Send me your farmhouses!

I'm looking at the possibility of producing a 1:32 scale farmhouse kit, but although I have met some fantastic modellers, no one seems to be able to have come up with anything suitable for today's modern farm. So what do you guys think a farmhouse should look like? Any photos would be great :)

not sure if this is any help mandy, but this is ash tree farm from the mid 70's we belive , the house was the same right till sold, with the brick bit being the old dairy , the rest of the farm was added to with new pig units down the left where the old orchard and veg plot was

ashtree70.jpg

Just because farms have modern farm buildings, doesn't mean the farmhouse has to be modern. I'm sure there are lots of farms with old houses, modern buildings, and any surviving old farm buildings converted into another house (or several), which has either been sold off, or used by other members of the farm owning family.

So how about a barn/barnyard house conversion as a model idea?

Look at rural estate agent sites to find photos of zillions of them all.

the origonal 4 window door end of ash tree is from arround 1680 odd from memory david, it was a listed building when sold, but the extension was put on before that was done , along with the dairy part, when the extension went on they also removed the thatched roof that was on it, all this was done about 20 years before we bought it which was apparently arround 1922  from what i can learn from the familly, the only work they did as such was plaster it apparently as it had partly fallen off from the origonal house due to the work

the origonal 4 window door end of ash tree is from arround 1680 odd from memory david, it was a listed building when sold, but the extension was put on before that was done , along with the dairy part, when the extension went on they also removed the thatched roof that was on it, all this was done about 20 years before we bought it which was apparently arround 1922  from what i can learn from the familly, the only work they did as such was plaster it apparently as it had partly fallen off from the origonal house due to the work

I wasn't referring to the houses in the photos, but rather to Mandy's:

I'm looking at the possibility of producing a 1:32 scale farmhouse kit, but although I have met some fantastic modellers, no one seems to be able to have come up with anything suitable for today's modern farm.

Mandy are you talking new builds ? i could go out and make some pictures for you if you want.

There are some nice new farm in this area.

Here is a pic of my dad's farm, not new at all, this was taken in the early 70's

Erik

post-1180-132639762809_thumb.jpg

A farmhouse would be a great idea Mandy, maybe the limited interest is because not many people are farmers or everyones is different, like our farmhouse is different to the neighbours even though they were built around the same time and part of the same estate.

I will try find a picture of ours at some point, aslo would you like one of our barn conversion which is now a house?

I think there are two main reasons why there aren't alot of farmhouses about -

1. Cost, the John Gittens buildings Mandy sells are very nice well detailed replica's, abeit a bit old fashioned more akin to a farm workers cottage than the main farmhouse and are quite strong money, as is the Brushwood farmhouse, which with some of Mandy's flemish or english style brick sheeting plus a bit of further modification could be a very nice house, but at over £100 to purchase in the first place it makes it expensive for us mere mortals on less than £18000/year  ;)

2. Geographical location, in Devon there are alot of the traditional devon longhouse's, however whilst working for different farmers and contractors in the past, I have seen different styles of house just in Devon, going further afield to different counties and across the borders to Scotland,Wales and Ireland there are probably more again still.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if we're all honest, most of our model collecting/diorama building stems from real life experience and thus we want models to replicate this, but unfortunately for a manufacture to make replica's of every style of farmhouse similar to the areas we live in, wouldn't be economically viable or practical.

Speaking from a personal point of view I think it would have to retail for no more than £70 to be of interest  :)

If you would like a sample of some Dutch farms perhaps I could help with that ... but I have to say I think this is a marvelous idea, I will soon start construction of my diorama I hope, and will have to build a farmhouse from scratch.

If you would like a sample of some Dutch farms perhaps I could help with that ... but I have to say I think this is a marvelous idea, I will soon start construction of my diorama I hope, and will have to build a farmhouse from scratch.

That would be brilliant - thanks. I like the idea of fairly plain farmhouse, that you can add to if you want to customize it :-\

It interests me, Mandy . ...  just don't have any pictures of farmhouses  :-[

The Council farms of Wiltshire offer up a diverse range of farm houses mind - as do most farms I suppose really but around me there are some wonderful buildings ranging from centuries old, decades old and even one or two years old.

tell you what mandy, why not do a range of doors, windows  stuff like that which people can buy to make the houses them selfs?? you sell the sheet material like brick and stone finishes,add say sheets of slate roof or concrete tiles to the range , and a sheet of stiff card to glue it to , you could offer any style of house really, 32nd scale windows doors ect are pretty hard to find for builders like us,

You are going to have your work cut out Mandy. 

I have visited a lot of farms and every farmhouse is different ranging from fairly modern back through Victorian, Georgian, 16th and 14th centuries  to a Doomsday manor house where part of the original 11th century building still remains. 

Perhaps you should think of looking at a particular county to see if there is a basic type, decide on a century, and then work from there. I suspect it is more likely to be of building materials rather than design such as flint in Hampshire and slate/granite in Cornwall.

• 5 weeks later...