The Adventures of Marky and HATTIE the MF5480 - born 18th July 2009

as with everything,there is an art to it all,carting is relentless,back to the yard,over the weighbridge,sample,write on the container what field it was from,wait for the moisture,where i was last week,if it was over 15% in the pit,under 15,a mile trip to the big grain store,then off back to the combine,and do it all over again,at least know with the big tractors you have know you dont have to fill the trailer at the front,infact the trailers are so big its easier to fill the back first then work your way to the front of the trailer,i must admit i preffered trying to catch the combine with the mintill cultivator rather than carting,but it still is good fun,with the hours we do know its very important to have a very good tractor seat!!!!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's very true Paul... my seat has taken a pounding this week that's for sure...

As for filling... I still put 2/3 of the first load up the front to give me some weight on the drawbar... and hopefully weigh the front down a bit so I can see inside it a bit easier through the square window  :)

that's very true Paul... my seat has taken a pounding this week that's for sure...

As for filling... I still put 2/3 of the first load up the front to give me some weight on the drawbar... and hopefully weigh the front down a bit so I can see inside it a bit easier through the square window  :)

we dont have windows,which would help,but i still start at the back

Thanks for the reply, Mark. Informative as always  :)

Will you consider having the old tyres re-wheeled so you can swap them over for next years harvest?

With our carting being from a smaller combine with twelve tonne trailers I dump one load in the middle to even the load, then one at the back and then one at the front. That is usually enough to fill it, if not then I get a little bit of speed up and brake to level the load out, then I can put a nice neat ridge from back to front to top it off.  :)

Yes I am going to get some more rims I think Tris.... would make sense really I supose...

As for the breaking technique.... I've used that myself.. when I've done a bad first load (traversing a bend perhaps) and the loads is heaped over one side of the trailer  :-[  .... kind of gives you a better start for next time that way  :D :D :D

nice pictures mark like the tyres as well, they transform the look of the tractor without taking anything away from the overall effect tyres give .

following tris' train of thought with an extra set of rims , maybe another 5480 & loader in yellow would be an even quicker option rather than all that wheel change nonsense

run it past Mrs F see what she thinks  ;D:)

I ran it past her mate... and I'm now on my way down to your house for a few days if that's ok with you and Mads  :-[ :'( :D :D  just until the dust settles  :-[ :'(

Now I've got the tyre pressures pretty much sorted she's been transformed by these tyres on the road... I can see myself tipping her on her side if I'm not careful.. roundabouts and bends are now soooooooo much fun  ;D:-[

Looks good Marky, sure they'll be better for what you use her for. You may find it cheaper to look round a few of the MF dealers or someone like Brocks for a take off set of rims and tyres than buying a new set of rims by themselves, you could then sell your existing ag tyres on. We're currently looking for a set for our 6910, going to be easier to get a set of wheels than obtain the wide tyres we now want on her for pulling the Vaderstad

Thanks Gavalar... do you have a link for Brocks mate please ??? .. someone else mentioned them too in passing yesterday but didn't know much about them  :-\

they are just outside thaxted[essex]you name it they v got from nearly new to totally knackered ,but please don,t swear in front of them as they are very religious and have been known to ask people to leave the site for swearing

Also don't use a mobile phone on site or better still don't have it with you on site, not sure if they still have a sign up but they did have one saying "No Swearing, No Blaspheming, No Mobile Phones". They also used to remove radios from the tractors they sold due to their own religious beliefs.

They don't have a website and have only recently got an email address so its a phone call jobby :)

i think the brocks thing is getting a little added too, ive been to there yard twice, very nice helpfull people, looked at a 30504wd, rang home on my mobile about it, they never said a word, looked at a few tractors and they had radios in them ::)  i do know they and a couple of other large machinery dealers are members of a certain religin and all there profits are pooled together for there cause but they are really nice people, they certinaly dont appear to slaughter a goat as they say on a full moon ha ha!

they will be your best bet for some wheels/rims markey, they have hundreds stacked on outdoor racking

Mike... thanks for that.... I'll give them a try for my rims then.  And take my mobile phone with me... although I won't wear my T shirt that say "Masturbation isn't a crime" on it  :-[:D :D

CMB..

The driver had already done that bit... but it's one PTO shaft.. one lock (just a handle to lift and lock up which does both sides) and a multipoint plug that has a screw on it to release/refit it... it can literally be done in under a minute flat