pettit 8 ton tipper

well hot on the heel of Gav, i have also got back into the scratch builds, got a bit bored of tractor convos/builds, so needed a challenge, this to date has prob taken me 10 hours, hell of a lot of angle cuts to do to make the frame work on the drop sides,which will hopefully work, and the actual floor chassis to.

this will hopefully have a 1 piece removable grain top for it, and a 1 piece removable silage kit top to, which i have never seen but its in the brochure i have  so is worth trying but its mostly fine frame and wire mesh?? so not 100% sure its possable to make it and be removable so worth a challange

need a fair bit of work on the chassi, the tow eye and point that it meets the main chassis, and the wheel section are near on finished, just need to do the inner bar and fine finish the turning of the wheels

wheel are of the uh vanto trailer and i recon suit a pettit very very well

have now sadly run out of the wood i need to finish it for the miniute( hello marky ;) ), and am waiting on the small pick up tools i ebay ordered to arrive to do the multi stage ramsd

002-22.jpg

003-23.jpg

004-18.jpg

005-19.jpg

006-16.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers lads, been worth the effort, really got me back into the build part of the hobby,been a bit like gav  recently and lost the will with it ,but now i dont want to put the board away, had to as we have friends round soon :D :D :D  but didnt want to

looks good  , but will be fun painting I bet  ;)

should be ok iain, all the woods removable at present, so its just spray then refit ,

cheers lads, got a bit more done this morning before going out, now got 2 of the side's to drop down properly, hopefully will get the other 2 done tommorrow, then its rear tailgate, going to see if i can top and bottom hing it as per the real ones,top ones easy enough to do, but allowing it to bottom swing like the sides may be a little harder to do but i need this for the grain sides

bit more progress, got the basic shape arround the tow eye/ main chassis join now, just needs sanding ect to final shape, also got all 4 sides done and working ,made a slight mistake on the rear one, not quite wide enough, but recon once painted it will be ok, better to have some room for movement on this one as it will obviously be the main working one for grain ect

013-4.jpg

012-4.jpg

011-6.jpg

010-7.jpg

cheers pete, got the latches sorted in my head now, pretty simple actually, and the grain extensions are simple to, the silage top isnt as bad as i thought, have a feeling i can use the rear latches from the lower woodern  tailgate  to hold it in place so will just require a fixing point at the tractor end

yes mate, they aint fixed yet use them as a kind of support as i make the framework, ,will do the floor next, then once i have sorted the latches and rear tailgate i will get the bottom painted up, then go for the grain sides, and hopefully follow that with silage tops, will use the tailgate locks at the back to hold it all in place when tipped for that

Tidy Sean  ;) Looks like a real fiddly build - are you taking the timber off to paint it?  :D

cheers tris

well bit more today, all the drop down latches are on, just need to fit the holders to the framework to keep them upright, also added the tow eye, not right i know, but went for the easy option on this one, also got the rams in, and the start of the grain sides , have gone for the 32" lower woodern sides, with 18" top extensions, as this is what our smaller 5 ton ones had on the farm, made the lower trailer more usable for other tasks, just need to wait and see if the local model shop can get the wood i need to finish the floor etc now, as they no longer stock it >:( >:(  but have 6 or 7 other people waiting on stuff so are doing a final order ,so done a bulk 20 m order to be sure incase future projects happen, like a 6 ton high lift  ;) ;) ;) ;)

004-20.jpg

005-21.jpg

006-18.jpg

003-24.jpg

002-23.jpg