51 members have voted

1. 1.

• £ 500 to £ 600
    • £ 601 to £ 700
    • £ 701 to £ 800
    • £ 801 to £ 900
    • £ 901 to £ 1,000

Well we do things differently up here in Scotland Sean ;D ;D

Seriously he came in with his hood on and was asking for an old tee shirt so i just gave him one of these cheap and cheerful disposals ones. I used them all the time when spraying my tractors in the past and had still some left over ;) ;)

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monday 19th April 2010

Well dad wasn't going to go out and get his white suit wet since we had a shower of snow. Instead he persisted in wandering around the kitchen and getting in mums way. To get him out of the way I decided that the pine display display unit I got for the back bedroom would be better swapped with the chest of drawers so that it was tucked in the corner and would get better light form the window if swapped. This was duly done and by that time the snow was off.

The third and final coat of emulsion being applied.....I see light at the end of the tunnel ;D ;D

19042010006.jpg

19042010007.jpg

Say a prayer or two for me too dad ;) ;)

19042010008.jpg

19042010009.jpg

The old rugs up and also the paper and now the new creosoted fence boards inside to dry off

19042010010.jpg

19042010011.jpg

Well that's the shed almost ready apart from :         

•  
  • 2 coats of butinox to go on inside of doors

• 3 coats of butinox on door stops

• Fitting double sockets (will save on weight for shifting 8) )

• Marley gutters, fittings and down pipe etc

• Aluminium strip for door to cover gap now the wood has seasoned and shrunk >:(

But before all that (except butinoxing we need to get the bund pad concreted inside the temporay shack that will have been up for nearly three years now ;) ;)

There are too many conflicting things needing doing at this time of year so if it's dry tomorrow I need to get the fence boards done and start the digging of the veggie patch.

I need to get some sand and also pea crate from the local quarry at park just a couple of miles across the river Dee. Also need to get some Portland cement from B&Q and also the guttering etc. These jobs can be done on bad weather days but not today since it's the local Aberdeen holiday (Our Easter Friday one effectively) and CHAP Quarries will be closed and well B&Q will be busy with people who have the day off.

blimey bill, why the coverall? ??? ??? ? only seen them worn in asbestos removal, its emulsion afterall so it washes out of cloths easy peasy mate ;D ;D ;D ;D

Leave the poor boy alone Sean - if he wants to look like a trainee bee keeper then that's his own affair!

Myself, everytime I look at this topic I just laugh out loud! Strange thoughts go through my mind - Bill applying for a job as The Snowman or even a gynaecologist ..... what on earth do his neighbours think...!!! ::)

Leave the poor boy alone Sean - if he wants to look like a trainee bee keeper then that's his own affair!

Myself, everytime I look at this topic I just laugh out loud! Strange thoughts go through my mind - Bill applying for a job as The Snowman or even a gynaecologist ..... what on earth do his neighbours think...!!! ::)

Probably that his hands would be far too cold!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hell of a shed, Bill. I'm starting to think I have aplied too many shortcuts to 1A given this topic is over double the amount of pages, a week younger, one storey less and probably about a third of the ground area of our house!!!!!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Talking of bee keeping Jo dad and his father kept bees and I remember as a kid dad having a few hives. Bee keeping never appealed to me and I don't particularly like honey ...far too sweet and hate the stuff with the comb. Given me a thought though Joe dad may well have some of his bee keeping stuff in his shed that is kept at a friend of mines farm. I haven't looked in that shed for years so heaven knows what treasures are lurking in there ;) ;)

Gynaecologist now that could be an interesting job :-\ :-[

Probably that his hands would be far too cold!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hell of a shed, Bill. I'm starting to think I have aplied too many shortcuts to 1A given this topic is over double the amount of pages, a week younger, one storey less and probably about a third of the ground area of our house!!!!!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well thanks Tris I'm rather pleased with how it has turned out despite it has gone on for quite some time. It actually good for dad too since it keeps him busy and interested but he did say the other week that this would probably be the last shed he would be making.

I'm sure this shed has been built to last and as long as it sees my time out I'll be more than happy.

I do have a plan for a small low triangular shaped shed in an odd corner of the garden between the Farmall A shed and the small 2 wheeled trailer next to where the new shed will finally reside.The plan for this shed is to keep my Ransomes TS42A single furrow trailing plough which is currently in the middle shed along with a couple of small cylinder lawn mowers a gig garden seat and some other junk. This would then free up this shed since I would quite like another Farmall tractor...well more a ride on mower ...a Farmall Cub Cadet.

Tuesday 20th April 2010

Well today has been like a day of all season's...all weathers dry, wind, rain, snow and sunshine...in between all that dad and me managed to get some work done on preparing the final resting place for the shed.

The inside of the temporay 3 year old tractor shack with the pink chuckies which need to be removed and recycles of course...too expensive to use pink chuckies as pea crate

20042010001.jpg

20042010002.jpg

20042010003.jpg

On to trailer to get cleaned and recycled again ... I mean I am an Aberdonian...waste not want not ;) ;)

20042010004.jpg

Question for you all ( I should really exclude robbo & Toolbox Tam) but not

I should be able to calculate the amount of pea crate, sand and cement from ....well you should be able to guess from one photo ...how will I do it ??? ???

