Is the price of brochures getting silly?

While reading through the 'price of farm models' topic I thought about the price asked for brochures and other sales literature. Is it just me or have some people lost touch with reality? I know asking is one thing and selling another but still. When I look on Ebay it seems that you get very little under £5.00. Are people actually buying things at these prices or are the sellers collectors themselves really that have no intention of actually selling an item?

I think a thorough clean-up of Ebay would not be a bad thing! Plenty of cr#p on there. Must be a summer dip, I hope. Roll on winter and reasonably priced leaflets! Maybe a 'brochure buyers guide' should be considered so people can stick to reality!

Or is it just me being annoyed?

Of course it is all down to everyone's opinion about what is (to) expensive and what not. Here some examples:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Massey-Ferguson-9240-Tractor-Brochure-Leaflet-MINT-Cond-/220837479015?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item336af08267

£10 for an MF 9240? Yes its a rare tractor in real but brochures less so. A tenner is pushing it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RABEWERK-TILLAGE-EQUIPMENT-ORIGINAL-4-PAGE-BROCHURE-/270803794368?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item3f0d29f9c0

£4.50 I'd expect to pay for a tractor brochure. Not for a furrow press. Usually 99p items.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Massey-Ferguson-Full-Range-Pocket-Catalogue-June-1985-/220837831228?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item336af5e23c

Either this booklet is VERY rare or the seller smoked some greens..

Am I just a tight git?

you will always get someone who trys it on cost wise that mf brouchure is a prime example , but on the whole  i only pay what i want to for any brouchures i buy, i have backed out on several because they went high, well what i deemed high anyway some people clearly feel that say 20 quid is acceptable, me no. at the end of the day only you as a buyer know your limits, if you go beyond them then its only you to blame

i do get your point Niels. Quite frankly i totally agree with you that there are a lot of sellers asking ridiculous or seemingly high prices for their brochures. It is very hard searching for brochures under the 5 pounds mark, while i have bought most of those for around 2-2,50 pounds. Needless to say that those dont sell (much). I have a (not strict) rule to not pay more then 5 euro's a piece. and more likely will have payed around 2-3 euro's for 90% of my collection. As  long as people are willing to pay 5 pounds for a new brochure that can be picked up at any dealer, i guess we will be seeing all those relatively high prized brochures.

regretfully this is not limited to the internet and have come accross quite a few collectors that ask very high prizes for quite standard brochures, like in Zwolle you will see plenty of people selling brochures without putting a price on the brochure and wait till you ask how much, and try to rip you off....

Oh dear oh dear... I've paid well over the odds for my stuff then I reckon...  :-[ .. I am well accustomed to paying £50 plus for a rarer MF piece.... sometimes well into three figures too  :of ... is it a fact that MF stuff carries a premium in price perhaps ??? but in my experience you won't get a lot of MF for a fiver... or a tenner in actual fact  :'( .. in fact... make that twenty quid  :of

Long may the prices of MF stuff continue to rise as well I say... if you value my collection at £5 per item... then it's only valued at a little over £10k.. if you value it at a more realistic average, reflecting what I've paid for most of the rarer pieces... then I'd guess it as being a good £30 plus... then I'd be a much happier bunny  :-* .. it's insured for £75k ... but you'd spend a long time trying to replace them all that's for sure.

• Like 1

no worries Mark, but i think what Niels is getting at, (and me too) is that a lot of the standard stuff you see on ebay, got quite high pricetags on them, compared to what we usually pay for such a brochure. I think both Niels and me, would gladly pay over 20 euro's if the brochure is rare, or even more then that.

i can only speak for myself that as long as i am not to the point that i have to look really hard to find a brochure that i do not have, i'd keep on spending my money on the less rare items and get the collection more complete from recent years down to the old (and mostly rare) stuff...

sometimes it pays to be patient and get "bargains" on ebay  ;)

Fair point Wil.. I think my problem is that I've got all the cheaper ones now... and I'm now heading well and truly, head first, into £50 territory  :'(  ... poor old Mrs F has a fit when she looks at my eay sometimes  :-[  :D :D

I recognize your situation, when I started I bought several standard cheap brochures a week. Now I buy maybe one brochure a week, but my budget keeps the same  ;D :'( .

