Moss Hill Farm

robertw1

Mark then started to set up the new pens.

IMGP4460_zps8fa9d06f.jpg

James then brought in what was left of the feed.

IMGP4461_zps8ff97126.jpg

The last of the fert and grass seed was moved in.

IMGP4463_zpsbef3c860.jpg

IMGP4465_zps2535279d.jpg

The straw bales in the next bay where moved opposite into the other barn.

IMGP4462_zpsb73a954a.jpg

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark and Shawn had the task of sweeping the barn out.

IMGP4467_zps7fa43227.jpg

Then once they finished, the mower was brought in to do some work on before cutting silage.

IMGP4469_zps89052460.jpg

IMGP4468_zpsb53dd6d7.jpg

The browns log splitter was also put in, as the some of the bolts that hold the blade on had sheared.

IMGP4472_zpsadfa209a.jpg

Do you mean the little blue buckets? I think if I can remember they are wooden doll house flower pots. However I am looking to make some more buckets out of plastistrut or ABS, as I think they are a little out of scale.  :)

Below is the farms "new" tractor, a MF 6180. The story behind this is that it was round baling hay with a old New Holland crop-cutter, when the tractor had an electrical fault below the cab. This arced out on some rubbish starting the blaze. The hay below the tractor caught light spreading to the baler, however with a quick response from the local fire brigade and the quick thinking of the driver, it was soon got under control. The baler was to far gone and was scraped as a result, but the tractor was bought at a very good price by the farm as the insurance company where selling it off. 

Anyway a picture says a lot. :)

IMGP4485_zps793957b0.jpg

I suspect it would, luckily it has been kept in a barn since the fire and only really the cab has gone. So with any luck a second had cab from a breakers yard and some new hoses etc. underneath should get her back in business.  :)

• 3 months later...

Since the weather has stopped play on the farm to day it has been the first time for ages that I have been able to get the layout set up. While sorting out some new photos I came across some old ones from a while back, so I thought the topic is well due an up date. I feel that I have been letting the side down compared to some of the brilliant story lines from Alex with Oakley Estate Farms and Julian with Orchard Farm and Contractors  :) 

Anyway some pics of the chaps unloading the 6180

IMGP4486_zpsc8d4062d.jpg

IMGP4488_zps49917df2.jpg

IMGP4490_zps4daaa9f2.jpg

IMGP4496_zpse44c5bbc.jpg

yeah he was really knocked about abit his boss has now bought him a leaf blower to try and keep the new tractor clean! The farm used to run two masseys around the 100hp mark and a small run about but then they where all sold to buy the 5455 and a 4365 with a loader then they sold the loader tractor for the jcb but found they needed an extra tractor still, so bought the little massey 362. However with them taking on an extra few acres they needed a slightly bigger tractor so hence why they are trying this one. they might sell the little mf 362 once it is up and running or they may keep it as a spare.  :) 

Just another small update of what's going on around the farm.

The farm has finished its hay and silage now and is just waiting for the neighbouring farm to cut there wheat. They have already finished there rape and are cutting some winter barley for a relative, so once they have done that it is all go on the straw front. So the baler is just having some stuff done to it before that.

2010-01-01000005_zps703d640c.jpg

As far as the gator goes it is a great hit with everyone, with it getting alot of work. The farm used to run 2/3 quads but now only has the old quad and the gator.

2010-01-01000049_zps9e13914d.jpg

Not alot has happened to the 6180 since the last update around April time, as Tom now only works at Moss hill two days a week now instead of 3 1/2 so he has been flat out baling and carting for the last couple of weeks.

2010-01-01044523_zps00bb3f60.jpg

The 5455 hasn't missed a beat this year really taking up the slack of the need for two tractors of that size.

2010-01-01000110_zpsde800b4d.jpg

The digger has not had much work lately and is parked up waiting for a new ram seal and a service.

2010-01-01000223_zpsbedfa700.jpg

Anyway that is what is happening at the moment  :) 

Shawn and Tom went to check on the progress of the combining, they have another 40 ish acres to do today and tomorrow but after that they will be moving back to do there own so then its straw baling for the chaps at Moss Hill.

combining_zps6a9547c3.jpg

John the combine driver was checking the moisture content, the yield was averaging out around 7t/ha

checkingthegrain_zps8dcce7f1.jpg

Tom then went in the combine for a few turns to see how it was coming off.

Tomonthecombine_zps430abf29.jpg

Archived