Wind Turnbine

Manor Farm

We have planning in for a wind turnbine. It would be a total of 40m right to the top of the blade. The village has strongly objected to the wind turnbine. Its a far way from a village but the a complaning about the noize and the wildlife. The noise isnt very loud and there complaing about the starlings as the stop at the farm, we cant have solar panels as the starlings leave so much s$$t behind we cant even leave the tractors out side.

Do many people have wind turnbines round them? If so what is the noise like etc?

This is the same size

Endurance%20E-3120%2050%20kW%20wind%20turbine%20in%20field.jpg

This is a video of it

Thanks Tim

Ive spent a night in a tent a mile or 2 away from wind turbines and there is a noticeable drone off them but tbh its nothing major,if you turned your tv up a few nicks you wouldnt hear it.

Also these were probably a hell of a lot bigger,theyre the ones outside ballymena,if anyone knows them?

Welcome to my world my dad and I have been trying to get planing for 4 years now nearly there just the airport to fight with and a Bird survey to do as the airport is 9miles away but said it could interfere with the radar and they say the windmill is on a flight path but were still fighting

There is a big fight in my town if they should allow them or not. The ones complaining usually say it will wreck their view, lower their property value and they make too much noise. The funny thing is that these are the same people who always talk about needing "green" energy. Personally I think they look pretty cool, I have gone past a few wind farms a few towns over and the little sound they do make sounds kind of cool as well. The only concern I have is that I was reading an article on their high maintenance cost and failure rate and if there is any validity to the article it sounds they they can do more harm then good.

My dad's just put in for one its only going to be 80kw output (rated at 50kw) but we are trying for the 36m mast with the 9m blades so hopefully will get it may have to settle for 24m though....

If you are interested in them ask the suppliers and they will take you round some sites to listen.. My mum had to go and stand by one and agree to it prior to the order being placed.

There are a lot of different turbines and make sure you research them first. The quietest ones are the ones which spin the other way, by they i mean the air is not forced into the pole, but sucked from the pole direction. Most noise comes from the gearbox and the sound of the air hitting the mast.

I dont get why so many people think putting up one of these will make them money, at present without breakdowns, yes, BUT

The second the government decides there is plenty of electric being generated and they meet all the "green" energy targets, the tarrifs will be halved, the subsidies will disappear and you will be left with a machine that will cost you money, and on a calm day they COST money as they use electric to keep systems running and cool.

if it were me, i'd rent out the plot for a turbine and let one of the big companies take the hit and i'd take the rent easy money . . .

^^^^^ Exactly this. The only thing that makes wind power economic at present is the subsidy (which comes out taxpayers pockets ie. you and me). Their biggest problem is that they rarely (read that as never) produce their projected capacity, and a significant proportion of that is generated when it isn't needed (such as overnight). In other words, a substantial proportion of the time when they can generate will simply go to waste. There is also the small matter that when you have a big demand for power (eg. in cold weather) this often coincides with periods when there is little wind ...... ;)

On top of which the cost involved in building, transporting, erecting, and maintaining them, plus the cost of installing suitable access is likely to be for greater than the value of the (usable) power they generate in their working lifetime. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that the amount of energy consumed in their construction and erection is less than the amount of usable energy they will produce before they need to be replaced.

If wind power is the answer, someone has asked a very silly question. Ultimately, the real answer is that we have to learn to use substantially less energy than we currently do.

Edited by ploughmaster

Ultimately, the real answer is that we have to learn to use substantially less energy than we currently do.

I would fundamentally disagree with everything else you said above, but with the last line you hit the nail on the head. We will have to learn to use substantially less energy than we currently do.

Global oil production peaked in 2006 and global gas production is very close to peak. From now on there is going to be less oil and gas available every year and the price is going to increase year on year. This week the price of Brent Crude (expressed in Euro) exceeded the peak price in mid 2008, and this is before the Iranians impose their embargo on oil sales to Europe. When the real trouble starts in the Middle East we will be looking at massive price increases and probably shortages.

I would advise any farmer who can afford a wind turbine to get one - particularly dairy farmers and others who have large electricity loads. In a couple of years time (certainly by 2015) your energy costs will be a fraction of your neighbours/competitors, and any overspill you put into the grid will be worth a small fortune.

You can disagree all you like, without the amount of subsidy money being put in the direction of wind power, wind power would be making huge losses. The figures speak for themselves. Even those in the wind power industry haven't yet found a way of fiddling the figures to hide that fact.

The government have already woken up to the reality that solar energy is uneconomic, and I believe they will do likewise with wind in the future (probably more likely now they have got rid of that wind-obsessed fool Huhne from the energy department).

And don't fall for the con that electricity from other sources will be hugely more costly in the future than wind either. Electricity prices would at present be substantially lower if we had no turbines at all - the main reason for the size of electricity bills at present is because the subsidy for wind turbines is largely being raised via a hidden energy tax on our bills.

An farmer sinking money into these turbines will think he is getting a great deal of income at the beginning. but as time wears on and the turbines begin to wear and need costly repairs, and the subsidy reduces, they are likely to become a millstone round their neck.

Denmark has realised the futility of wind power; we should be learning from their experience with turbines, not trying to repeat it.

