"Walter Derwent's" Landscapes

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent photos...reminds me of home.

Thanks Kojak, appreciated. I love living around here, there's such a variety of landscapes and you don't have to venture too far to find them. :)

The photos taken by your Dad in the late '70s remind me of images I have seen of the "Black Blizzards," they were huge dust storms that took place in the States back in the '30s.  They were very sad and gruesome times for the farmers back then.  Anyway, it doesn't take away from the splendid pictures you have taken.

Thank you RLT, I remember studying The Dust Bowl when I was at college a few years back as part of an assignment and have seen some of the photographs from that era, easily some of the most dramatic and powerful images i've ever seen.

• 1 month later...

In the last week Pickering has been on flood alert after the River Derwent that divides the town in two began to over spill and started to affect small pockets of homes near the centre of town. Fortunately the forecast rain didn't sustain for long enough to make the situation much worse and now the level of the river has begun to drop again.

With the talk of town being worried residents concerned at what might happen, here's some photographs taken by Dad and myself of the times in recent-ish years that it actually did happen. I'm lucky enough to live on the outskirts of the town far out of the reach floods but many friends were affected in 2007 when Pickering suffered it's worst flooding for 40 years and the large Co-operative store I was working in at the time is situated directly in front of the River Derwent, there was quite a bit of clearing up to do.

First of all from 1999 photographs my Dad took returning home from work of flooding on farm land at Howe Bridge on the main Pickering to Malton road when the towns of Malton and Norton were seriously affected. Since then a major flood defence scheme has taken place which included significantly raising the level of the stretch of main road from where these photographs were taken.

f1.jpg

f3.jpg

f4.jpg

f6.jpg

f7.jpg

• 5 months later...

Lovely pictures , like it when it is all green again.

Texas

Thank you Bas, appreciated. If the weather remains like this I hope add a lot more to this thread of mine. It's been a while since put any thought into taking some photographs of the local landscape, it was different shades of green of crops that drew me to this spot which is situated around 4 miles from home. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

that resevoir was it called haweswater with a village submerged in it? ???

Hi Mark, it's ( rather appropriately ) Derwent reservoir in Derbyshire.  ;)

Some nice photos around the countryside again, David. I do like the cavernous terrain for the reservoir.

Oh and a stunning shot of the Harris Hawk too, I think that is what it is aloft that post?

Thank you Tris i'll pass on your kind comments to Dad, and spot on, it is indeed a Harris Hawk. :)

Here's a small collection of landscapes from an area much more familiar to yourself and other members on here. If i've got my bearings correct I believe I was looking back over towards Shaftesbury when I took these not far from our ( my best mate drove ) final destination of the Larmer Tree Gardens. Truth be told I wished i'd invested in either another camera or certainly another battery and bigger memory card for my recent trip south. I saw loads of machinery filled landscapes, and we even set the Sat Nav to keep us away from the motorways as much as possible. Travelled down some wonderful roads and witnessed some very nice machinery sights particularly south of Warminster. Discovered a very nice Genesis series New Holland working across a side slope and also an older style Quadtrac in an equally photogenic location.

DSC08961-1.jpg

DSC08962-1.jpg

DSC08963-1.jpg

DSC08966-1.jpg

• 6 months later...

Great pictures David, I love that part of the world around fylingdales  ;D  the ones with the highland catlle on are brilliant as well

Thanks Patrick. Not often I take photographs of livestock but pleased with how those have come out. I love living so close to the North Yorkshire Moors and surrounding countryside one of the reasons why i've decided to stay around here instead of following Mum and Dad's plans to move to Sheffield later in the year. :)

Thanks Patrick. Not often I take photographs of livestock but pleased with how those have come out. I love living so close to the North Yorkshire Moors and surrounding countryside one of the reasons why i've decided to stay around here instead of following Mum and Dad's plans to move to Sheffield later in the year. :)

I find livestock hard to photograph as well, probably due to the fact they move so much  :D  I can see why you have chosen to stay its a lovely area, I can't imagine moving away from the farm at home  ???  but its looking likely in 2 years time if I get the grades to go to vet college

I find livestock hard to photograph as well, probably due to the fact they move so much  :D  I can see why you have chosen to stay its a lovely area, I can't imagine moving away from the farm at home  ???  but its looking likely in 2 years time if I get the grades to go to vet college

Given that I have much more of an interest in machinery is probably the main reason for neglecting to take photographs of the local livestock but I really enjoyed trying to capture the highland cattle today. Mum and Dad made me aware of their plans at the start of the year and whilst deep down I think they were hoping i'd try and find a place in Sheffield too ( my younger brother lives and works their ) I decided I wanted to stay put and was fortunate enough to be offered a share of a place very recently which i've decided to take. :)

All the best on achieving your grades to go to college Patrick. :)