Perfect Hobby Farm Tractor?

harvey123

Well guys, my dads thinking about moving, some where a bit smaller to ours with about 50 acres or so, but we're in a debate, we're trying to figure out what the perfect tractor would be?

Now bear in mind that it will need to be able to pull an 8 ton excavator with a tri-axle low-loader and a 12 ton dump trailer, Now my dads thinking a ford 7840/8340 or a TS115A or maybe even a TS110A ?

But we're open to any suggestions! also around the 120 ish hp mark ?  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

You could look for a nice 60 series or TM if the money is there and it's blue you've a fancy for? Now the newer T series are established prices for predecessors are coming back a bit.

I agree with Tris, 60 seris or a TM  :)

Dont go much on TSA's seem to lack in power and have a few problems. The TS's are alright tractors seem to hold there value well!

Or if you were going Massey i think a 6270 would go well, proper tractors they are!

Nothing wrong with a TS135A,.....lovely machine,no problems at all with ours yet,.....nearly 6000 on the clock .... 8) 8)

Go and wash your mouth out Cerin.... >:( >:(

Haha, Boss's dads TS110A has numerous electrical faults and is rather gutless! And i haven't heared many good things about other peoples  ;)

It is really going to depend on your definition of a "hobby farm", what your budget is and what acreage you have got. Most small modern tractors up to 90/100 hp would probably fit the bill but if you only have 40/50 acres then you would be better off looking for a well cared for or restored classic.

• 1 month later...

a nice well cared for MF 3085/3095 or a MF399 18 speedshift or heres a  tractor for you that MF4270 with the TB turbo thats in the Classic Tracror the one that your man has changed for the MF5480  ;D i wouldnt mind that one myself  :laugh:

i would go for a Massey 6180. i think there easy operated and wile handy. pull 12tonne no bother. even more. as i been drawing a 16tonne kane with extended sides full till the pipe with barley. she never looks behind her.. :)

maybe even a 6170

What about the electrical problems with a 6100 series MF, they are well known for not being the best on that score  :-\  6270/80/90 maybe though, they are great little tractors

What about the electrical problems with a 6100 series MF, they are well known for not being the best on that score  :-\  6270/80/90 maybe though, they are great little tractors

i have heard people talking about this but i think in rubbish. nafin never fails on any 6100series i have drove. 6140/50/60/80. and drive them every year and still going well.  ???

i have heard people talking about this but i think in rubbish. nafin never fails on any 6100series i have drove. 6140/50/60/80. and drive them every year and still going well.  ???

Well you can only go on your own expirience then Dom, must be alright the ones you drive

Wouldn;t have thought you'd need to go as big as a MF 6000 series on that acreage , get a nice 5400 series about 100 hp with a loader , will do anything you'll ever need it to, just ask Lord Ferguson he'll tell you.

Oh indeedy doo.. I agree... a 5455 with a 955 loader would be the kiddy I reckon... basic machine, well proven and very little 'gadgetry' to go wrong... go on... you know you want to  :P:-*

I love my 54.... it's the swiss army knife of tractors and does all I ever want it to do... and more besides  :P:-*

Oh indeedy doo.. I agree... a 5455 with a 955 loader would be the kiddy I reckon... basic machine, well proven and very little 'gadgetry' to go wrong... go on... you know you want to  :P:-*

I love my 54.... it's the swiss army knife of tractors and does all I ever want it to do... and more besides  :P:-*

Now then lads and lasses, went and looked at a few machines to say the least, (about 20 from all brands)

And we're going to go and have a second look at a john deere 3650 (love at first sight) 1609 hours from new and it's like new, never been touched with a spanner! ;D:D:P

either or of the blues. We have a 7840 sl turbo and ts115 turbo on our farm just under 350 acres, no contractor required. the 2 do everything including wagoning silage and pushing up along with a 2500gl Abbey. Both are turbo. But will not turn away from a bit of abuse!! both well over 9000hours

Now then lads and lasses, went and looked at a few machines to say the least, (about 20 from all brands)

And we're going to go and have a second look at a john deere 3650 (love at first sight) 1609 hours from new and it's like new, never been touched with a spanner! ;D:D:P

woooooo  :of 1609 HOURS on a JD3650 now theres not many of them left good luck with that you will have to post pictures of it please  :D

woooooo  :of1609 HOURS on a JD3650 now theres not many of them left good luck with that you will have to post pictures of it please  :D

Should actually be 1840, its now got 1856 as brother spent alot of time driving it back today, out on it tomorrow rowing up 200 acres of silage :D

It's 40k and has high lift? hydraulics, And got a tb turbo, need a stainless steel straightpipe for it now, just having this conversation with Cerin on facebbok :-*

Should actually be 1840, its now got 1856 as brother spent alot of time driving it back today, out on it tomorrow rowing up 200 acres of silage :D

It's 40k and has high lift? hydraulics, And got a tb turbo, need a stainless steel straightpipe for it now, just having this conversation with Cerin on facebbok :-*

Harvey im in love with you now i LOVE TB TURBO's i hope it bring you joy i know with the sound of that tb turbo it would bring me joy :) no need for a radio  :laugh: :laugh:

I think i speak for everyone on here when i say where the picture of this fine looking machine  :laugh: