Anyone collect whisky or do you just drink them?

Yesterday at work someone was looking to send a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue label to the States as a wedding present but the cost of shipping was a bit steep. Whilst on the subject of whisky I said that I had two bottles of a fairly rare whisky which had been past on to me from my dad to save him drinking them ;) ;)

They are a 14 and 21 year old that was bottled by the Shore Porters Society in Aberdeen ( removal and storage company ). A friend of dads was a director in SPS and he was in charge of the property side of things. They had bonded warehouses and this whisky was left unclaimed. Dad's friend decided to design the labels and arranged to have it bottled. I don't know how limited in number the "Deacons Dram" is but I'm sure my dads friend said that some of it was making £ 100 a bottle at Southerby's many years ago.

I amd not a particular lover of whisky so I certainly won't be breaking into these bottles. They will sell at "my roup" I suspect ;) ;)

Any one else collect whisky or even minatures  ??? . I have a fair collection of minatures too but nothing all that rare as far as I am aware.

The 14 Year old

27102009004.jpg

27102009001.jpg

The 21 Year Old

27102009005.jpg

27102009003.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really need to ask my dad's friend how many were actually bottled. I know another friend who got one opened it and drank it when he ran out of whisky once. He was kinda hacked off when he found that a bottle had sold for £ 100 ish at Southerby's

Here one for sale cheap at £ 50 before the carriage... An Xmas treat for the wife so you can spend the same at Penrith Mike ;D ;D

http://www.shelleyleighs.com/Decanters/Page%2019.htm

Interesting story that Bill. I'm going to be a bit controversial and say that I love drinking whiskey, but not whisky. Each year for the past 4 I have trailed the web for highly rated bourbons and treated myself to a festive tipple.  :D  Decided there probably better ones out there than just Jack Daniels.

Blantons Special Reserve was last years, and very nice it was too!

i love whisky i dont drink much though a couple of bottles a year.

I have a bottle that i bought from the Glen Ord distillery when i visited years ago, a very interesting day out.

I cant drink cheap supermarket brands as they just give me a headache and i can only drink it neat.

Here here I drink it neat or with a little water ;) ;)

Some people add lemonade or ginger or other strange mixers but as far as I'm concerned you might as well serve them up a cheap £ 10 supermarket one on them... I mean why ruin a good malt ??? ???

I do like a dram very occasionally and I do seem to have a collection of single malts as I keep winning them on tombolas!  I am acquiring them faster than I can drink them. (Good for Christmas presents though).

I also have a bottle of 20-year old sherry cask matured which is unopened and unlikely to be "gifted" plus two miniatures of Johnny Walker that Stu used to use as part of a display with his Rob Walker car collection.

So, yes, I suppose I do collect whisky

i love whisky i dont drink much though a couple of bottles a year.

I have a bottle that i bought from the Glen Ord distillery when i visited years ago, a very interesting day out.

I cant drink cheap supermarket brands as they just give me a headache and i can only drink it neat.

It is years since I last visited a distillery and I think it must have been one at Kenmore in Perthshire.

My you have been up to the frozen North in Inverness

http://www.discovering-distilleries.com/glenord

I do like a dram very occasionally and I do seem to have a collection of single malts as I keep winning them on tombolas!  I am acquiring them faster than I can drink them. (Good for Christmas presents though).

I also have a bottle of 20-year old sherry cask matured which is unopened and unlikely to be "gifted" plus two miniatures of Johnny Walker that Stu used to use as part of a display with his Rob Walker car collection.

So, yes, I suppose I do collect whisky

Oh well I don't feel so bad now Sue that someone else collects too.

I got a quite a few minatures from my uncle who we moved to a sheltered cottage a month or so ago and they are still in a box in the dining room so I think I will take photos toniht of these and the other ones I have in a display cabinet.

