what is the biggest farm field in the uk?

as the titlle says,just watching a programme on bbc1,the truth about wildlife,its on about the decline of wildlife due to all sorts of things sprays,lack of hedges etc,and the presenter said,there is a field in winchester thats 2 miles long,ive worked in some pretty big fields 1 in hampshire just under a 100 acres but can anybody tell me the biggest,i did hear there was a massive grass field in ireland as well,not sure if north or south,anybody know?

We had one 150 acre field where I used to work and our neighbours had a 200 acre field, probably the biggest I've come across so far around here. The biggest one where I am now is 66 acres.

Place I worked at in the late 70's had 2 x 100 acre fields however, they later divided each of then on two with a hedge and wildlife strips to comply with the regulations. I remember the farmer saying to me that he had spent the last 30 years pulling out hedges and he would probably spend the rest of his life putting them back in again.

thanks for all the replys,just that the guy on that programme said the field was 2 miles long and it wasnt narrow,that must be huge,contractor who i work for,the fields vary from 3.6 ha to one 15 ha field,the farm i worked in hampshire ,nothing under 30 acres and as i said in this topic one 100 acre field,the majority ,60 acres in size,not to bad though as we had a 8 metre horsch cultivator,the 15 ha field i mentioned is in grass,great laugh rolling that one,with a 9 foot roller!!!!!!!!

i seem to remember our biggest being just under 100 acres, in a weird shape, mainly down to ditches being filled over the years and drainage being  put in where they used to be, sort of curled right round the main farm

thanks for the reply sean,the programme on last night was very interesting

in the land of big arable near me and where i work the average field size is anywhere between 50-90 acres but there some 150 acres and there are around 4 x 200+ i know of. due to there being many old ww2 airports near me there are many big fields by the sides of those and suckleys who ill be working for have perfect triangle shaped field that is 160acres in the middle of 3 runways

thats in the shropshire (telford,shrewsbury,oswestry areas)

There are quite a few 100 acre fields within a radius of 20miles of where I live. I believe there is a 200ac field between Salisbury and Winchester/Andover.

he said on the programme that the field that stretched for 2 miles was in winchester tris