Brian Normans MF1200 v the UH MF1200 ?

Lord Ferguson

Just been watching a Brian Norman MF1200 on eBay... it only made £52... having seen them fetch 5 times that in the past, it does make you question if the UH MF1200 has had an impact on the price and desirability of Brians groundbreaking model... as Uncle Kev says..

discuss...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140383564608&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

£52 and only 4 bids  :of

good point, they do not travel well, theres a topic on farmphoto with a smashed one in it, would love to get hold of one in that state, loads of potential

don't travel well huh.....I had lots of stuff come from your side of the pond and only had one item broke and that was because it was not pack really secure...I think if they are tied down like RC2 does or screwed down like UH does they are safe to ship......

good point, they do not travel well, theres a topic on farmphoto with a smashed one in it, would love to get hold of one in that state, loads of potential

also Paypal i think deters some buyers doesnt it?, well it did me!!

yours travelled well Sean, personal service i remember! ;) ;)

it did ben, but they are fragile, will find the farmphoto topic for you to see the pics,

i guess the uh one will have some sort of effect on the prices, but it comes down to the buyer at the end, i know a brian norman is better, thats why i bought it, proper rear linkage(ok doesnt work) very heavy and well made, not plasticy, same reasons i buy dave purdeus stuff, well made better quallity, 100% right no niggles like wrong wheels on the 590, or seat and arches on the 135, these guys know their jobs far better than mr uh i recon

The 'local pick-up only' will have reduced the number of potential bidders hugely for a start,  added to which the seller had put "no paypal payment on this item" which is against eBay rules and can give possible bidders the impression that all is not as it should be (no PayPal = No buyer protection if the deal goes wrong - admittedly not usually much of a problem with cash on pick-up).

There is also the matter of the very scant description and no sign (or mention) of the all important box. It is also listed as 'used' in the item specifics, which means that anyone who uses item specifics to search for 'new' only, won't see it.

Undoubtedly the UH 1200, being nearly £100 cheaper will have some negative effect on these models (regardless as to which is perceived to be superior).  If may only bring them back to their true value (they are still available at the original price after all).  The £200 -£300 they had been making on eBay was clearly ridiculous.

The future value and collectability of Brians model will be in its limited availability, whilst, in 10 years time no doubt UH will still be churning theirs out and will have produced tens of thousands of them.

i bought a collection of ebay 2 weeks ago ,38 britains  tractors /implements (pick up only 25 miles away) got it for £103  i put £200 on it and thought it would make upwards of 250-300  ..could have been the pick up that put people off like the 1200.. also the lad said he had 34 watchers and loads of questions about it

There has been a huge downturn in the value of BN models this year and I for one have no idea why  ;)

I easily sold a batch of 1200's last year for around the £200 mark...but the two current conversion NH models are both only selling for £75 - £90  :-\

Its a tricky time at the moment even in the

collector circut as the week pound and recsession will have a

heavy hand in down sales I recon

these models where going for a small fortune in past years

but if nobody has got the money and they are struggling to make ends meet

the hobby takes a back seat as it has with me the last 2 years

The 'local pick-up only' will have reduced the number of potential bidders hugely for a start,  added to which the seller had put "no paypal payment on this item" which is against eBay rules and can give possible bidders the impression that all is not as it should be (no PayPal = No buyer protection if the deal goes wrong - admittedly not usually much of a problem with cash on pick-up).

As a seller, you would have to be insane to offer paypal on a collection. It is impossible for a seller to prove that it has been collected without tracking numbers, so all a buyer has to do is claim that "it never showed up" and they get a refund and the item.

As a seller, you would have to be insane to offer paypal on a collection. It is impossible for a seller to prove that it has been collected without tracking numbers, so all a buyer has to do is claim that "it never showed up" and they get a refund and the item.

Under eBay rules you are not permitted to refuse PayPal!!! even for pick-up items. 

However, in most such cases the buyer will want to pay cash anyway, which is why I put:

no PayPal = No buyer protection if the deal goes wrong - admittedly not usually much of a problem with cash on pick-up

Doesn't alter the fact that offering 'collection only' will severely restrict the number of bidders and so the finishing price (as happened last week!)