"Walter Derwent's" earthmover and plant photographs

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats all for now, next time ill start my own topic

Keep posting away Nick, some lovely machines you've captured there, nice to see some kit from another part of the world too. Your Hitachi looks like a tidy digger, agree with Rich on the yellow "Rubber Duck" she looks very much like a Hymac, look forward to seeing lots more. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought I'd post a little update in here after being given these photographs by my Dad.

They were taken in the seventies in a valley high above Sandsend near Whitby that was being used as a landfill site. Dad's main task with the original Case tracked loader he used was stripping the land back so drainage work could be carried out to deal with the myriad of springs and watercourses that lay beneath the surface. Over time as the site was filled the manholes that exist in some of the photographs would also be built up too. The site has since been closed and landscaped over.

IMGdrott_0001.jpg

IMGdrott_0002.jpg

IMGdrott_0003.jpg

IMGdrott_0004.jpg

IMGdrott_0005.jpg

IMGdrott_0006.jpg 

Thought i'd bring this topic right up to date with my Dad's most recent earthmoving escapades captured by himself.

He's currently working on a farm not far from home on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors one of three run by Tim "Ginger Pig" Wilson preparing the foundations for some new pig sheds that are to be erected.

He started this job working sub-contracted out on the Komatsu Bulldozer he's been in charge of for most of the year to a local building contractor. Once the dozer work had been completed Dad decided to leave for various reasons, following talks with the local building firm carrying out the rest of the work on the farm he has now become their main machine operator.

Pictures of the Komatsu can be found on the farm's blog here:

http://www.thegingerpighogblog.blogspot.com/

Whilst here are photographs of the machine that has become his main mode of transport at work now, a Volvo EC140 tracked excavator:

DSCF0714.jpg

DSCF0715.jpg

And from the seat of the dumper the other machines on site:

DSCF0711.jpg

DSCF0710.jpg

DSCF0712.jpg

In between working on this site Dad also used this baby New Holland Kobelco zero tail swing machine to dig out the foundations for a septic tank installation in the very tight confines of a retired lady farmer's back yard:

DSCF0708.jpg

8)  great

Thank you Erik. :)

That yard does look a wee bit on the 'perfect fit for a zero tail swing digger' side yes!  :laugh:

Certainly was Tris.The machine was hired in especially for the job. Dad said had it been any larger it would have been very awkward to carry out the job. :)

• 9 months later...

Thought i'd revive this topic of mine with some more "golden oldie" photographs which Dad has passed onto me to scan recently. Returning to a similar theme which started this thread, my Dad's experiences of operating Case tracked loaders from the original 850 model through to a designation C machine.

IMGcasecat_0001.jpg

IMGcasecat_0002.jpg

IMGcasecat_0003.jpg

IMGcasecat_0004.jpg

IMGcasecat_0005.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another collection of archive photographs from a site my Dad worked on extensively in all manner of weather conditions in early 1992, the Landrover dealership which is located just at the side of the main road out of Pickering out towards Scarborough yards away from where we currently live. Given the snow at one stage Dad often used to pop up home and helped clear the local avenues and cul-de-sacs with his pride and joy at the time, an E registered JCB 3CX Sitemaster.

Here's photographs of that machine and several other items of plant including cranes and concrete pumps Dad found in action to photograph.

IMGdiggers_0001.jpg

IMGdiggers_0002.jpg

IMGdiggers_0003.jpg

IMGdiggers_0004.jpg

IMGdiggers_0005.jpg

a few pages ago you mentioned a land fill in scunthorpe ....it wouldent be roxby land fill by anychance

mate ,I was working on that land fill in summer of 2001 for the company now liquidated called

"greyhound" also some of those quarry pics look familiar mon did your dad or you work at

croft quarry in leicester greyhound went bang last year if i remember due to another big firm and

them going under aswell i think  :-\

a few pages ago you mentioned a land fill in scunthorpe ....it wouldent be roxby land fill by anychance

mate ,I was working on that land fill in summer of 2001 for the company now liquidated called

"greyhound" also some of those quarry pictures look familiar mon did your dad or you work at

croft quarry in leicester greyhound went bang last year if i remember due to another big firm and

them going under aswell i think  :-\

Hi Nigel, are Roxby and Winterton landfill sites one and the same? If they are then it's highly he's worked there on equipment for Clifford-Watts working alongside machines from Jones Plant of Ruthin. From the quarrying side of things Dad has worked on sites exclusively in North and East Yorkshire mainly operated by Clifford - Watts.

I remember the name Greyhound and some of the kit they used from when I used to read through the Equipment News supplements that came with Construction News Dad used to subscribe to. Seem to remember they were based in Shropshire and had some very smart machines to call upon. 

[glow=red,2,300]Hi Nigel, are Roxby and Winterton landfill sites one and the same? If they are then it's highly he's worked there on equipment for Clifford-Watts[/glow] working alongside machines from Jones Plant of Ruthin. From the quarrying side of things Dad has worked on sites exclusively in North and East Yorkshire mainly operated by Clifford - Watts.

I remember the name Greyhound and some of the kit they used from when I used to read through the Equipment News supplements that came with Construction News Dad used to subscribe to. Seem to remember they were based in Shropshire and had some very smart machines to call upon.

i remember there was a train trac running allon side the one end of this landfill

they were "united utilitys" the one end then we were down the far end subbed out to ASCOT engineers if i remember rightly

yes shropshire based they were just down the road from me

• 3 weeks later...

This morning I had to pop into work to hand the store back over my manageresse after her holidays and on the way back home I embarked upon a spot of twitching, as always I had my camera and boots with me and here's the result.

A pair of JCB JS160 excavators that are engaged on a local pipe line job, soaking up the Sunday morning sun.

DSC01246.jpg

DSC01249.jpg

DSC01250.jpg

DSC01251.jpg