Harvest 2011

jordantaylor

Interesting some are saying there yields are gonna be normal, we've got land from south Essex to Suffolk and all of our wheat will be down by quite some way, our ear count is around 350 with 500+ needed for best yields with us very rarely doing below 4.2t, but its gonna be below that all cause we had 12 mm rain from February to end of may so no fertiliser uptake :'(  this year has been horrendous our light land is long since dead no matter the crop

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting some are saying there yields are going to be normal, we've got land from south Essex to Suffolk and all of our wheat will be down by quite some way, our ear count is around 350 with 500+ needed for best yields with us very rarely doing below 4.2t, but its going to be below that all cause we had 12 mm rain from February to end of may so no fertiliser uptake :'(  this year has been horrendous our light land is long since dead no matter the crop

the klight soil wont help will it phil, athelington halls got a reasonablly mid to heavy clay like soil so what moisture they have had seems to have taken longer to dry out, coupled with good heavy dews its all seems to have worked, mind you, theres some fair size fishers in the soil despite the above

the klight soil wont help will it phil, athelington halls got a reasonablly mid to heavy clay like soil so what moisture they have had seems to have taken longer to dry out, coupled with good heavy dews its all seems to have worked, mind you, theres some fair size fishers in the soil despite the above

Ark at you. . . . a week around some farmers and you're talking sensible all of a sudden . .. makes a change from "When we were still farming with the MF600 series. . .. "

:P :P :laugh: :laugh: :-*:-*

The winter barley and wheat is looking good up here some of the barley is starting to colour up nicely. Probably be the back of July before winter stuff cut but august onwards for spring crops. The barley needs a good bit of sun now.

i got my phone call today telling me to be ready to roll in next week or so, the barley cracking on up this way but think the OSR might just be first. ill get some pics when the combines get going at suckleys.

going to be a good harvest this year, weve had plenty of rain and dry weather forecast for next week so will be the final boost for the crops then we will be full swing.

Well it's gearing up here too now. I've covered a few miles over the week and the first I saw turn was in Devon, then was surprised to see a large field in Suffolk looking ahead of that. Wiltshire is a mixed bag with its varying soils. After next week I'll be on hay then the barley may well all happen at the same time.

i got my phone call today telling me to be ready to roll in next week or so, the barley cracking on up this way but think the OSR might just be first. ill get some pictures when the combines get going at suckleys.

going to be a good harvest this year, weve had plenty of rain and dry weather forecast for next week so will be the final boost for the crops then we will be full swing.

Ah so your quite local...do you know what Combines Suckleys are running these days?  There was an NH CR980 parked up at the Abbots Moor potato place a couple of years back, and I was wondering if the Lexion 600 I saw at Wykey was theres as well?

I remember back in 1989, the combines they used by where I used to live were a Dommy 85 and a Clayson S-1550!

Harvest is actually going on. Just not the yellowy golden stuff everyone loves!

First: Pea vining on the 'hills' of Suffolk with two new PMC 989's.

Second: Pea vining on the flatt of Holland with two PMC 979-CT's.

post-820-13263983588_thumb.jpg

post-820-132639835887_thumb.jpg

Ah so your quite local...do you know what Combines Suckleys are running these days?  There was an NH CR980 parked up at the Abbots Moor potato place a couple of years back, and I was wondering if the Lexion 600 I saw at Wykey was theres as well?

I remember back in 1989, the combines they used by where I used to live were a Dommy 85 and a Clayson S-1550!

i was at cluddley farm yesterday, they have the new holland and the lexion 600tt parked up in the sheds, they are ready and waiting to go now, im starting there on the 4th july so i take it thats when its all kicking off.

im in telford, where are you then if you know suckleys??

i was at cluddley farm yesterday, they have the new holland and the lexion 600tt parked up in the sheds, they are ready and waiting to go now, im starting there on the 4th july so i take it thats when its all kicking off.

im in telford, where are you then if you know suckleys??

oops didn't see this post before asking the question!

I live In Shrewsbury now, but used to live in a place called Bagley, and there were three pretty big fields virtually just in front of the house which Suckleys rented.  They gave them up eventually though, I think a couple of years before we moved out.  I would still see their tackle in the Rednal area though, and I think even across towards Llanymynech they had land.  There was a C reg Dominator 106 and a JD 1188 that I saw all over the place - they had land everywhere.

My Uncle used to work at Abbots Moor as well

Can't wait for harvest to commence so I can get out and about with my camera. I've quite a few farms lined up to visit from previous years and hopefully one or two new ones aswell. I've seen plenty of combines being "fettled" in farmyards in readiness for action too.

Whilst I was out enjoying a small celebratory birthday drink last evening I was speaking with the farmer who was running this New Holland TC-56 I photographed with my old camera last year. He's replaced it this season with a New Holland CX740. :)

DSC07971.jpg

DSC07961.jpg

DSC07996.jpg

definitely the same CR - fell through a load of chicken cack to get a photo of it!  Where are the pictures taken?  Is it the place out by West Felton?

these were taken at cluddley farm, telford. its there main cereals site and where they keep majority of the graders, spud harvesters, combines, irrigators ect... they have a huge machinery shed now, 4 big silo's, very large workshop, large grain/machinery shed ect..

definitely the same CR - fell through a load of chicken cack to get a photo of it!  Where are the pictures taken?  Is it the place out by West Felton?

Get up there every now and again picking old Masseys up from chap who does a few up himself. Infact I may be up there ina week or two unless the gear this time has been picked up by someone else.