What's your favourite make of tractor?

JoshParkinson

Everyone has their own opinion on the best make of tractor/machinery and it is often what they have grown up with or what suits their particular farming operation, it could even be just a prejudice that has been passed on to them by others.

From a Moderator point of view, whilst we do not wish to stifle good honest debate, we will not allow this to degenerate into a "colour war" and if that happens the topic will be locked and deleted.

I apologise if this seems heavy handed but as Ol says, we have had these topics before and tempers can get frayed.

well said robbo,i must admit,im not into 1 brand,every manafacturer has there good and bad points,as long as the cab is clean,aircon and radio/cd work,im happy

Ford for me... or John Deere  :P:D :D

No... I'm kidding... now this may, just may, come as a shock to you... but I'm an MF fan through and through... old or new... but I'll give the 6100 and 8100 series a miss if it's all the same to you  :-[:D :D

Hey that rhymes  :P

Ford for me... or John Deere  :P:D :D

No... I'm kidding... now this may, just may, come as a shock to you... but I'm an MF fan through and through... old or new... but I'll give the 6100 and 8100 series a miss if it's all the same to you  :-[:D :D

Hey that rhymes  :P

Massey Ferguson fan? well i would never have guessed that  ;)

:of :of :of Lord Ferguson your a massey fan i would of put you down as a zetor fan  :laugh:

as for the suspension thing (sorry josh for starting it in you thread) im not saying its a bad yes i have worked with tractors with suspension and yes it nice but i hope im right in saying this and i dont want it to go into a war again but if you compare tractor please compare them like for like eg a tractor that has suspension and one that hasnt the one with suspension is always is going to win hands down  :D   

if its designed by a German, built by a German in Germany thats good enough for me.

Ive said before modern tractors are pretty much the same nowadays just different colours, the only modern tractors that stand apart and have character are the Xerion, Fendt.........

As with other similar topics like this in the past I write from the perspective of someone who doesn't sit aboard and operate them for a living but when given the opportunity to drive any tractor an entusiastic smile will always remain on my face irrelevent of manufacturer. Whilst I tend to have the blue of Ford coursing through my veins i've thoroughly enjoyed experiences in the past driving anything from an International BTD6 and four furrow Ransomes TS-46 trailer plough to leading manure with a Massey Ferguson 3095 and straw with an AP cabbed Ford 6610. :)

I've thought about this off and on all day and have come to the conclusion that I don't have a favourite make of tractor. I have enjoyed the vast majority of the tractors I have driven with the exception of two that I remember. A John Deere 8430 artic and a Massey Ferguson 2745 both for the same reason, both owners of these tractors put the fear of God into me about the unreliability of the engines in each tractor and I spent the whole time driving them expecting them to blow up!

There are many individual stand-outs for me, IH 574, our Deutz DX4.70 and Agrotron 110, a neighbour's DX110, beautiful sound, also his Versatile 875, now there's a tractor! I spent a couple of summers picking around 15,000 small square bales with a New Holland 1032 bale wagon behind a John Deere 720. A pup-starter, a hand clutch, standing up to drive when loaded and a road speed of about 12 MPH but what a sound that old 2 cylinder made all day. Good times.

Still, no favourite make though.

Ahh yeah, the 6270 was my tractor even though i never liked her, the boss thought it would be alright to not have suspension on it, hours yeah and then i spent 18 discing heavy land and then couldn't walk properly for 2 days afterwards, it was short wheelbase as well so it just seemed to feel the bumps more than our 6465 which was normal wheelbase, and i found myself having to fill up with diesel often, and i'm not sure whether it was bad fuel consumption or it was a small fuel tank, and then in the end it had a lot of fuel trouble, so that's when we bought the Claas Arion 640, got told by the boss it was going to be my tractor since it replaced my tractor, went in a few days later and i was told to go on the 6465 because the other lad had claimed the claas and was telling everybody it was his, that was one of the reasons i left, i'm starting to regret it now though because i'm really, really, really, REALLY starting to miss farming  :-\

You spent 18 hours discing?

your 14?

the most i've ever done is 14 hours drawing silage!  ;D

Just a thought about the suspension debate, we had a JD 6900 that had no suspension at all, and a 6910 with TLS. Overall in ordinary fieldwork there was very little differance between the two. However on road work the TLS on the 6910 would win hands down

You spent 18 hours discing?

your 14?

the most i've ever done is 14 hours drawing silage!  ;D

Yes mate, started at 7:30am finished at about 1:30am the next morning, we'd been told there was rain coming, so i was discing wheat stubble in and the other lad was right up behind me drilling rape with the combi drill, we came in the next morning not only very knackered but feeling very proud of ourselves for getting as much done as we did (about 45-50 acres, i was discing it twice and he was using a combi drill at 1.8mph!) on not very brilliant land, then about half 11 that morning the rain poured down, god i was proud of myself!  ;D

I think the most i've done is 18-19 hours at harvest, once again started at half 7 and finished at half 3 in the morning, luckily it was a friday night so we had the day off on saturday  ;)

Since the man I work for the odd time bought a Claas, I have to say I've grown towards them!..

Really don't think they get enough credit out there in the big World!

there a reason for that, there one down by me on  the farm my dad workes for and all it is troble

going to cheat and name my top 5:

1) Muir Hill (surprise surprise  ;D)

2) Massey Ferguson- visited the Coventry factory when I was 9 and loved the red beasts ever since!

3) County- like Muir Hill these animals just shout raw power.

4) Deutz Fahr- my first Britains was a Deutz Fahr and the rest is history.

5) Class- mainly for the Combines but that Xerion 5000 is just amazing

ps Anyone in North Yorkshire offering rides in tractors gets a hamper the size of cornwall  ;)

lights are never as good as daylight hey. :)

Very true Ol but nothing quite like on your own in middle of nowhere with the lights on plodding along in the early hours. I enjoy it do enough of it all year  :laugh:

I feel same though when comes to Claas not enough credit is given to them, I got friends that say its because there just trouble etc, yet everyone I know locally is excellent even a 7000hr axion 820.  I think its because there still small in tractor stakes that there's so many slagging them off not enough out there yet to prove otherwise! So even when dealer vans there for a small niggle there terrible.  Yet with our JD seen JD van too many times yet thats just normal teething problems! (not slagging deere off just example)  :-\ :-\

going to cheat and name my top 5:

1) Muir Hill (surprise surprise  ;D )

2) Massey Ferguson- visited the Coventry factory when I was 9 and loved the red beasts ever since!

3) County- like Muir Hill these animals just shout raw power.

4) Deutz Fahr- my first Britains was a Deutz Fahr and the rest is history.

5) Class- mainly for the Combines but that Xerion 5000 is just amazing

ps Anyone in North Yorkshire offering rides in tractors gets a hamper the size of cornwall  ;)

Do the tractors have to be off that list?  :P  bloke up the road from us has 3 Muir Hill 121's