3D Printer

jdc

Question

• Answers 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use pro desktop and solidworks and I prefer solidworks but you would need to go to a locally owned computer shop and they would be able to point you in the direction for to buy a copy of the software to use and I got mine through school

Hugh

The school I went ran solid works with their printer as well, never got chance to use it but guess its a common system and it has a database much like Google sketch up where you can import present made designs

Can anyone take a IH 674 bonnet to ASDA York and scan it for me please in 1/32nd scale just seen this on youtube asda offering scanning and printing services       :of::)

Hahaha, that's awesome and a great way of promoting the new technology. I'm sure there are loads of company's that offer the service of scanning and printing an item like a bonnet, have a look on Google for them

Who knows joe, 3D printing is coming down cost wise hugely, I keep getting Facebook messages about a printer that's $375 plus shipping, inc import taxes , it's not big, recon it would just fit a tractor cab maybe?? But for smaller bits like loader kits , bonnets stuff like that, it could be an option .not sure what $375 is in uk money, but I suspect it's cheap, my biggest issue is finding a good software program that I would find easy to use, whilst I can do all sorts with very thin glass, computer software has never been my strongest ability 

Interesting, thanks Joe, I would be looking to draw my own things to make, so doing CAD is something i'd like to carry out first then send to the 3D printer to be printed.

I would also like to CNC plastic sheeting to make stuff, thats another whole world of stuff to learn!!

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I just want someone to tell me which printer to buy, what software I need and what filaments are good to use, I do research and get bogged down with so many options I get lost!!!

If you want to make money,? just follow James,although Shapeway's prices are horrendous,if you just want to create pieces to see how it all works or for in a diorama ,just get one of these,a Creality Ender 2,I got one for my Christmas,just discovered it cost £ 86,work's really well,and easy to build and set up,number one thing about FDM printers is the BED much be level,which is difficult to do on that printer,but there is a Gcode available that makes it very easy, printer,https://www.creality3d.cn/creality3d-ender-2-p00093p1.html, filament is easy to get,these day's most folk use PLA which prints well and has no smell,my first 3D printer used ABS,which is kinda just re-cycled plastic,the whole house reeked of hot plastic when printing,it's pretty cheap,you can get a 1kg spool from around £8.00 and theres plenty of it about, filament, https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=3D+Printer+Filament+PLA&_sacat=0, there is a fairly new type of PLA filament out there now called rainbow filament it has a really nice shine on it,see here, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-Printer-PLA-Silk-Filament-1-75mm-2-2-LBS-Rainbow-1KG-For-Geeetech-Creality-3S/123665202691?hash=item1ccb053e03:m:m-pelB0GB_Zq-u5YyYH0Spg&frcectupt=true

And as for things to print,there are probably millions,most of which you can re-size to suit your own needs,here are a couple of stl file shareing sites,you may need to login,.

https://www.thingiverse.com/newest

https://www.yeggi.com/

Unless you plan on doing CAD you won't need any software as the printer comes with software to re-size and "slice" your objects stl objects need to be sliced so that the printer knows what it is produceing,lots more on line and in various Forums.

Regards

Joe.

From what I've seen the most popular software for hobbyists is Fusion 360, not sure how but I believe a free download is available. I have no experience with it so couldn't compare it to more commercially used software such as Solidworks or Creo, but as I say it is used by most people I've seen on various online forums/groups.

For model making I wouldn't buy a filament FDM printer. The ones at the lower end of the price range simply can't do the detail and you'll spend as long tidying the print up, and require as much skill as you would to make it by hand in the first place. Resin printers are the better option for our hobby, there are some in the hobbyists price range, Kathy Millatt's blog is worth a scan through. She has been using an Anycubic Photon, which I've heard a number of good reviews of, but have no personal experience using it. https://www.kathymillatt.co.uk/blog/category/next-level/3d-printing/

From my point of view seeing the use of a 3D printer in the hobby from a business point of view it doesn't make sense to buy a printer. For the price of 3D printing services it makes much more sense to me to design the part, send the .stl file to them and let them deal with all the hassle of setting supports for the part, setting up the printer, printing and just wait for the finished part to land on your doorstep. The printers they use will be far superior to those in a hobbyists budget range, capable of much greater detail. I used 3Dprintingdirects SLA printing service, which was excellent, I cast straight from the 3D printed masters, straight out of the bag, parts were clean and smooth, and the detail went as far as I could get the tyre size on the side wall. They've appear to have stopped offering the service though and their other services don't offer the same out of the box detail and finish. I will be trying Shapeways Fine Detail Plastic service next which looks like a suitable substitute. Having said that there is a number of German guys such as Trekker Tim who are running successful businesses selling 3D printed parts from their own printers, but when a truck cab costs £200-300 pounds I struggle to see the market, print a master, then cast it is my view. Nigel Paine has it right from what I can figure. He does all his own designs to super high detail, then gets the entire machine printed and sells the printed item, many examples of his work can be seen on Damien Hampson (JCB blokes) layout.

