What is the most popular tractor make in your area??..

Steve P

I would like to ask what is the most popular tractor make in your area??.

I live in cental Herefordshire and over the last 30 or so years i have noticed the rise and fall of tractor makes that i see going about there work. Back in the early 80s i remember Masseys was the top tractor around here, loads of 135s and 550s on the then many hop farms, David Browns and Leylands was also popular on the mixed or dairy farms, the arable farms usually had Fords or big Masseys.

As time went on obviously the DBs and Leylands vanished MB-tracs became popular with the arable farms but that was short lived, until then John Deeres was quite a rare sight around here.

Until i would say the mid 90s when John Deeres took over, the hop farms started to vanish the hop yards ripped up replaced by Potatoes or cereal crop and big John Deeres was used, Case IH tractors became the main smaller mixed farm favourite

This is how it stayed until recently, It seems the reign of the green and yellow beasts is coming to a end as over the last 12 months i have noticed a change.

It seems there are 2 new players in town!!. during this year i have seen more New Hollands and Fendts then John Deeres working, a couple of Valtras have also snook in, from my observations Case IH tractors have seemingly vanished and Masseys are still around but usually old 3000 or 6000 models.

This also seems to be the same for Combines, during this harvest the most common combine i have seen working is a New Holland apart from a few Masseys and 1 Case IH..

So thats it, it seems New Holland has replaced John Deere as the most popular tractors in Herefordshire, Fendts have also been selling well it seems, John Deere are still hanging on and it seems the loosers are Massey and Case IH..

Well Locally around me its pretty much Blue (Ford/NH), Its like a disease everyone caught and can't find a cure!  ;D  ::)  There are most makes dotted around but are deffently in the minority..

John Deere would probably be second then MF third i'd say.

Also on a side note, None of the above are the brand from the local dealer  ???  ::)  :( 

very spread out round this way, pretty much even on mf, nh, jd and fendt. used to be all jd but like other areas they seem to have lost their gloss?? biggest gains have been nh , and fendt, they used to be a rarish sight on my travels, now pretty common. good few valtra t's appearing of late to, mostly one contractor, but hes running a good few now 

Blue down here due to a superb dealer dealer network (TH Whites). From the Majors through to the newest T series the country around me is full of blue. Plenty of John Deeres now too and there are not too many farms who don't have a Massey of some sort or other from back in the day and a few with more modern models too. Fendt are there too and the odd Valtra or Claas but on any given day and on any given route through Wiltshire, you will almost certainly see a Ford/New Holland.

strange topic as i will tell you a fact :were ever i go selling my goods on that given day in that given area i sell tractors that you see in the field in that area this also goes for the seasons as well ,any way jd ,new holland and massey in that order in this part of the north east " geordieland"

In my area there are a general mix of tractors, McCormick, Landini, JD, New Holland and MF. It's what's the best deal that the farmers and contractors can get from the tractor dealers that determine what they will buy being the main criteria. 30 to 40 years ago it used to be David Brown first, Ford second.

Interesting one this, round us most older tractors are either MF or Ford with some other makes. Newer tractors, Deere is dominant due to some good dealers, Case,NH and MF popular also. Have a few of the smaller brands but farms seem to stick with the well established "big four" if you will. Mainly down to all 4 having wide dealer coverage and good products.

MF MF MF all around apart from one farm which is all JD they where all NH up to a few years ago but the still have a MF135 :) just counting up theres about 25 MFs around me  :D most farmers around me are loyal and have be MF from day 1  :)

There are 4 tractor dealers around me which from my location are about the same distance, these dealers supply MF, NH, JD & Same. Travelling a little further distant, around 40 miles, we have Claas, Lambourghini and Landini. There's one dealeship about 25 miles away that deal in McCormick.

Around me (Essex/Herts/Cambs border) it used to be all Fords until the early 90s when they lost their way a little (not selling a tractor between 125hp and 170hp didn't help I think). Since then, it's been JD 6,7 and 8 series absolutely everywhere - with virtually no NH or much else for that matter. Until about 2-3 years ago I'd say, when NH have started to reappear in quite large numbers - often as hired in for the peak period I think. Fendt are also starting to appear more and more. At the very top HP, a lot of the big JDs are being replaced by Quadtracs - I reckon there are prob 5-10 Quadtracs now working in the area.

A lot of MFs and Deere's around here, Harrogate/Skipton/York area, a few more NH's popping up. Contractors seems to prefer the Deere's, other notable beasts are Case, old Internationals and a few David Browns too, saw an FW-60 the other day too which was a treat.

Also as a side note all combines round here seem to be Claas or MF.

Im in mid Cork in southern Ireland & id say New Holland are the big favourts here ,TMs are everywhere followed by John Deere. 6 series mostly. John Deere numbers are creeping up all the time, but the Valtras have also taken off here big time & are on a par with MFs in terms of popularty now.  Fendt are also becoming common. Years ago in the 70s,80s & early 90s it was Fords like 7600s & 7610s being very popular amoung contractors , followed by MF & Fiatagri.

Quite a few MF in the immediate area, afew people have switched to MF from JD due to their problems over the last few years and the better fuel economy of the Masseys. Also a smattering of NH's, McCormicks, Case's , a few Deutz's since the local dealer took on the agency, and of course as befitting Wales several Zetors.