silage is on

Tractorman810

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are still several weeks off it here most will start cutting in June. Very few will take any in May.

Suprised you have enough grass to cut up there Murray  ::)

its at the cousins place rob. been shut of for ages they do three cuts, about the only boys at it in may same with stempster they usually start about now

Wont be at it for at least two weeks down here,...never known such a long cold spell during april and may.Most of the leys are about 6 inches tall at the moment apart from the 20 acres we put the dirty water on all winter.

no im ither cruising the 6230, or a 6320

Hope you get some pics of it, we dont have as much grass as we hoped we would have although a local farm that runs a grass drier for pet food have started their first cut.

Well the majority of fields i've seen being cut makes me wonder if it's really worth it ? i've seen acres of it knocked down , but with little to no growth worth speaking of, like ricky said grass clippings.

You know when it's bad when you see the rows being raked on first cut ,  but one reason for this is some farmers dont want the headache with a repeat of last winter & dwindling forage supplies & are taking an early cut to get extra maize ground ploughed & drilled , maize seed sales have risen judjing by what some of our bag drivers have been saying as they've been delivering more this year than last

was just thinking the same, tiny cut really, would that be a early cut then?? seems almost like a 3rd cut i saw last year, tiny amount of grass coming out, but they went for it for a little extra in the clamp that year

Some of these boys doing the early cuts could be doing so through shear desperation after the prolonged winter if they still have livestock inside. I know a lot of farms were running low on silage and other farm grown feeds a while back so they may not have any choice other than to make a light first cut in order to be able to keep feeding housed livestock

Should be starting between Thurs and Sat of this week all being well. Light cuts are being taken for a number of reasons, catching it before it goes to seed and spoils, encouraging regrowth for grazing/more cuts, sugar levels being right. The grass may have stopped growing for a short time but leaving it may hinder the winters feed supply or indeed summer grazing.