Edited by ploughmaster

loads of wind turbines down here, some of the first in the country are just being upgraded from a site of 25 to 5 or 6 bigger ones ,which produce the same amount of power, have worked under/ arround them and a mile or more away, and yes they make noise, but nothing i really noticed,werid as it seems i find them some what relaxing in a way.

they are expensive to put in, i seem to remember when they started down here it cost 1million alone to get them hooked up to the grid given where they were , all had to be dug in which reallyu pushed the costs up .yes clive has a good pont we do all need to think more about what and how we use our resourses,but my gereration is sadly not going to be the one to do that, the step daughters onwards will for sure

only way i can see wind power being really really efficant, and to many not a eyesore is when someone comes up with a turbine thats no more that 1 m across the blades and is geared enough to get the same voltage, then these can just be put on house roofs and alike, we are all used to seeing sat dishes and tv areials, so whats different about one on the roof like that

Personally I hate the sight of them and think they are a blight on the landscape and I'm glad there are non around where I live. I'm all for them producing power... but not in my back garden....put them out in the sea would be an alternative option.

only thing i would say mind tim, is dont just go ahead and start building ect ,theres a local farmer down here ,who went ahead bought the thing and has errected it, 40 or 50 m high ,and they turned the planning down, he claims he was told it would be ok hence why he started, currently hes going to spend as much removing it as getting it up, but has re applied retrospectivly again ,doubt he will win mind ,can see his point as across the valley from him is you guessed it a turbine, all be it slightly smaller, but still as visable

Anyone who thinks they are a waste of money currently has brought into the propaganda by anti wind campaigners. Currently over the lifetime of the turbine if you put the turbine in the correct place ie in a space on its own and not on or near a building etc you will pay for the turbine over the course of its life. At present the subsidies make it very attractive because you get paid stupid amounts to produce green energy. Without subsidies the turbine still would pay for itself within the 20years definitely but with subsidies the time frame is drastically reduced. The subsidy is index linked. You sign up for 20 years and you will definitely make your cash back..

The fact it is costing everyone else because the government has signed up to renewable targets which are unachievable is just tough on those who cant get them.. If you could get one and it would pay there's no doubt you would..

Heres one to note down,

A turbine near here broke down, Gearbox required replacing, no warranty etc. . .

Crane cost for 3 days, a staggering £17,000 +Vat

However, one day for a lift was beaten by windy weather, crane had to stay another day, not sure on the extra cost on that

And the gear box was in the tens of thousands but i cannot quote how much exactly as i cant recal but i will find out

Long time to pay the crane nevermind the bloomin cogbox!!!

Heres one to note down,

A turbine near here broke down, Gearbox required replacing, no warranty etc. . .

Crane cost for 3 days, a staggering £17,000 +Vat

However, one day for a lift was beaten by windy weather, crane had to stay another day, not sure on the extra cost on that

And the gear box was in the tens of thousands but i cannot quote how much exactly as i cant recal but i will find out

Long time to pay the crane nevermind the bloomin cogbox!!!

Most people running windfarms have maintenance agreements and parts & labour contracts in place from day one. It is best to hedge all the risk in return for a fixed annual charge.

only thing i would say mind tim, is dont just go ahead and start building ect ,theres a local farmer down here ,who went ahead bought the thing and has errected it, 40 or 50 m high ,and they turned the planning down, he claims he was told it would be ok hence why he started, currently hes going to spend as much removing it as getting it up, but has re applied retrospectivly again ,doubt he will win mind ,can see his point as across the valley from him is you guessed it a turbine, all be it slightly smaller, but still as visable

Are the turnbines big round your way?

We have worked witht he council, we havent started yet as we won to get the planning first

My dad's just put in for one its only going to be 80kw output (rated at 50kw) but we are trying for the 36m mast with the 9m blades so hopefully will get it may have to settle for 24m though....

If you are interested in them ask the suppliers and they will take you round some sites to listen.. My mum had to go and stand by one and agree to it prior to the order being placed.

There are a lot of different turbines and make sure you research them first. The quietest ones are the ones which spin the other way, by they i mean the air is not forced into the pole, but sucked from the pole direction. Most noise comes from the gearbox and the sound of the air hitting the mast.

Who is making your wind turnbine.

Are the turnbines big round your way?

We have worked witht he council, we havent started yet as we won to get the planning first

yes mate, can name 4 or 5 biggish farms of them, along with numerous other single / double sites ,theres also some new wing blade ones, they spin round in a vertical position,like a washing line so to speak not a big blade like a plane blade ones we are used to

most are down in cornwall, cerin(massey boy) has at least 3 farms within 10 miles of him at a guess,

yes mate, can name 4 or 5 biggish farms of them, along with numerous other single / double sites ,theres also some new wing blade ones, they spin round in a vertical position,like a washing line so to speak not a big blade like a plane blade ones we are used to

most are down in cornwall, cerin(massey boy) has at least 3 farms within 10 miles of him at a guess,

You're not wrong there, but we have got plenty of wind usually. (cue jokes about flatulence)

Who is making your wind turnbine.

The Turbine is an endurance (think its american) http://www.endurancewindpower.co.uk/e3120.html. He originally was going with Bowler energy but now has actually gone with Hallmark Tractor.. It all came down to the way in which they approached the planning side.

I deal with alot of planning applications for properties and they are a pain in the bum, but these people do the application then have a specalist pull it apart, so that when it goes in they have all the bits likely to be asked for. This means that they cant prolong the decision as the info is already provided. This should mean the application is in and approved before too many people have a chance to object. Its in for planning so we will see. May end up wth a 24m pole rather than 36 but we should get one. Think they are about £280k installed.

Edited by schw84

The Turbine is an endurance (think its american) http://www.endurance...o.uk/e3120.html. He originally was going with Bowler energy but now has actually gone with Hallmark Tractor.. It all came down to the way in which they approached the planning side.

I deal with alot of planning applications for properties and they are a pain in the bum, but these people do the application then have a specalist pull it apart, so that when it goes in they have all the bits likely to be asked for. This means that they cant prolong the decision as the info is already provided. This should mean the application is in and approved before too many people have a chance to object. Its in for planning so we will see. May end up wth a 24m pole rather than 36 but we should get one. Think they are about £280k installed.

What model number is it. We have planning in for one but not chosen which people to go with