miniaturising the Case IH Maxxum 5140. A very nice model but I can't help but think they've ever so slightly "squashed" the cab's dimensions. I also decided to line up this model alongside my "sand pit" Ertl 5120.

P1310757_zps02e6879d.jpg

P1310758_zps4adeb882.jpg

P1310759_zps778f8196.jpg

P1310760_zps58b63ee6.jpg

P1310761_zps1d600f21.jpg

P1310762_zps09bc309d.jpg

My XL cabbed International collection grew by another model in the shape of Replicagri's limited edition 845XL fitted with black mudguards. It's also seen photographed alongside the standard release. Really looking forward to the rest of Replicagri's International releases this year.

P1310763_zps6a89d3ba.jpg

P1310764_zpse8a76f13.jpg

P1310765_zpsb00172bb.jpg

P1310766_zps8a6ee84d.jpg

Yet another Replicagri model to join my fleet of classics is this terracotta Fiat 880DT5. Another lovely model that looks a treat lined up together with my larger ROS 1580DT. I'm planning on purchasing the old Britains variations of the 880DT5 in due course, as I had them on my carpet farm as a kid.

P1310773_zps27bfd30e.jpg

P1310775_zpsf5ac863c.jpg

P1310776_zps8e6eb123.jpg

P1310778_zps29965efe.jpg

Fitting in very nicely with the themes and particular eras of machinery i've chosen to collect Norev's Claas Dominator 96. This is an absolutely superb model, and i'm very pleased to have added this combine to my collection. Having sold all but one of my modern combine models this is only the third harvester to appear in the Aughton Valley fleet.

P1310779_zpsc51900d1.jpg

P1310780_zps4ea6c90f.jpg

P1310781_zps4edb2179.jpg

P1310782_zps19462367.jpg

Moving onto one of the more modern blues residing in my collection in the shape of this ROS New Holland 8770A. This is another model tractor that comes with a pair of detachable rear dual wheels. I've decided to display the model in one of my cabinets with the duals fitted, and may look towards adding a conversion or two to sit alongside this later A series Genesis tractor. One thing's for certain i'm so pleased ROS removed that horrible coil attached to the flashing beacon as fitted to the two terracotta versions they have produced.

P1310785_zps0dee216f.jpg

P1310786_zps6ebaed28.jpg

P1310787_zpsb3a8874d.jpg

P1310788_zps71300144.jpg

P1310789_zps16a69c94.jpg

P1310790_zpsec525748.jpg

I'll post a comprehensive selection of photographs of the Britains Ford TW tractors later today.

Here's my first group of photographs from my recently purchased set of Britains Ford TW series tractors. Commencing with the 2wd TW-10. As i've mentioned before in the Britains thread I really love those period Kleber front tyres fitted to this model.

P1310802_zps96f48ecc.jpg

P1310803_zps9ddd2a13.jpg

P1310804_zpsd3990076.jpg

P1310806_zpse693b348.jpg

Finally here's the TW-30. It isn't quite as nice as the 10 and the 20, but, for what is effectively a child's toy it's still an impressive looking tractor for the money you're paying. I know i'd have been over the moon to receive any one of these three tractors back when I had my carpet farm over twenty years ago.

P1310791_zps758efb1f.jpg

P1310792_zps29836d54.jpg

P1310794_zps35d44e36.jpg

P1310796_zps99643397.jpg

A pair of group photographs.

P1310808_zpseeb7ffe3.jpg

P1310809_zpsfc7f184b.jpg

• Like 1

nice models David,can i ask why you are not so keen on the TW30?

Thanks Paul, very pleased with them all. I certainly don't dislike it, as a child's toy it is a wonderfully chunky representation of the real thing. However there's something about it's proportions that don't look quite right no matter what angle you look at it from. Squashed Ladybird springs to mind.

Here's the new Britains TW-10 2wd lined up alongside my old "sand pit" Ertl TW-15 2wd.

P1310814_zps1afd329c.jpg

P1310815_zpscd4754cf.jpg

P1310816_zpsfe7e249e.jpg

P1310817_zps92273ff4.jpg

Thanks for those pics David. I think I may end up purchasing one of those TW10s after all, however the rear wheels will need replacing with something more realistic.

Thanks for those pics David. I think I may end up purchasing one of those TW10s after all, however the rear wheels will need replacing with something more realistic.

You're very welcome Stan. I certainly agree with you a rear wheel swap would do wonders for the original toy Britains have produced. Not so much the tyres specifically, but definitely the centres, which don't look especailly appealing if you're after something a little more realistic. :)

Very nice David. The PDC version really stands out as a nice model when lined up next to the rest of the TW-20s. But the Britains version has the better decal of them all which is a big plus for that version. An old ERTL is an old ERTL. That being the 15 .  ;D  But I see another version missing David. How about the very first Britains TW-20!! :laugh:

Edited by justy 46

Very nice David. The PDC version really stands out as a nice model when lined up next to the rest of the TW-20s. But the Britains version has the better decal of them all which is a big plus for that version. An old ERTL is an old ERTL. That being the 15 .  ;D  But I see another version missing David. How about the very first Britains TW-20!! :laugh:

Thanks Justin. Paul has done a cracking job on both my TW-15 and TW-20 2wd conversions. The Britains TW-20 is certainly my favourite of those three, and at least they have produced both 4wd variants with the correct side drive front axle unlike Universal Hobbies's typically lazy efforts.

I absolutely love some of the simple old Ertl tractors, and quite fancy adding a few more of them in the future. Examples of the Case 2290 / 2294 would go down a treat. I'm also missing the Ertl version of the 2wd TW-20 aswell as Britains earlier version which are definitely a part of my "neverending shopping list." :)