Andy's Photo Diary

Andy

Well since I have finally got my new camera, I thought it would be a great excuse to start a new topic. I have been slowly becoming fonder of photography and intend to get a lot of use out of my new equipment. I will try and cover a variety of topics, ranging from farming to simple scenic and naturistic themes  :)

Hopefully you will see a visible improvement as I become more experienced with the camera as I would class myself as a complele novice at the moment!

Anyway, camera arrived yesterday - 20th April 2010. So I thought I would head down the lane to the River Soar and take its first few snaps!

post-2-132639285412_thumb.jpg

post-2-132639285501_thumb.jpg

Oh yes... Now I am cross  >:(  .. superb pics already bossky... or may I call you 'golden balls'  >:(  ...

I see you have already mastered depth of field on day bloody one...

I hereby resign as the official FTF photographer... before I get the old... "Marky... may I see you in my office please... and bring the keys to the FTF dark room with you by the way"  :'( :'( :'(

Seriously though... great stuff... I am looking at how this progresses now... for lesson 2... we'll have a picture of the moon please... I've been trying for a few years now and never achieved a pin sharp one  :-[ :'(

I assume you know that the longer then lens is out the better your pictures will look from a focus/DOF point of view ??? - Images will be much crisper at the end of your zoom.

Also... next on your list to buy... 105mm Nikkor VR Micro lens - cracking lens for our kind of stuff...

and a Tripod..

and a puffer..

and a lens cloth..

and a polarizing filter..

and a decent speedlight..

it gets expensive (and bloody addicitive too) that's all I'll say  :-[

I dont think so Mark. I read a review saying even those useless at photography can take a good pic with this camera. I think im towards that end of the scale at the moment! It was in Auto mode too so little adjustments on my part.

Tripod is certainly somemthing I will get soon. These were taken supported on a bench. Those held just by me were much worse!

A tripod is very useful - I have a lightweight telescopic one that works well for me especially using the photographers trick of setting the timer for close ups of models. 

It is small and light enough when folded to fit in my handbag (yes I do have a big (-ish) handbag.

Lovely pics of wildlife

What camera did you buy, Andy?

The sooner that Ferguson chap gets ousted the better  ;D

I recently bought a tripod in Aldi for £15 - I was doubtful but it's excellent, so keep an eye out.  :)

What camera did you buy, Andy?

The sooner that Ferguson chap gets ousted the better  ;D

I recently bought a tripod in Aldi for £15 - I was doubtful but it's excellent, so keep an eye out.  :)

John I think I read somewhere it was a Nikon D90.

Excellent looking pictures Andy. Mind you it does not look as though it came cheap. Maybe it time for me to lay up my 3 year old £ 77 Samsung L83 from Costco. Hey I can start a camera collection too ;D ;D

http://products.pricerunner.co.uk/results/product?pid=1146987&cateid=29&q=Nikon%20>%20Digital+Cameras

John I think I read somewhere it was a Nikon D90.

Excellent looking pictures Andy. Mind you it does not look as though it came cheap. Maybe it time for me to lay up my 3 year old £ 77 Samsung L83 from Costco. Hey I can start a camera collection too ;D ;D

http://products.pricerunner.co.uk/results/product?pid=1146987&cateid=29&q=Nikon%20>%20Digital+Cameras

I hope Andy didn't buy it from Asda.....he'll be pig sick!  :of  :laugh:

great purchase there Andy! although i am a Canon man myself, my brother has a new Nikon and makes great pictures(for his doing). a tripod is a necessity. Although i'd recommend a small one, as i have a bigger type one, and keep forgetting to take it with me ;) .

my girlfriend has studied photography and is very good. I am a bit of an amateur, although i only shoot in Manual mode.

What i know from starting shooting digitally is that to start with using the many pre-setted modes on the camera and let the camera do all the work. You'll have enough trouble getting a good composition/angle and keeping the camera still.

Also the lenses are very important. My kit involves a 10-22mm huge-angle lens, a 18-200mm standard lens(most common as that range pretty much covers everything from landscapes to macro), a 50mm lens (this is a great lens with loads of DOF and mostly usable for photographing smaller items like tractor models  :D ) and i hope to add a 300-500 telelens before i go on vacation in the summer. So if you have only a standard lens, it's good for the first few months, but you'll be wanting to expand your range and a single lens that covers most(but do buy brands, not replica stuff) of a range would be very recommendable!

looking forward to your growth as a photographer  ;)

How very true... it's the lens that makes the picture really... not the body  :-\  ... I got the bug when I bought my first DSLR... then I had to upgrade my lens to an 18-200 like that crazy ford nutcase above me... then it was a micro lens.. now I am looking into a wide-angle as well...

I also bought a little fixed reticle 50mm lens for poor lighting conditions as well recently... goodness only knows why as I've not used it more than twice  :-[  :) :) :)

Not forgetting the flash/speedlight systems of course - that's another whole money pit  :-[ :'(

Well I am heading back from university in Loughborough to Spalding this morning so hope to get a few images on the way back. Its usually good for plenty of farming activity so hopefully it will not disappoint this morning!

• 4 months later...

A few machinery pics from the little panasonic lumix on my travels this morning. Apologies for not updating this topic more often. Ive found myself in the right place at the wrong time and vice versa with the other camera so very few working machinery shots!

post-2-132639442329_thumb.jpg

post-2-132639442356_thumb.jpg

Lovely photographs bossky...

Umm.. take a look at the position of the chappy in the deere... just to the left of the centre of the straw swath... I thought it was just a bit of bad measuring on the Lexion spout we had... but it seems that more than one of them discharge a tad too far over to the left to let the tractor run in the centre of the previous row left by the combine... er... or am I missing something ???

Also... that's another spout shape I've not seen before on a Lexion... that's 3 differing types I've noted now  :-\

Lovely photographs bossky...

Umm.. take a look at the position of the chappy in the deere... just to the left of the centre of the straw swath... I thought it was just a bit of bad measuring on the Lexion spout we had... but it seems that more than one of them discharge a tad too far over to the left to let the tractor run in the centre of the previous row left by the combine... er... or am I missing something ???

Also... that's another spout shape I've not seen before on a Lexion... that's 3 differing types I've noted now  :-\

There is so many options of spout length and end pieces that it gets confusing. Looks like the standard end piece would work well on that machine, but then it ends up too high if it is very windy.

The wind may have been a factor yesterday. We had 30  mph gusts at the time.

Unfortunately I didn't get a go as I was in a rush  >:( but theres still a week or so left around here so a few more opportunities!

Managed to get a few more snaps tonight. Baling on clover..! These machines were seriously motoring around the field too so made it quite hard to get a decent image. These are some of the best out of about 50 odd  ;D 

A lot of the contractors and big farms are buying blue at the moment evidently.

post-2-132639443328_thumb.jpg

post-2-132639443361_thumb.jpg