Proposed FTF Farm Tour - South/South West

Deere-est

Hello One and All and welcome to a new section on Farmtoys Forum and hopefully a new part of the site we can all get involved in off line.

During this week I am looking to contact farmers/managers etc in the south/south west of England. The plan is to air some thoughts on a visit, in the hope that one or some of the recipients are willing to give some time for a group of us to visit. Hopefully it will involve a talk and a tour to look at their farms, machinery and how they all work.

If this is something that would interest you then please reply to this post. You can also PM me if you wish.

I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully organising an FTF Tour.

Thanks, Tris.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also be interested in factory tours to either tractor or plant manufacturers, I know that JCB hold regular tours and they are very accommodating, don't know who else would do it though. Unfortunately I think trips to Beauvais are a bit far for most of us though  :'( :'( :'(

All good things  :)

For now I am just putting feelers out in my own area but pending it's success further tours will certainly be organised in other areas and to other establishments. Not The Rovers Return though. :laugh:

Echo Tris's comments. Its something we have been wanting to do for some time. If we get enough interest in the event here, we will certainly look at other areas. More so, if you live in a particular region and fancy yourself being an "Event Marshall" to help organise it, please feel free to PM Tris, or Myself.

that would be good would it be contractor or farmer?

it's a good idea.

Hopefully a large farm this time. It is difficult to get a contractor when all his machines are in one place!!  :laugh:

It hasn't been ruled out for another time though that's for sure  :)

Not very many farms down here do tours and talks now. NFU would be the organisation that would give you a list of farms that do most likeley.

Vapormatic do a good tour of their Exeter warehouse, they can accommodate around 40 people at any one time and you all go round in smaller groups. I had a personal tour last year with the UK and Europe manager, took about 3 hours and was very interesting.

language farm does tours etc of the main farm and ice cream factory attached to it, they do a lot for schools etc, used to have a long walkway / platform over the milking parlour , just outside plymouth now after they sold the old farm to the new power station,

that or possably b&b contractors, largest in the southwest apparently, and yards all over inc your way tris, could be an option, may know someone who works there still?? will check

http://www.bandbcontractorsltd.co.uk/

That sound good tris my brother works on a veg farm very close to spalding so if it goes ok i could perhaps ask him to find out for us but i would certainlybe interested in a tour of farms or factories

regards nick

Is that LFP Nick?

I hope so. I think it really units that "club community" feel to FTF.

I have some good contacts with the Gaydon car plants too if that interests anyone! Could possibly get a tour of Perkins Engines at Pboro and their Desford site.

I hope so. I think it really units that "club community" feel to FTF.

I have some good contacts with the Gaydon car plants too if that interests anyone! Could possibly get a tour of Perkins Engines at Pboro and their Desford site.

Gaydon's AMAZING but JLR are pretty touchy about letting people in.... if you could arrange that one I'd be there like a shot.... Had a morning playing the RRS S/C there at the end of January, incredible facility, I fear for it's future under Tata's ownership though, it's a bit of a luxury....

Other areas will be considered in the future! We hope to make this something Farmtoys Forum can offer more than once a year in a different area each time.

For now, I am looking to organise a tour/day trip in the south/south west.