All chuckies now lifted but that would only be 2 inches of concrete. Need to take out another inch of sand / earth without undermining slabs ...will slant inwards when digging out.

20042010005.jpg

20042010006.jpg

20042010007.jpg

20042010008.jpg

I never really throw away or tip much ( as you may have noticed ). These chuckies will be used elsewhere so time to get them washed and ready for future use ;) ;)

20042010009.jpg

20042010010.jpg

Now how can I weigh that heap so I can buy the correct amount of pea crate, sand and cement. I know that was what came out of the shed. I can measure the area it came from and I know I then need an inch deeper.

I will be using a mixture ( excluding finishing with steel float ) as follows

•  
  • 3 parts pea crate

• 2 parts sand

• 1 part cement

Now all I need to do if find the weight of that heap  ??? ???

Now the barrier fabric was still good so a wash and out to dry. Again will be used in future projects ;D ;D

20042010012.jpg

20042010011.jpg

Yesterday we were getting the base for the shed prepared. Need to scrape out another inch of sand and soil so we could get a 3 inch deep concrete base between the slabs.

21042010003.jpg

21042010007.jpg

21042010014.jpg

21042010015.jpg

21042010016.jpg

21042010017.jpg

Yesterday went down to the local Park Quarry just a mile on the other side of the valley for some sand and pea crate. I wanted 10 cwt of peas and approx 4 cwt of sand .

the chap on the weigh bridge seemed shocked I was hauling it in a flat trailer without sides but i did not spill a drop ;) ;)

Getting loaded up

23042010006.jpg

23042010007.jpg

23042010008.jpg

As I headed to the weight bridge an operator with a smile on his face said "you have a job roping that load driver"....how droll I thought ;D ;D

obviously the chap on the shovel weigh-er was working right or he got the sand weight wrong.

gross weight out was 3.4 ton Tare was 2.32 and nett was 1.08 with .58 of peas and .5 of building sand. never mind i suppose i could bag it and sell it on eBay as Royal Deeside sand ;) ;)

Safely home

23042010009.jpg

On Thursday evening I borrowed an electric cement mixer from a cousin's hubby at Portlethen. Now Graham is a highly skilled machinist but oh my god he is rough and ready when it comes to cleaning cement mixers. As I rolled it about bit of cement were falling of the wheels.

Time to get the hammer and needle gun out since I detest bad kept machinery.

23042010010.jpg

This is what came off

23042010011.jpg

After the clean up

23042010012.jpg

Trailer unloaded and my patio looks like a miniature scene from Chap quarry ;D ;D

23042010013.jpg

Trailer all loaded up with bags of sand and earth to dump at the tip at Banchory. Did tie them on just in case and yes I emptied the bags....I mean I have a collection to maintain ;) ;)

23042010014.jpg

Well no they don't really have anything smaller Sean but the operator was quite skilled in the way he loaded me. I suppose they could have put a loader on one of there NH 7840's....see my farming photos post.

Saturday 24th April 2010

Well today after the drizzly rain went off dad and we got going on the crating between the slabs for the shed.

Another attempt at a video ;) ;)

th_24042010017.jpg

Yesterday turned out to be a very nice day and we managed to get the concrete base completed ;) ;)

I was the mixer and barrow boy and dad did the screeding. timber floating and the final polish with the steel float.

24042010001.jpg

24042010002.jpg

24042010003.jpg

Exterior ply sheets from packing cases to save mess and make it easier when barrowing ;) ;)

24042010004.jpg

All set for the crate...using a mix of 3 peas, 2 sand and one cement.

24042010005.jpg

24042010006.jpg

Between mixes I tried cleaning the drum with water and stones then with a 1lb mash hit the revolving drum. the result a cleaner mixer and should weigh a lot less on the return journey to Porthlethen that the journey to Drumoak ;D ;D

24042010007.jpg

Some of the gear washed and laid out to dry in the sun. much easier washing as one goes along than a massive clean up at the end ;) ;)

24042010008.jpg

Final ones from yesterday

24042010013.jpg

Finally the steel float, Should be a nice shiny surface for the rollers to work on ;) ;)

24042010014.jpg

24042010015.jpg

The finish. All we cab hope for now is no pesky cats decide to have a nosey and walk over during the night :-\ :-\

24042010016.jpg

Sunday 25th April 2010

Today it was time to start taking down the temporary shack with will be dismantled in due course.

25042010001.jpg

25042010002.jpg

The door cover was ripped due to blowing in the wind so cut off and burnt along with some wood off cuts. Don't know if one is supposed to burn such stuff but its too late now :-[:-[

25042010003.jpg

Cover to be stored away in Farmall A Shed since they were still in not bad nick after 3 years. That top cover was a Costco one and you get two that size for less that £ 10. Good value and hard wearing.

25042010004.jpg

Spare sand bagged up and the excess pea crate will go inside the greenhouse floor around the cement path.

25042010005.jpg

Thanks Steve...oh it could be a while yet I mean I have to save up for a good bottle of malt to crack open when it's officially opened ;) ;)

Seriously it could be a while because

•  
  • Need to dismantle the old shack

• Need to wait until concrete cures before we roll he into place.

• Need to get the veggie patch dug

• Back to work Tuesday

• First rally show for Farmall Cub at Forres in Morayshire next Sunday so will need to get Cub ready on the Saturday

Hopefully this summer ;) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived