What is the total build cost of shed to date to the nearest £  

51 members have voted

1. 1.

• £ 500 to £ 600
    • £ 601 to £ 700
    • £ 701 to £ 800
    • £ 801 to £ 900
    • £ 901 to £ 1,000

it must be almost finished , or finished now bill ?

i have loved following its progress over the last few months  :D:)

so when does the tractor move in ?

Glad you enjoyed Rich....its just about there. from dad only door stops to refit or remake. For me fit the lighting and run in power cable and then get sparky to wire up. Tractor in and then measure up for shelves etc around the side ;D ;D

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night it was around 7pm when i got back from the Fraserburgh Rally and since the tractor was wet from the way home I decided just to leave her on the trailer and unload today since I had a Monday holiday. I did cover he shiny alloy and brassy bits with some air bag poly wrapping ;) ;)

07062010001.jpg

And at last she has set foot in her new home

07062010002.jpg

Those ramps are for the other two sheds so another pair are needed but smaller ones

07062010003.jpg

07062010004.jpg

I have decided now to cement in the piece in front of the door so the second ramp is sitting on concrete and not chuckies

07062010005.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Today I decided to get the cementing around the front of the new shed completed so i could use the new short ramps.

04072010001.jpg

04072010.jpg

04072010002.jpg

04072010003.jpg

All polished up

04072010004.jpg

All covered up because there was a passing rain shower and oh well will keep out those pesky cats that visit my garden >:( >:(

04072010005.jpg

Thanks Bas....no the cement should be well cured by then and should not break up. It's safer having the ramps on concrete than on chuckies where the ramp could move ::) ::)

Thanks Jo. Not much left to do now. Only need to run in power get sockets wired by my sparky. Put up strip lighting and then see about shelves around the two sides and rear. The winter project will be cleaning and setting up all the bits and bobs for the "shed museum" ;) ;)

Tut Tut Mr C.... I'm afraid I share the same reservations as Bas on the concrete front.. I don't see any expansion joints in that site  :of :of :of

I've taken the liberty to post a small spreadsheet on the issue below.  ;D:P:-*:-*

Tut Tut Mr C.... I'm afraid I share the same reservations as Bas on the concrete front.. I don't see any expansion joints in that site  :of :of :of

I've taken the liberty to post a small spreadsheet on the issue below.  ;D:P:-*:-*

Thank you for your concerns and I didn't realised you did spreadsheets too Mark. The only think is I think both you and Bas need to have your eyes tested. There are actually expansion joints...oil and and newspaer all around the edges ;) ;)

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating though.

I uncovered them this morning so hopefully allow the cement to cure

well i dont think expansion will be bills problem and theres pleanty of movement around the concrete area

BUT it might crack up due to the thickness of it as theres was no vibration to get the air out and on mesh to hold it together  :of

ps nice tractor

Thanks Steve... I need to clean and spray the manifold black before the show at Glamis on Sunday.

On the concrete front time will tell and well I'm not really too bothered about a crack or and expansion I'm more interested in safety and I think it is safer to have a ramp sitting on concrete than on chuckies which could move around ;) ;)

Yesterday morning I removed my anti rain an cat cover to allow the concrete to cure.

05072010001.jpg

In a day or so I will be able to go around the seams with a "blunter" to tidy up the edges

05072010002.jpg

05072010003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well work for dad on the tractor shed is effectively done apart form the door stops refit but I suspect will be a remake. he isnt getting loose to do that with tractor is shed since well the tractor would not be safe ;) ;)

Anyway Saturday got him back on the side gargae door which has been out of commission since December when the outside ply had laminated and water had ingressed from the bottom of the door.

So off with the door and into the garage

17072010002.jpg

Measuring the ply

17072010003.jpg

Cutting the ply

17072010005.jpg

Planing the ply to fit

17072010006.jpg

Applying glue to the back of the ply

17072010007.jpg

Gluing the door despite the label saying apply glue to one surface ::) ::)

17072010008.jpg

Applying the deep drive panel pins with a normal sized hammer. i was doing it to with a smaller one for the job and making quicker headway and all i got was use a bigger hammer with more weight. Well there was no way I was going to chap my fingers with a normal sized hammer ;) ;)

17072010009.jpg

Weighted down overnight

17072010010.jpg

Hung and 1st coat of butinox on today

18072010001.jpg

tell you what bill, would be far less hassel to get a pvc door on there instead, give you more time to wash the car then  ;D ;D ;D  lot less maintence ;)

UPVC Sean well remember dad is 80and never workd or seen the stuff so out of the question ;) ;)

Oh and I have just finished jetwashing the car...no need to dry since water is running off the newly polished surfaces well ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D  think you missed my point there bill, you been on that whiskey stuff again, anyway its not your dads house is it?? so get the plastic in, keep the agro down less painting and stuff

No its all my estate Sean but I don't spend money when I don't have to. That door will last a long time yet and has only cost a tenner and time is is for nought to repair. I really have reservations about mahogany UPVC doors and windows and the effect sun will have on it in years to come. The reason for my thinking well I have Marley mahogany gutters and down pipes on my sheds and some of the down pipes are turning grey.

And there is of course the old saying Sean if you look after the pennies the £'s will look after you ;) ;) ...  hardened Aberdonian me ;D ;D

Will you be putting any lead flashing along the top of the door frame? Without it or a similar strip I can see that door taking in water through wind driven rain getting into the door via that gap and warping/swelling.

Well had not planned to Tris since haven't had problems with the ply laminating at the top only the bottom of the door. The top is actually coated in black pitch so that should stop any water doing any harm. Come to think of it I still have some lead on top of my big cupboard leftovers from the wishing well I recall ;) ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday dad was across and made the second small ramp for the shed so that so be easier and safer for getting the Cub in and out the shed. The longer ramps had a habit of rising up since they were not pinned at the top to the floor with coach bolts since well I did not want to bore holes in the shed floor.

07082010001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Today I took delivery of one box of two from Screwfix. Got the box with 50 white U shelf brackets but not the box of 1400mm uprights. I have just checked and these should be delivered by the postman tomorrow.

26082010001.jpg

26082010002.jpg

Archived