I do however understand that for many hobbyists, doing the print yourself is a huge part of the excitement. I am in a large 3D printing Facebook group and the majority of members don't have any CAD software or knowledge, they simply download existing .stl files from the internet and print them, be it novelty items or anything JML ever tried to sell you in a corner of Woolworths. Even though it is costing these people 10x more in materials to make the items than it would to buy them they see 3D printing as a hobby in itself. In this case FDM filament printers are the ideal option, cheaper and easier to set up than a resin printer.

I just want someone to tell me which printer to buy, what software I need and what filaments are good to use, I do research and get bogged down with so many options I get lost!!!

Different, but as some of the comments mention, does tie your phone up for a while , personally would go for a stand alone printer, got to sell some shares for the extension soon so may drop one in hidden away in the build, doubt she would notice ;D giving some serious looks at the link I posted earlier, as I wouldn't need any bigger, plus have found some free basic cad software use courses in Devon libraries , means a drive to them, so far they are only in Newton abbot and Exeter, but could be well worth it 

Just found the webpage of the one that's been bombarding me via faceslap and e-mails, $349 for a basic one and $419 for a few extra bits spec wise , so that's about 300 odd quid on current rates, only a smallish one but it's seriously tempting me as most of the bits I need would print with it would fit within the area it states in the specs,

http://printm3d.com/themicro/?gclid=CMipy7_Gw8sCFQso0wodLX4A-Q

Very awkward to find out infomation but it seems that these are just a glorified, desk top sized injection moulder. You 3D print a mould on a printer or CNC it in a mill in the same way you make an RTV silicone mould for resin or a metal mould is made for diecasting. Certainly not something to compete with a 3D printer in all ways but quick mass production

On the subject of 3d design software

So I have been off sick from school with a bad chest and decided to do something useful with my time so I started to do something on solidworks. The trailer was drawn in several pieces and then rendered using the built in rendering tools

kane1_zpsrxwagkpb.jpg

kane%202_zps4rv0u5mw.jpg

kane%203_zpspmochevp.jpg

kane%204_zpsrd70odwc.jpg

It's a bit big for my school's 3 d printer and it was drawn from the britians low loader so that I can plan how I'm going to cut the model up and change it without having to do it by trial and error and it allows me to make parts and see how they look without actually making them

This is getting seriously tempting now,combined scanner printer for £ 694 and simple to use, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x_iBKHU-O0  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Da-Vinci-1-0-AiO-DESKTOP-3D-PRINTER-SCANNER-ALL-IN-ONE-/121557555626?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4d6519aa a fine machine to "cut your teeth" to learn the basic's,!!

Regards

Joe.

that's the first one I have seen with the scanner fitted to, well home based one anyway, I got my cad software the other day, got it installed but not had time to have a proper play yet , hopefully I am off Friday for the weekend so I will have a look properly then, see what I can create

that's the first one I have seen with the scanner fitted to, well home based one anyway, I got my cad software the other day, got it installed but not had time to have a proper play yet , hopefully I am off Friday for the weekend so I will have a look properly then, see what I can create

You must have missed this then Sean,i posted that on the 28th October last year

Well it's been a few months since I last looked into 3D printing,and things have changed quite a bit there is now this http://www.zeus.aior...om/#!demo/c1ahu 3D printer / scanner,this machine could have serious implications as it can also Fax scans or designs,if you and a few of your mates had one each there would be no limit as to what you could pass back and forth between you,still quite expensive at the moment,there's one on E-bay dot com for £1.549,but who knows how much they'll cost this time next year, http://www.ebay.co.u...=item23429db0c6

Regards

Joe.

It certainly is not the easiest web site to navigate Barry, it show's in this grab," Limited (1762 left of 3000) ",so there appears to be 1762 left,??,but delivery expected March 2016,!! and no more production until first batch sold,

Tiko_zpsjbk7bslf.jpg

Regards

Joe.

Archived