Ahh.....Whiskey my second favourite thing in the whole wide world  :-*

Just after food and just before tractors  :-*

Any of the weirdos from here who has had the pleasure of my company the evening before I show will tell you a few tales  :-[

Macallan is my passion  :-*:-*

i have a collection of whiskeys ..called the premium collection ..in it is ....famous grouse..famous grouse gold reserve 12 years old..black bottle  ...highland park 12 years old single malt ,...macallan 10 years old..and bunnahabhain  single malt 12 years old  all 70cl in a  presentation box ..it was bought for me in 1999 so some are over 20 years old...and yes i love whiskey

Now Macallan is a nice one Barry. I have had quite a few minatures of that one in my time because at the Fraserburgh Rally if you were a first prize winner in addition to the throphy or shield you used to get an ICI bucket and pens nd a minature of Macallan etc. I have had a lot of wins there over the years so ended up with so many I ended up drinking them... I hope I have still kept one ;) ;)

i have a collection of whiskeys ..called the premium collection ..in it is ....famous grouse..famous grouse gold reserve 12 years old..black bottle  ...highland park 12 years old single malt ,...macallan 10 years old..and bunnahabhain  single malt 12 years old  all 70cl in a  presentation box ..it was bought for me in 1999 so some are over 20 years old...and yes i love whiskey

Well if you have or can get photos of your collection please add them on here. It will be interesting just to see how many different ones there are ;) ;)

These are the two in the cabinet at the moment

Old Pultenay well underway to being drunk

005-2.jpg

And Bowmore which will probably not last past Christmas

006-3.jpg

The last bottle she had was a Laphroaig and she would agree with you Bill that is one of the better ones ;) ;) ;) ;) I will just stick to Red wine  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Two nice looking ones there Mike.

Red wine oh my god I cannot abide the stuff ..... I can handle white wne in moderation but to me red wine is like drinking the devils blood.

Every one to their own and gosh the world would be a funny place if we were all thew same. I mean what if we all just liked Massey Fergies... I could not live in such a world ;)

cant stand the stuff , but my stepdads got a few bottles stashed away , not quite sure what they are, but he cant drink them now anyway after his op ect, have a feeling they are 21 year vintages at least mind as he was very fussy what he bought

personally i will stick to my wodka at least i can drink that neat

no collection here. I too sample the odd drop but the good stuff is wasted on me. We had a guy that owned the local hotel in town who had a massive collection for sale bgehind his bar , I forget but there were numerous members of his " twa  hunner club"  members who had sampled over 200 varieties  ( bit self explanatory that one)......I`m sure  but not certain,he had over  300 varieties......  some of the island malts are very interesting.

The old couple who bought the cottage on the farm back in late `83  came to retire  ( he was the vet ) round the Uists and the small islands that way, Barra, Benbecula ,the monarch isles etc......he once told us a story  about going to blood test cattle for brucellosis to one of the islands, anyway he got there and the pens were a shambles  not capable of holding cattle  so he lost the plot, told them to get them sorted as he`d be back the next time the tides allowed which was to be the following week..He duly returned to find them all drunk  the work less than half done and no cattle gathered in.....they`d found some of the bottles off the whisky galore boat , the politician  buried in the sands where they were to put in their new posts. She told us that this happened as some of the young folks went away to the war or national service or whatever  and never returned......the bottles apparently still turn up from time to time.they had an empty bottle which I have seen but after they died and we were clearing the house, I never saw it so who knoiws what happened to it.

I was gonna say  one new year  we went to visit a friend ......he never had any beer in his house ,only lemonade or whisky , he  used to say och you`ll  manage a wee dram.I`d take a wee dram  but discovered it was easier to get down if I took it neat. I stopped asking for water  in this and took it neat......he eventually started giving me glass fulls of neat whisky. I got used to it and don`t mind it at all now.This particular new year we had emptied one perhaps quarter full bottle and as I had a driver that night , my now wife, he said i`m goin to open another and we drank (mostly me) almost half of that too...I got up to come home and felt no ill effects , didnt feel drunk or anything................scary stuff as I felt capable  of driving. You wouldn`t have known I`d had a drink ............that time really  made me think about how easy it would be to have driven and perhaps killed somebody......I never drink and drive, wont even have one.Ive seen the results, have lost a few friends over the years too.

sorry I`m a bit off topic but  I suppose at least it`s all whisky related !