When I buy code / language variations of relative new brochures (luckely I stop collecting with Ford NH middle 90's) I won't spend more than 5 euro per brochure. I will buy more older / rare items for more than 5 euro (of course).

I don't see selling new brochures at high prices as a crime, because I'm convinced that it is your own decision to buy that new brochure or collect it at your local dealer.

• Like 1

Wil: Exactly it doesn't just cover Ebay but I know the feeling you get at Zwolle. Don't get me wrong on this but it seems our German collector friends are VERY good at charging loads for a single item. The only way you can get a bit of discount IMO is buying say 30/40/50 at a time and getting them relatively cheap. £50, £100 or £150 for a SINGLE brochure? My god yes it might be desirable but surely its still a bit of paper! I can't for the life see why you should pay so much, sorry Mark. I am relatively 'well' off all things considered but I am not going to pay anything over £10 for a brochure! Then I'd pay £300 for a scale model for the reason that it is handcrafted, unique in its kind and I can walk round it over and over again and enjoy it. Brochure goes in a sleeve, in a file and in the collection. Might get to see the daylight once in a year or more, or 5. As I wrote on here before I actually consider tracking down brochures and buying them for little money is part of the whole collecting experience. What more could you wish when you speak to an old farmer that says oh, you collect brochures? I have lots of old uns'. Didn't knew they were worth anything? Collectors wet dream  ;) .

Good to hear I am not alone on this. Can't we have a nice little brochure classifieds section on here  ::) .

That's exactly why you are well off Niels ... And I am constantly skint by comparison ... We have a very apt expression over here that goes "a fool and his money are soon parted"  :D :D

Feel free to add any brochures you like to the FTF classifieds section.. I'm sure the boss won't mind

I think they have gone way over priced, i used to collect brochures up until about a year ago, i got fed up with the prices on ebay i also emailed or visited dealerships in search of them, not so long ago the staff was more then happy to give me a few brochures but i think dealerships have cut down on supply as towards the end they seemed a little reluctant and on a few occations refused piont blank!, i found getting anything from SDF dealerships was practically impossible.. I still have my collection and would love to add to it but prices and peoples attitude will have to change first.. :-[

What more could you wish when you speak to an old farmer that says oh, you collect brochures? I have lots of old uns'. Didn't knew they were worth anything? Collectors wet dream  ;) .

:laugh: :laugh:, I often think this when i visit a farm, Oh you like tractors do ya?, ive got the old County 1884 in the shed hasnt worked for years, give us ten bob and you can have her, bloody thing just gets in the way!!.. I think them days are long gone.. ;):laugh:

Well that won't really happen with a County 1884 no but maybe with something else. A friend of mine found a Ford 3000 in someone's haystack last year, pulled her out, new battery and ran no problem. The owner didn't want any money for it as he was glad that it went but they gave him £100 for the effort.  :)

Well ive got loads of brochures dating back mainly to the 80s plus one of the Ford5000 from the 70s  and loads are of MFs :)    I was thinking of putting my MF farming magazines dating back to the mid 90s  up for sale.  Cant remember the publications name at the moment but I used to get sent them two or three times a year up until I moved in 09 :'(    The early ones are the best with good UK farmers reports on machine performances :)  they must be worth a bit now ::)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Vervaet will send you one for nothing so this is just plain stupid. Also why is EVERYTHING rare on Ebay these days? Just because some people don't go outside doesn't mean that we are all stupid. God I can get annoyed at this sort of stuff! :-X

• 2 months later...

I guess they are simply not making any more.. the longer old father times rolls on... the rarer they become... the more collectors this hobby picks up on the way. Can only be a good thing for those who own... but not great when it comes to completing a collection.

• Like 1