Wheel Melt on Newer Models

As i've discovered on the forum over the past few years the issue of "wheel melt" on older Britains models is well documented, however has anyone experienced similar issues with much newer models?

My main reason for asking is this is how I discovered one of the front wheels of my ROS New Holland T7070 when I took it out of the cabinet it's been living in to photograph today.

P1080631.jpg

Both rear wheels are also beginning to do the same. I've since been around the edge of the most affected front wheel with the end of a compass and cleaned and washed the oily residue away from the wheel. However the edge of the wheel still feels very tacky.

Oh no David... I always thought of the dreaded melt as something confined to the annals of manufacturing history... it appears this vile disease is something that's not been stamped out after all  :of ...

I'm off to check my cabinet for signs of infection  :'(

Oh no David... I always thought of the dreaded melt as something confined to the annals of manufacturing history... it appears this vile disease is something that's not been stamped out after all  :of ...

I'm off to check my cabinet for signs of infection  :'(

Me too Mark, certainly didn't expect to find wheel melt occuring on a model so new. It came as quite a surprise to find the wheel in that state of affairs when I removed it from it's current home. Having had the rest of the models from that particular cabinet out i've also found some clear oily residue on the shelf where it was sat. It doesn't appear to have affected any of my other models thus far.

i wonder if its more down to certain manufacturer issue's  than in general now ?? i checked through some of my older models once i saw this, and most are uh, and all seem ok, maybe ros are still using a slightly lower quallity plastic then others??? even my few ros ones seemd ok mind, but they are still boxed and with those kept in the loft so not in direct daylight??

i wonder if its more down to certain manufacturer issue's  than in general now ?? i checked through some of my older models once i saw this, and most are uh, and all seem ok, maybe ros are still using a slightly lower quallity plastic then others??? even my few ros ones seemd ok mind, but they are still boxed and with those kept in the loft so not in direct daylight??

I did wonder Sean regards to the potential harm daylight could have on my models, given my entire collection is located in a windowed upstairs room. That said i've checked the rest of my collection and this does appear to be an isolated case, none of my other models appear to be affected.

Although this is a serious business... I can't help but get the image of you in my head David, smearing factor 20 on your models wheels and rubbing in aftersun as the daylight gives way to moonlight  :D :D :D

factor 50 marky, got to protect them afterall  :D :D :D

Given how paranoid I was becoming over the situation I wouldn't have ruled it out.  :D

I noticed this on my T7070 that is on the shelf, went around the wheels with a sharp blade and cut the sticky stuff away, its also happened the other one i have that has been left in a box  :-\

I best keep an eye on my Blue Power version too Barry. Whilst i'm really frustrated with what's occured ( as I can imagine you are too ) to a very good model it is also reassuring to know i'm not the only collector to experience this happening to these particular models.

no ros models david,so nothing for me

Does appear to be an isolated issue with the ROS New Holland T series models Paul. I have I have two of the newer ROS Fiat / New Holland models aswell with no signs of deterioration around the wheels at all. The rest of my collection appears to be fine also.

glad it is just an isolated case david

Pleased in one way Paul, that it seems to be restricted just to this particular model. On the other hand it was one of my favourites and a model I thought very highly of until I discovered this issue.

Strange that is.Ive a glass cabniet that faces the sun every morning with all my models in it (heat you would imagine) but my ROS NH 7070 is fine in terms of wheel melt.

My cabinets have been situated in more or less the same place for the last couple of years Justin, and whilst they are exposed to a certain amount of daylight the window has a blind and curtains that are almost always closed, so i'm fairly confident this isn't the cause of the melt.

why not try contacting ros customer care david? ??? ? may be worth pointing out whats happend, may just be a poor batch of plastic???  going in the loft tommorrow so will check my blue power to be sure

Something i'm definitely going to do Sean, as it's such a shame a fantastic model like this should be affected in such a way. Hopefully the issue is specific to a poor batch and not a recurring problem.