what is the biggest farm field in the uk?

Our biggest field is 190 acres (headland alone is 40 acres) and if wasnt for a grass track going down the middle it would be a 280 acres, we have 4 more 100 acre plus fields dream for output

Blimey, just remembered the two 150ac I worked in on grain cart and later on for spraying down near Hindon. Paul and Mark may even know the two I mean. First two fields on the left from the traffic lights on the A350 towards Hindon.

Just at the other end of the scale, we bought a combine from a farm in aberdeenshire that farmed 600 acres in fields that were no bigger than 10 acres  ::)  how that farm would long for your 200ac fields  ;D

Largest we have is in the middle of the airfield and 85-90 acres, but next door have one which they claim is 50 acres between each set of telegraph poles and theres 5 of them so would assume its about 250 acres, I know tannington group have a field near worlingworth in Suffolk which is about 450acres in one field but I'd say that was about the biggest.

Largest we have is in the middle of the airfield and 85-90 acres, but next door have one which they claim is 50 acres between each set of telegraph poles and theres 5 of them so would assume its about 250 acres, I know tannington group have a field near worlingworth in Suffolk which is about 450acres in one field but I'd say that was about the biggest.

i have a feeling that may be a myth, will check with my uncle, if its the one i think it is, it  was owned by tuckwells till they sold some land off , they used to own a good porportion of land round there , so unless they have opened out more ditchs and stuff, i doubt anywhere round there could accomodate a 450 acre filed with all the roads ect ,

Just looked on google earth there are 2 massive fields surrounding tannington hall I'm about 7 miles north of them and the field I'm thinking of is about 5x the size of our largest.. Or it appears to b anyway... You can see they have removed the ditches etc

the one to the rights a fair old size to alex  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  been past these many a time, can get pictures in a fewdays to, pretty sure that used to be tuckwells land, so i can find out what size they are for sure soon with luck

that will be interesting sean

Average field size for us is 4.5 acres !! biggest on farm is 13 acres and that used to be 4 fields until we removed  the hedges !! Self propelled forager doesnt take long do a field when its only 2 acres !!

thanks for the reply valtra,a 2 acre field with a spfh,how long does it take?

400 acres,bloody hell

:of :of :of  Exactly my response as well paul, that field must be like a warzone, just empty and flat  :of  its like putting all our arable and some half of our grassland into one field

The biggest field we had was 90 acres, half a mile long, took me a week to plough it with a 4 furrow plough, starting at 7:30am finishing at about 10 at night although if we filled in the dyke between the other 2 fields next to it the field would be 172 acres, smallest field was barely an acre, took two and a half rounds with the combine, spent more time manouvering in and out of the field than in there cutting, next smallest was 2 acres, that was just a pain moving the combine 4 miles down the road to do a 2 and a 4 acre field  >:(

Well after a bit of asking round I have some info on those fields the biggest is indeed 453 and 1\4 acres  was sold by tuckwells in 1991 to tannington group but was the 2 x 200 odds acres fields  and.  1 x 50 acres layout , it's not unusal to see 3 rented combines in there in summer cutting it and the other larger one to the right as that comes in at 397 acres as their own combines can't keep up , can also usally see 3 case quadtracs working it to  two ploughing and one seeding , rumor has it the group are the only in the uk to be running great plains cultivation kit , the big stuff usally seen in the USA or eastern euro on the big plains fields , out that way later so will try to get a pic or two but it is supposidly the biggest and 2 nd biggest fields in the uk

There was a pretty big field on the outskirts of Shrewsbury, which was supposed to have been the biggest in Shropshire, but it was split down the middle when they built the bypass.  Not sure what the acreage was.  I can remember what seemed like a very big field near Rednal, for the fact that it took their John Deere 955 combine ages to go around the headland!  It probably wasn't all that massive though.