Farming action in East Anglia (UK)

Richard de Florennes

its a great place to work aswell!! Been in most of the fields around Mildenhall and Lakenheath, can get a bit noisey at times.

how long are you over for Sascha??

Have been over on your island for just a couple of days two weeks ago, doing the air tattoo over at Fairford, then hunting some airplanes East Anglia via Cranwell - Coningsby - Mildenhall and finally Lakenheat for the F-22 Raptors deployed there. Plane spotting was my primary hobby until farming action cought me, reducing my aircraft hobby to just a few days per year ...

Anyway, back to topic:

England/Angleterre, region Sleaford, Leasingham Moor, 2010-07-20: farming action on three fields within a few yards ...

1) shreddering the crop of flower bulbs?

hIMG_0949.jpg

hIMG_0952.jpg

hIMG_0956.jpg

hIMG_0958.jpg

hIMG_0960.jpg

Great pictures Sascha thanks for sharing, I know Lincolnshire fairly well as its one of our neighbouring counties, although I live about a mile away from the Cambirdgeshire border, also been too RAF cranwell many times on work as the construction company I work for is building houses just on the very edge of the base, very close to the runway, you drive right through the centre of the base.

Sascha its spelt leeks if that helps. Leek is the emblem of Wales, theyre of the onion family, used in stews or casseroles. Alot of Leeks are grown in the Fens with a couple of very large growers.

Great pictures why not post some of your aircraft pictures in another topic? Im sure others would like to see not just me.

Nice pictures Sascha, you have managed to find some unusual crops whilst you were over here.

Leeks are the national vegetable of Wales and closely related to Onions

http://www.google.co.uk/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=leek&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=-GpaTK3QOJWy0gS05ZBd&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CEQQsAQwBA&biw=1362&bih=609

thanks you very much for explaining me "leeks" - I still always love to learn something new.

Is there also anybody able to explain me something about the small onions with the "blooming" crops which are windrowed and topped before (see pics above)?

What are they called exactly? What are they used for? Look a liitle bit like planting onions used in my garding instead of seeding onions ...

thanks you very much for explaining me "leeks" - I still always love to learn something new.

Is there also anybody able to explain me something about the small onions with the "blooming" crops which are windrowed and topped before (see pictures above)?

What are they called exactly? What are they used for? Look a liitle bit like planting onions used in my garding instead of seeding onions ...

At a guess I would say that they were Shallots, these are small onion type bulbs that are used whole in cooking as they have a wonderful flavour

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&channel=s&biw=1362&bih=609&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=shallots&aq=f&aqi=g3g-m7&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

they maybe shallotts or some growers produce their own onion setts to plant next year, ive only known of one grower to do this as it can involve alot of work.

Shallotts are mainly used for pickling but i wouldnt have thought they would have been left to go to 'head' ???